Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electronic Gadgets at Church

Go down 
+6
Savannah
alexczarn
Joe
bethandmanly
Krissy
Carol
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Happy010

Electronic Gadgets at Church Empty
PostSubject: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 pm

With today's modern world full of gadgets... it is hard not to miss people with cell phones, etc.

My question today is: Do you think it is okay to use your phone or tablet during church for worshiping purposes?

Electronic Gadgets at Church Vat

I will not even mention laptops because that is very noticeable. But tablets can be used discreetly and cell phones as well. Today there are applications that let you access the bible online.

If you owned a tablet... would you use it to take notes or read the bible on the tablet? What about taking notes on the sermon. Would you go electronic or would you use paper and pen instead?

I think that if I had a tablet, (specially HTC Flyer, since it lets you use a stylus pen) I would use it discretely to note down interesting bible points.
One must be careful with these things though because they can easily distract you, but if you focus on the subject at hand... I think it would be neat to use. On the other hand... if my brother or sister sees it as a distraction, then I wouldn't use it, or probably move to another seat lol Ooops

Electronic Gadgets at Church Horses10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I see nothing wrong with it..has long has people are being repectful of others around them.& not doing other things they should't in church. Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Not that I know how to use one, but I would as long as it wasn't distracting to others. My handwriting is horrible, no matter what.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm

I agree, if you are using it as a memory or study tool new technology has its place. But if you are playing solitare or Angry Birds then I believe that's disrespectful.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Electronic Gadgets at Church Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Joe wrote:
But if you are playing solitare or Angry Birds then I believe that's disrespectful.

Laughing I can imagine hearing the sound of the birds laughing after they have beat a level, during a middle of a sermon...

Electronic Gadgets at Church AngryBirds2

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm

I think its Ok; a guy I know uses his iPhone to read the Bible during church.

Electronic Gadgets at Church Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Carol wrote:
Joe wrote:
But if you are playing solitare or Angry Birds then I believe that's disrespectful.

Laughing I can imagine hearing the sound of the birds laughing after they have beat a level, during a middle of a sermon...

I must admit to being addicted to Angry Birds. What a silly time waster!!

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Joe wrote:

I think I am more. I have Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio! lol

He is my favorite bird lol

Electronic Gadgets at Church AngryBirds-blackbird02

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Electronic Gadgets at Church Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Joe wrote:
Carol wrote:
Joe wrote:

Electronic Gadgets at Church 135245 I can imagine hearing the sound of the birds laughing after they have beat a level, during a middle of a sermon...

Electronic Gadgets at Church 85958 Ohhhh, I'm imagining the expressions on the faces of the congregation. My brother is rather addicted to Angry Birds, too, and he runs the sound system at church. He wouldn't play the game during the service, of course....but if he did...his computer is hooked up to the speakers. Electronic Gadgets at Church 135245 ALL through the church, you'd hear "WHATTAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" or "OUCH!" The sound effects on that game are a hoot.

Carol, I didn't know that there were "sequels" to it! I'll have to let Aaron know.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Now that's funny!!
"Let us pray". Everyone bows their heads in silence then......
"YIPPEEEEE!!" blasts from the loudspeakers.

Last edited by Joe on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:08 pm

lol

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Savannah wrote:
Joe wrote:
Carol wrote:
Joe wrote:

Electronic Gadgets at Church 135245 I can imagine hearing the sound of the birds laughing after they have beat a level, during a middle of a sermon...

Electronic Gadgets at Church 85958 Ohhhh, I'm imagining the expressions on the faces of the congregation. My brother is rather addicted to Angry Birds, too, and he runs the sound system at church. He wouldn't play the game during the service, of course....but if he did...his computer is hooked up to the speakers. Electronic Gadgets at Church 135245 ALL through the church, you'd hear "WHATTAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" or "OUCH!" The sound effects on that game are a hoot.

Carol, I didn't know that there were "sequels" to it! I'll have to let Aaron know.

Joe wrote:
Now that's funny!!
"Let us pray". Everyone bows their heads in silence then......
"YIPPEEEEE!!" blasts from the loudspeakers.

ROTFL ROTFL That would be soooo funny!! laugh3

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Electronic Gadgets at Church 85958 I'll have to pass this thread on to my brother. Electronic Gadgets at Church 135245
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm

OH! And to answer you original question, Carol....I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't, myself, just because it's much more easy for me to read from a Bible than it is to read on a screen of any sort. (Plus, I love the feel of my worn leather Bible in my hands.) But if it can help someone to be able to follow along better, and keep better notes - great!
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Savannah wrote:
I wouldn't, myself, just because it's much more easy for me to read from a Bible than it is to read on a screen of any sort.

Same here. And what if the battery ran out halfway thru the service? scratchead

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I wouldn't just for the simply fact others might think I was doing something more than looking up a Bible verse. We have a problem with our youth group kids keeping theres put up so I just think we adults need to be the example. I told my boys I would break their cute little fingers if theirs phones were out during worship. ;)

Electronic Gadgets at Church Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Gin wrote:
I told my boys I would break their cute little fingers if theirs phones were out during worship. ;)

Ain't that a bit violent Gin? HeeHee

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Savannah wrote:
OH! And to answer you original question, Carol....I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't, myself, just because it's much more easy for me to read from a Bible than it is to read on a screen of any sort. (Plus, I love the feel of my worn leather Bible in my hands.) But if it can help someone to be able to follow along better, and keep better notes - great!

I have the bible on my iPod Touch and it goes with me to church and everywhere else I go but I read the bible from the bible. I love being able to read it on the ipod tho when a bible is not available.

I would LOVE to have the new iPad 2 but will have to same up some serious $$ before I'm able to. I wouldn't take it to church but I'd download the scriptures to it too.

Electronic Gadgets at Church MarilynKeeper Electronic Gadgets at Church Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Gin wrote:
I wouldn't just for the simply fact others might think I was doing something more than looking up a Bible verse. We have a problem with our youth group kids keeping theres put up so I just think we adults need to be the example. I told my boys I would break their cute little fingers if theirs phones were out during worship. ;)

Yeah, that's where I'm at with this too. Electronic Gadgets at Church 185146

This thread reminds me of two summers ago when we were on vacation.....we went to a parish up north, and I think I about passed out when I saw this kid (maybe 8 years old) playing a Gameboy! I know that's not what this thread is about, but I couldn't help but think of it when I read this title. I think I looked at the parents like they were from another planet. Talk about disrespectful! I mean, my kids were little once too but they were expected to sit and listen or participate, especially by the age that this little boy was. Our society today is really screwed up---so many parents just take the easy way out.
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Electronic Gadgets at Church Party010

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 am

Believe it or not, I couldn't agree with it. You hold a Bible in your hand, when the preacher says turn to so and so, you know it's being done.

I know I'm about as ornery a member as we got, but I got an old leather-bound Bible that some friends at the church I went to at the time gave me as a present cuz I didn't have my own. I preached out of that Bible. I read from it. It taught me what I needed to know, whether I follow it all now or not.

I still got that Bible, or what's left of it. In the front, the ppl who gave it to me wrote "God bless you Larry, and all you do. May God always watch over you."

I preached a revival out of that old thing, and the names of each person who came to the altar is in it.

If it'd been electronic, it'd be outdated now.

Now, I ain't judging those that disagree. It's a new world we live in. I'm just a good ol' boy from the hills of Tennessee.

But these ol' boys and girls had a Gideon on 'em;
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:29 am

Amy wrote:
Gin wrote:

Yeah, that's where I'm at with this too. Electronic Gadgets at Church 185146

This thread reminds me of two summers ago when we were on vacation.....we went to a parish up north, and I think I about passed out when I saw this kid (maybe 8 years old) playing a Gameboy! I know that's not what this thread is about, but I couldn't help but think of it when I read this title. I think I looked at the parents like they were from another planet. Talk about disrespectful! I mean, my kids were little once too but they were expected to sit and listen or participate, especially by the age that this little boy was. Our society today is really screwed up---so many parents just take the easy way out.

At church i noticed kids with gameboys too..but the parents usually tell them to put it away.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electronic Gadgets at Church   Electronic Gadgets at Church Empty

Back to top Go down

Electronic Gadgets at Church
Page 1 of 1