Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dark Chocolate News!

Go down 
+6
ChristinaAL
Carol
pamh36
Savannah
Joe
Rob
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Goodsi10

Dark Chocolate News! Empty
PostSubject: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 6:48 pm

I found this on AO Health. Not that it would be of interest to anybody in particular on the board... Dark Chocolate News! 68167 Dark Chocolate News! 129986

Chocolate: The New "Super Fruit"?

Here's another notch in your belt, chocoholics. Maybe.

Turns out chocolate isn't just good for your health. It's really, really good for your health. As in, "worthy of being called a super fruit" kind of good, according to researchers at the Hershey Center for Health and Nutrition.

Yes, you read that right. So, considering the source, could this possibly just be a hype-driven ploy to sell more chocolate? We'll let you decide.

A team of researchers at the Hershey lab say they've turned up more evidence of chocolate's powerful antioxidant benefits.

When comparing the levels of polyphenols and flavanols in cocoa powder to those in fruit powder used to make juice, they found more in the cocoa, "gram for gram," they say.

"Cacao seeds are a 'Super Fruit' providing nutritive value beyond that of their macronutrient composition," gushes the paper's senior author Debra Miller in a press release.

The findings, published in Chemistry Central Journal and funded by the chocolate giant in Hershey, Pa., also showed that dark chocolate and cocoa powder had a "greater antioxidant capacity" and a "greater total flavanol and polyphenol content than the fruit juices," according to the authors.

They also threw hot chocolate mix into the mix and learned that because of the processing involved in making it, there are few -- if any -- health benefits.

Antioxidants -- found in fruits like grapes, strawberries and pomegranates, as well as some juices, dark chocolate, green tea and red wine -- are agents that fight cell-damaging free radicals. Those compounds are associated with a host of health problems and can take a toll on the body as we age.

So? Does chocolate deserve its newly given title? A more neutral expert tells AOL Health no.

"Think: marketing," says NYU food studies professor and nutrition guru Marion Nestle (pronounced like the word that means "settle snugly," not like that other chocolate company's name). "There is no such thing as a super fruit. And the last time I looked, chocolate was still candy."

The word "super fruit" was coined by the food and beverage industry in 2005. It describes fruits and fruit-based drinks that combine antioxidant benefits and high nutrient content with a taste that's appealing to consumers.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 pm

ROB, DON'T POST THAT!!!
I can already hear my mother singing "A Hershey a day keeps the doctor away."

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Dark Chocolate News! Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm

My Mom will be singing it, too... and she's 90. Dark Chocolate News! 135245
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Dark Chocolate News! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Rob wrote:
I found this on AO Health. Not that it would be of interest to anybody in particular on the board... Dark Chocolate News! 68167 Dark Chocolate News! 129986

*gasp* Does somebody you know like chocolate, Robbie? Dark Chocolate News! 129986

AO Health wrote:
Chocolate: The New "Super Fruit"?

YES!!! Dark Chocolate News! 570976 Dark Chocolate News! 303544

Last edited by Savannah on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Joe wrote:

Which is very close to my own personal motto: A Dove a day keeps the doctor away. Dark Chocolate News! 185146

Dove. Dark. Chocolate. Dark Chocolate News! 702150
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Savannah wrote:
Joe wrote:

Which is very close to my own personal motto: A Dove a day keeps the doctor away. Dark Chocolate News! 185146

Dove. Dark. Chocolate. Dark Chocolate News! 702150

loveheart Lol, I had first written 'Dove Bar' but changed it because I thought someone might think I meant the soap.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm on my way out to stock up on some dark chocolate right now. For my health, of course.

Dark Chocolate News! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Of course, Pam! I bought some today for the same reason. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. batEyes
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 am

Well enough chit chat... who wants to go swimming?! Dark Chocolate News! Wonkas

Dark Chocolate News! Charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_06

Dark Chocolate News! Horses10
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 am

Miss Carol, I DO, I DO!!
Rob, don't you even think about it. I'm sure Carol means no skinny dipping!!

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 pm

pamh36 wrote:
I'm on my way out to stock up on some dark chocolate right now. For my health, of course.

Back to the grocery store tomorrow for me! All I have are chocolate chips for baking...gotta grab some Hershey bars! grinsmiley

Dark Chocolate News! ChristinaKeeper2 Dark Chocolate News! 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 pm

wow.really grinsmiley

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Ok...gonna pop some bubbles here, but I don't like dark chocolate. Now what?

Dark Chocolate News! Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 pm

i don't like white chocolate lol

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:52 am

Gin wrote:

Place all of the dark chocolate in a sturdy box. Tape it securely shut. When that's done, address the box to me, and send it my way. I'll make the sacrifice and eat the dark chocolate for you. batEyes No need to thank me. Dark Chocolate News! 811339
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Savannah wrote:
Gin wrote:

Place all of the dark chocolate in a sturdy box. Tape it securely shut. When that's done, address the box to me, and send it my way. I'll make the sacrifice and eat the dark chocolate for you. batEyes No need to thank me. Dark Chocolate News! 811339

I'll do the same Wink but if you can send me some white chocolate? batEyes

Dark Chocolate News! Alexke11

Last edited by alexczarn on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To avoid the deputy...)
Back to top Go down
laurasangel
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
laurasangel

Number of posts : 13
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! 5_sad10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:54 am

i eat dark chocolate a lot

"she shall be free and welcome to explore the Galaxy i have reclaimed for our species" Imperator Jeremy on the fate of Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power, nothing else matters" Nietzsche
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 am

You will find many kindred spirits here, Jeremy. Dark Chocolate News! 811339
Back to top Go down
laurasangel
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
laurasangel

Number of posts : 13
Mood : Dark Chocolate News! 5_sad10

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:30 am

i also ate the premium kinds that are even darker and richer mmmm loveheart

"she shall be free and welcome to explore the Galaxy i have reclaimed for our species" Imperator Jeremy on the fate of Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power, nothing else matters" Nietzsche
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Chocolate News!   Dark Chocolate News! Empty

Back to top Go down

Dark Chocolate News!
Page 1 of 1