Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wilder Life - A new book

Go down 
+8
ChristinaAL
Vanesa
alexczarn
Gin
LIWnut
bethandmanly
JW
MissOleson
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Indiff10

The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm

I discovered the other day that a library here will be getting this in book form. So I immediately requested it so that I am the first to get it when it comes in. Someone else has found out about it, too, though. So I will have to hurry up and read it when I get it because I won't be able to renew it as there is that other person who will be waiting for it. I don't know yet when it will arrive. All it says is that it is "In Process".

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Blue Willow
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Blue Willow

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 3:40 am

I met Wendy and her boyfriend (now fiance), Chris last year at Laurapalooza. Seeing them together made me wish I'd brought along my husband, who patiently indulges my obsession with all things related to Laura; but who could not attend due to work commitments.

I am not too worried about irreverence. To be completely honest, I have been seen prancing about at my local historical society in a bonnet....knowing full well how silly it must look to the "average joe."

This book is high on my list of titles to read this season.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm

But this is not irreverence. It's rather funny! Smile I call irreverene when you wouldn't respect the memory of a person acting in a ridicoulous way or writting mocking things about them. You didn't this this. I think that wearing a bonnet, you are showing your love and interest in Laura's stories and memories. Thumbsup

Vanesa.

The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 2:49 pm

I just ordered The Wilder Life, so I will give a review as soon as graduation is over and family is out of my house. lol
I'm ready to curl up with the animals and do some reading.

The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Well, just finished The Wilder Life. I think it was a very well written book. It takes the insight of one fan, in this case (the Author, Wendy) and tells of how Laura has touched her life since her childhood. She goes into how she would often go into "LAURA WORLD" as a young girl and create this friendship with Laura. Wendy would often pretend to show Laura around our modern world.
After the death of her Mother she found the Little House books in some things being sold. She again picked them up and begin to read. Her boyfriend Chris was brave enough to join her. Wendy tells how she HAD to do all things Prairie....like learning to churn butter, and trying her hand at twisting hay.
With Chris in tow they headed out to visit all the homesites. Their adventures don't always turn out as planned but she does catch enough of the magic of Laura to feel she has entered "Laura World" again.
Although we as fans don't understand our obsession and longing for all things Laura, we enjoy doing it with others that understand why...even when there aren't words to say WHY we do.
I'm glad Wendy wrote this book....I had no idea of the amount of books out there about the Ingalls/ Wilders. She promotes those other authors as well as the homesites respectivly. I didn't feel she talks down about the family or anyone involved, she simply gave one fans opinion.
As for rating on cleanliness.....hmmm G-15. There is a spot where she quotes Melissa G, quoting Michael Landon. So, its a quote of a quote, of a quote. Nonetheless, a naughty one. I add the book to my many Laura related books....gladly.

The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, I finished this awhile ago. I just haven't been able to get on here until now.

Um....How do I say this? I respect everyone else's opinions. Completely. And I definitely have my own. But all I will say about this book is that I thank God I didn't spend the money on it. I thought it was one of the most pointless books that I have ever read. And the only reason I was determined to finish it was because I want to reach the 50 books on my Goodreads Challenge list.

That is all I care to say about it. Smile

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm

But what are your reasons to think it's so bad? scratchead I'm sure it is greenS , but now you awake my curiosity about this book! grinsmiley

Vanesa.

The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Vanesa wrote:
But what are your reasons to think it's so bad? scratchead I'm sure it is greenS , but now you awake my curiosity about this book! grinsmiley

Vanesa.
I don't really know if I care to say why this book irritated me so much. I am afraid that if I say some of those things, it just might make me look like a horrible person. Smile I got myself so irriated with some of the things that she said that I even had to read the passages to other people (amazingly I found a review online where another person had done the same thing I did!). I understand some of what she said she was saying for "humor" (not that I even cracked a smile at any of it), but there were other comments made that I thought there was no reason for her to make them other than to be nasty. Others probably won't view it that way, I know, but I did. As for her wanting to "rediscover" her childhood, or whatever that was, after her mother died, I didn't really buy it. Maybe I am just a cynical, nasty person, but I just think she used that as an excuse to write the book. And amazingly it took until the last chapter for her to realize why she had done it. And I got so tired of her talking about her Laura World, or whatever she called it. She talked about it like everyone was that way when they were kids. I never was. I loved Little House, but I didn't live in that fantasy world. And her opinions of the Ingalls (particulary Caroline) annoyed me. Not once does she say "in my opinion" - unless I managed to skip that in there. I understand not necessarily liking the way a person may have viewed things in the past, but why on earth couldn't she consider the situation that Caroline lived in at the time? And I was so tired of hearing about her boyfriend. She's engaged now? Well, she can have him! One thing she is really bad at (or I should say "good at") is being repetitive. I just hated this book so much!

You know, my mother had been sick for awhile. And I have been the one taking care of her. Thank God nothing has happened in all of this time, but if, God forbid, something should happen to her because of this, I highly doubt I am going to have a sudden urge to relive my childhood in this crazy way just to end up writing a book about it with my revelation being in the last chapter. I just don't think so. I know I am different from other people, but it is the way I feel about it. F.Y.I. My mother was the one that I read most of the passages to and she was having the same reaction I was. In fact, anytime I bring this book up, she always says to me "That book was so ridiculous".

This isn't the only book that I absolutely detest. There is also Rebecca, A Wrinkle In Time and The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte (talk about repetitive - when I was reading that book I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs "OK. You hate Charlotte Bronte. You think she's ugly. Get over it!" - if you've ever read the book, you would know what I was talking about).

I did take away one thing from the book, though. The explanation as to why there is a big Asian community in Walnut Grove. Yes, I do admit to the fact that I questioned that while I was there (in my mind), but if you had ever been there, I think you would wonder the same thing. Why of all places would there be an Asian community - Hmong, at that - in Walnut Grove, Minnesota? So that was explained to me.

But you will probably like it. Smile Everyone seems to but myself and that person whose review was basically the same as my opinion. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wilder Life - A new book   The Wilder Life - A new book - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wilder Life - A new book
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2