Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The good news and the bad news.......

Go down 
+6
Debbie
Rhonda
bethandmanly
LM
flatbroke
Savannah
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The good news and the bad news....... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Happy010

The good news and the bad news....... Empty
PostSubject: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2007 10:54 pm

So, which do people usually prefer? Bad news first, or good? Huh? :sillySmiley:

The bad news yesterday, for me, was that my hard drive crashed. *sigh* (Actually....when I tried to do some basic things to check what it could be, and the screen went black with "Operating system could not be found" flashing before my eyes. . . . I did more than sigh. But that's a whole 'nother story. . . )

The good news outweighs the bad in this case, though. Bless his heart, my older brother came to the rescue. He had a spare hard drive hanging around his house, so he and I spent the morning rebuilding the laptop, downloading updates, and finding my favorite sites. (Haha, I found you all again! So you're still stuck with me. grinsmiley ) AND. . . one thing that I was most upset about was all of the photos that I may have lost. I couldn't recall how long it had been since I'd backed up my pictures onto disc. But just a minute ago, I found a disc with almost 300 pictures on it. Some are no big deal - but there were several that mean a lot to me, and I was absolutely thrilled to see them!

My youngest niece is almost three, and was visiting me yesterday when I was updating my laptop - just as the old hard drive crashed. When it dawned on me that saving it was a lost cause, I said "Oh stink". My little niece turned around and said to me, "Who did it?". :Hahaha:
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Party010

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 pm

Savannah wrote:
I said "Oh stink".

Oh man, such language. affraid Can we have a mod in this thread STAT? We'll have no talk like that young lady. :bash:

Glad you got your computer fixed, but sorry you lost some pics. :alright:
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

Number of posts : 812
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Party010

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 2:08 am

Savannah.
Ooooh, sounds like a virus to me! My computer had one a couple of days before Christmas. I was saving the latest addition to my fanfiction.... Blue ...excuse me...I always choke up.... bawling Oh, all my work...my work is gone, gone, gone!!!! banghead bawling banghead bawling

Ahem. Sorry for the outburst. I lost over 2,000 songs, about 150 photos, approx. 1,200 pages of typed work in Word, and whatever other file existed. The whole situation made me... 🤢 Luckily, I'd saved all the previous fanfic pages to a disc before the virus.

You said your screen went black. So did mine, and I got the same message that you did, along with others. I'd just saved my work (6-8 pages) to the computer, and decided to wait until the next day to save to a disc. Bad move. (An "Oh, stink" moment? :think: :haha: ) As I was waiting for my computer to go into "Standby" mode, the screen went black, and the computer made a loud "whooom!" sound and shut off completely. I tried to turn it back on, but it shut down the same way about 3-4 times in a row. Finally, it came on, but the screen was looking all crazy-Matrix, except the colors started off w/ a black screen and white text, then everything became pink, purple, blue and white horizontal stripes. Aaarrggh! Blue Obviously, my virus protection wasn't doing a good job.

I finally got a service rep to help me over the phone, I was lucky enough to have a disc to get online with. It took several attempts, but I made it.

Like you, I'd saved tons of photos to discs already, but those that weren't saved are going to be missed.

I know, I know..enough about me! :shy:

I'm just glad you were able to get back on track for the most part. Good luck with gathering your favorites and everything else you had.

Take care. Wave

The good news and the bad news....... LMKeeper

dreamNwish Photo Art & Gifts - http://www.zazzle.com/dreamnwish_photo_art

"If you can't be good, be good at it."
Back to top Go down
http://hisbadgeherbadgefanfiction.bravehost.com/index.html

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 am

LOL...Litttle kids say the funniest things.

That totally sucks about your hardrive..but i'am glad ur brother was kind enough to give u another one..

I felt the same when i crushed my old pc..I was actreal crying lol
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 7:41 am

That's too bad Savannah. Just remember, computers are supposed to make life easier...when they actually work.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Purple2

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 7:53 am

banghead Been there, done that......in fact....a few months back, hubby's computer crashed and he lost a lot of information.......and pictures..............the pictures that were lost because he didn't do a back up to a disk?!?! OUR CRUISE!!! bawling

Glad you're back Savannah!!! :woohooo:

The good news and the bad news....... Rhonda10The good news and the bad news....... Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : The good news and the bad news....... Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 am

I'm so sorry that happened to you, Savannah. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed quickly, and didn't lose all of your pics.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 9:33 am

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that happened. But Yay! to your brother for coming to the rescue. This place certainly wouldn't be the same without you here.

I'm glad to hear that most of your pictures are saved on a disk. I lost some pics on the last computer we had for the same reason, and I didn't have them saved. One of them was a pic I had of Kelsey all dressed up in a witches costume with this huge green nose that had a wart on it. She won a prize for scariest costume at our church party, lol. Anyhow, that was the only picture I had of her in that costume and now it's lost forever.

The good news and the bad news....... PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyThu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 am

From a person who's been there, like I see that several of us here have lol... we feel your pain. Blue

I'm glad your brother was there to help! Thumbsup

The good news and the bad news....... Horses10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptySun Mar 25, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm glad you got it taken care of Savannah. The prairie just wouldn't be the same without you! Wave

The good news and the bad news....... ChristinaKeeper2 The good news and the bad news....... 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Melissa

Number of posts : 561

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptySun Mar 25, 2007 9:23 pm

I'm so sorry this had to happen to you! But i'm glad you found us again :)

The good news and the bad news....... MelissaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptySun Mar 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Thank you, everyone. It was a huge blessing to be able get back online relatively quickly. Last night, I found another disc that I didn't even remember having made, and it had almost 600 pictures. One of them is of my niece and nephews biking the trails with me. I thought it was gone for good, and was so thrilled to see that it was on that disc!

Rhonda. Blue I'm so sorry about your cruise pictures being lost. I hope that you had some of them backed up.

Pam, did you happen to e-mail the picture of Kelsey to anyone? I found a few pictures of back woods trails in my yahoo account. I had mailed them to other people, and my yahoo account saved them as attachments. I'm sorry about you losing her pic. That's exactly what I was talking about - those pictures that can't be replaced.

LM!! Oh the agony! All of that lost work! Just remember that some of the great novels that have been written, have been destroyed once, and the authors had to start all over again.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyMon Mar 26, 2007 7:49 pm

Savannah wrote:
Pam, did you happen to e-mail the picture of Kelsey to anyone? I found a few pictures of back woods trails in my yahoo account. I had mailed them to other people, and my yahoo account saved them as attachments. I'm sorry about you losing her pic. That's exactly what I was talking about - those pictures that can't be replaced.

No, unfortunately I didn't email the picture to anyone. This happened several years ago. But, I did learn my lesson and won't let that happen again!

The good news and the bad news....... PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyMon Mar 26, 2007 8:34 pm

Blue That's too bad, Pam. But, at least you don't have to worry about it happening again, with backing them up. I'm paranoid now, and have back up discs for my backed up pictures. LOL!
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... EmptyMon Mar 26, 2007 10:47 pm

Boy, do I have computer talent. I'm trying to get a degree in computer studies, and am now working with them almost every day, and what do I do? In attempts to free up some space, I decided to move a lot of files to disk and delete "old stuff" I no longer use. It worked great, I freed up about 10 GB of my harddrive. The only problem? I delete the drivers for my printer!. LOL. When I have time this week, I'm going to try to download them for dell.com, b/c I'm not sure where the disk is for it.

The good news and the bad news....... ChristinaKeeper2 The good news and the bad news....... 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The good news and the bad news.......   The good news and the bad news....... Empty

Back to top Go down

The good news and the bad news.......
Page 1 of 1