Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lasagna!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 89
Mood : Lasagna! Innoce10

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Pam was nice enough to think of me when someone here at LHOP (I believe Jacob) said they wanted a lasagna recipe.. sorry it took me so long to get to posting it (I'll be honest, I get waaaaay too sidetracked by Facebook and Farmville when I get some 'net time!) but here it is as best I could do with most of the recipe being a pinch of this and a handful of that! I don't see the original thread so move this wherever needed.. :)

Sauce:

In the BIGGEST pot you have, warm up some olive oil over low flame. Chop about 1/2 a large onion & about 6 healthy sized garlic cloves in the food processor. Feel free to use more or less onion & garlic depending on your taste! There should be enough olive oil cover the little bits of onion & garlic. DON'T let them burn, even slightly burned will leave aftertaste in the sauce. If they're turning brown they're passed ready! Add 2 30oz cans of tomato puree & 2 6oz cans of tomato paste, then equal parts water. Turn up flame to medium, stir up mixture w/ fork to break up blobs of tomato paste. Add salt, black pepper, parsley, oregano & basil to taste. Add the spices a little at a time, you can always add more if it's not strong enough for you, but you sure can't un-spice it LOL! Cover sauce & let simmer (it needs to thicken, it's gonna look watery at this point). Leave cover slightly askew to let out steam & stir occasionally.

Now, meat group!

In a BIG frying pan put 2 pkgs (5 pc in each pk) Italian sausages over low to medium flame. Add a can of room temperature beer & let fry. Add another beer as previous one evaporates. Flip sausages occasionally. You'll see the brown stickiness forming in the bottom of the pan as each beer evaporates. That is gonna be pure FLAVOR for your sauce! After approx 4 beers, sausages should be done. Turn the flame up higher towards that 4th beer to make the sausages brown up nice, flipping more frequently to prevent burning. Put sausages in sauce, either whole or sliced up, your choice. Pour all of that sausage/beer stickiness on the bottom of the pan into the sauce too. Then put some hot water in the bottom of the pan & get all the scrapings you can out of it. That scrapings/water mix goes in the sauce as well. Using that same pan (no need to wash it) brown 4 pounds of chop meat. Drain the chop meat when done. Put about half in the pot of sauce. The other half will go inside the lasagna.

Boil enough water for a 1lb box of lasagna noodles. Add just a splash of vegetable oil to the water to prevent noodles from sticking. Drain noodles as soon as they're al dente. If they get too soft they're harder to place in the lasagna pan. While noodles are boiling make the ricotta filling. HUGE bowl, add 1 30oz container of ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, and (to taste) shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper & parsley. If you're not sure how much of the "to taste" ingredients to add, leave the eggs out 'til last so you can taste the mixture as you add stuff without eating raw egg & risking salmonella. Once you've got the cheese mixture to your liking, add eggs.

Time to start layering! Our glass baking pan is 11"x15", so in as close a size pan as you have, put a little bit of sauce on the bottom. Layer of noodles, a little sauce, layer of chop meat, a little sauce, layer of ricotta mixture, a little sauce, start over w/ the noodles. Should be about 3 layers. In 350° preheated oven, bake lasagna for 1 hour - 1st half covered w/ tinfoil, 2nd half uncovered. Pack on the shredded mozzarella on top to melt for the last 5-10 of baking.

If at any time the sauce seems too thick (it's gonna be CHUNKY!) feel free to add more hot water. Add the water a little at a time. You can always add more but you can't un-water it LOL! I hope it comes out great! Thanks to my mom and all the years she made Sunday sauce! loveheart

If you had some bacon, you could have some bacon and eggs, if you had some eggs ~ Joe Walsh
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Lasagna! Happy011

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Sounds Wonderful Ange, Thank you very much for the Recipe

Sorry about the Mispelling of your name Ooops

Lasagna! Jacobk10Lasagna! Jacob210

Last edited by JW on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Oh, Ange, this sounds SO good. I told Tim we need to plan a nice dinner one time soon when the band comes over to practice and I think this lasagna will make a group of hungry guys very happy. Thanks again for taking the time to post it. Smile

Lasagna! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 1:58 am

It'll be enough to feed everyone too! You're gonna need a crane to lift it out of the oven! :)

If you had some bacon, you could have some bacon and eggs, if you had some eggs ~ Joe Walsh
Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 am

Wink at'cha JW!

And hey, how do you correctly spell JW? laugh3

Last edited by poo_cat on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : Lasagna! Happy010

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 am

Sounds delicious, Ange! And I'm guessing w/the beer the alcohol all evaporates away so its OK for the kiddos? Any specific brand?

I've been trying new recipes lately so this one will be on my list. Thumbsup

Lasagna! HummerLasagna! MistiKeeperLasagna! Bookclub5Lasagna! Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:31 am

poo_cat wrote:
It'll be enough to feed everyone too! You're gonna need a crane to lift it out of the oven! :)

Laughing I bet you're right. I can't wait to try it. It sounds so full of flavor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lasagna! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:17 pm

OMG Misti I KNEW I'd forget something! My apologies!!! The kid-friendly recipe is made with ginger ale instead! When you make a recipe like this where the food cooks for several hours, the alcohol will cook away and just leave the flavor, but I can understand still being uneasy. I've made both versions for Larry and he loved both. The taste is near identical with the ginger ale version being less-than-a-hair sweeter, but if you made the ginger ale version first you'd never know! Wink

Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:52 am

P.S. Misti - no particular brand of anything is needed. Most of the groceries we buy are generic unless someone has a particular distaste for something. Fresh herbs are always better, and hey, if you wanna peel and seed a few pounds of Roma tomatoes it sure wouldn't hurt! But we modern working women can save that for the little old nonas sitting in the hills of Sicily. Wink

lol, this thread has led me to discover I really like that Wink smiley! loveheart

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : Lasagna! Happy010

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks, Ange! I'm gonna try & make it soon. I've been trying out some new recipes lately and this one will fit right in.

Ok, I will try it with ginger ale; I know you said you use 4 beers, how much ginger ale do you use?

Lasagna! HummerLasagna! MistiKeeperLasagna! Bookclub5Lasagna! Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
poo_cat
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Same amount Misti - approximately 4 cans. If your sausage is cooked enough using 3 cans, or if you slow simmer them and it takes 5-6 cans, that is ok! Same thing with the spices - use the recipe as a guide and adjust it to your broods' taste. That's the great thing about making Sunday sauce, you just have to keep tasting and sampling and eating it to make sure it's just right! Wink

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 pm

I have the sauce simmering on the stove at this very moment, and it already tastes delicious. I can't wait to taste the finished product.

My stomach was growling all through church this morning just thinking about it. Ooops

Lasagna! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

I'm getting hungry reading your recipe, and it's 11 PM. LOL but I am going to save your recipe and try this sometime. The beer/sausage combo sounds yummy! I've actually never had lasagna with any meat besides chopped meat so I'm eager to try something new. I wish I looked here sooner, this would've been a yummy dinner for the boys some Sunday night for football too!

Lasagna! ChristinaKeeper2 Lasagna! 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:04 am

I made it Sunday when Tim had his band over for practice. I got a lot of compliments about the sausage in the sauce. It makes a lot, so it's great for a crowd. And, we've been enjoying some leftovers too.

Lasagna! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lasagna! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lasagna!   Lasagna! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lasagna!
Page 1 of 1