Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wedding

Go down 
+10
Praire Girl
Kamberley
Shell
ChristineLovesLHOTP
jes9
Honeybee
Vanesa
Krissy
Rhonda
bethandmanly
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : The Wedding - Page 2 Purple2

The Wedding - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:47 pm

It was sweet of Mr.Oleson to want to send a present to Mary for her wedding.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : The Wedding - Page 2 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Spanky wrote:

I agree.i've always thought he wished hae had a daughter like laura.LOL
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : The Wedding - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Spanky wrote:

He was a sweet and decent man, pity he was married to that winch!
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 am

I just noticed something odd in this episode when I watched it yesterday. It was stated in the telegram that Mary sent that the wedding would be on August 15. When the telegram arrives, Charles and Caroline talk about the date, and one of them says that's only three weeks away. At dinner that night, they talk about how they're going to get there. Laura, Albert, and Carrie all want to go, but Charles says it will take too long, so Charles and Caroline decide to go by train. But, as this discussion is going on, what do we see behind the family? A roaring fire in the fireplace! If it's three weeks before August 15, you can do the math to determine that it's July 25 while this discussion is going on. It must have been an unusually cold summer in southwest Minnesota that year!

On a related note, did anybody ever notice that specific calendar dates are rarely mentioned on LHotP? When there's a reference to a date, it seems it's usually something like "the 15th of this month". Rarely, it seems, is a specific date like "August 15" mentioned.

The Wedding - Page 2 JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 am

I was always surprised that Laura mentioned what year it was at the end of Winoka Warriors. You are right about the date thing. Was rarely mentioned....

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : The Wedding - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am

jes9 wrote:
But, as this discussion is going on, what do we see behind the family?  A roaring fire in the fireplace!  If it's three weeks before August 15, you can do the math to determine that it's July 25 while this discussion is going on.  It must have been an unusually cold summer in southwest Minnesota that year!
Nice catch!  I love stuff like that.  Once on the Simpsons they had an episode set on Valentine's Day, but it apparently didn't occur to them that that's in the winter, so the outdoor scenes were all very summery-looking.  Years later they acknowledged the mistake on a flashback show, with Lisa doing a voiceover:  "It was an unusually warm February 14th, which is why none of us were wearing jackets..." HeeHee
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 7:52 pm

How did Susan Goodwill got lost? One minute the blind children, was getting off the wagon, into the blind school. Next thing you know, Susan is missing. The adults told everyone to hold hands. She was far away from the blind school. Did Susan forgot to hold of the children hand?

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Buttercup wrote:
How did Susan Goodwill got lost? One minute the blind children, was getting off the wagon, into the blind school. Next thing you know, Susan is missing. The adults told everyone to hold hands. She was far away from the blind school. Did Susan forgot to hold of the children hand?

Susan Goodspeed (she had a different last name a few episodes before, which I laughed at watching the other night) just conveniently got lost far enough so that Adam and Mary would have to work really hard to find her under those stairs, the same ones where Albert had lived under a few episodes before.

I think they purposely made it that dusty and windy so we couldn't figure out how fast and where Susan went after getting off the wagon, typical Little House plotting  Laughing

I loved how nervous Adam was about proposing to Mary. Also Adam seemed to break down as if he were a little boy at times when it came to Mary. To see how devastated he was after Mary told him she didn't want to marry him after first saying yes was sad. Breaking down in Pa's arms and with David Rose's highlighted dramatic underscore of that scene, made me want to cry.

I laughed at how they could even have a wedding in the school with everything all dusty from the storm, but hey they had to go on with life, and time was of the essence I guess. Smile
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 10:08 pm

reneerose wrote:
Buttercup wrote:

Susan Goodspeed (she had a different last name a few episodes before, which I laughed at watching the other night) just conveniently got lost far enough so that Adam and Mary would have to work really hard to find her under those stairs, the same ones where Albert had lived under a few episodes before.

I think they purposely made it that dusty and windy so we couldn't figure out how fast and where Susan went after getting off the wagon, typical Little House plotting  Laughing

I loved how nervous Adam was about proposing to Mary.  Also Adam seemed to break down as if he were a little boy at times when it came to Mary.  To see how devastated he was after Mary told him she didn't want to marry him after first saying yes was sad.  Breaking down in Pa's arms and with David Rose's highlighted dramatic underscore of that scene, made me want to cry.

I laughed at how they could even have a wedding in the school with everything all dusty from the storm, but hey they had to go on with life, and time was of the essence I guess. Smile  

That's it. Goodspeed. Don't know, where I got Goodwill from?

They want it be mystery to LHOTP fans. Good thinking.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I was thinking about this even more, and I think it might have benefitted this episode even more if they had made this a two parter with a good subplot between the time Mary cancels the wedding and the actual dust storm.
Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2016 2:18 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I thought Adam and Mary had a lot of chemistry but that the trials of being blind and parents was glossed over also.

This article shows the challenges, as far as parks, they said to pick fenced in areas, etc. The prairie wasn't fenced! Getting places, teaching, small things like seeing stains (or not)What's doable now, I can't see people doing then, but maybe they did.
http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/brochures/BlindParents/ParentingWithoutSight.html

I liked that article a lot. I wish they hadn't glossed over the trials of being blind and blind parents of a sighted child, those would have been very interesting storylines. If they had had Adam and Mary's 2nd child survive, maybe they could have explored that more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wedding   The Wedding - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wedding
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2