Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21161
Mood : LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Purple2

LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Empty
PostSubject: LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas   LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 pm

This was posted at Prairie Talk and since we have some Texans here, I thought I would post it here, in case you are not a member over there.........grinsmiley

Pickwicks bring Little House on the Prairie to Midland stage Georgia Temple
Arts & Entertainment Editor
Midland Reporter-Telegram

Journey back in time with the Pickwick Players to Flutterbudget's "Little House on the Prairie," opening Friday in Davis Theatre I at Cole Theatre, 2000 W. Wadley Ave.

"It's a story about the inner workings of a family as they grow and develop together," said Hudson Rhotenberry, who is playing the Ingalls' neighbor, Mr. Edwards. "You don't have to have a bunch of big plot twists. It's just about this family, and that's complicated and interesting enough."

Clay Fritz, who is double-cast as Mr. Edwards with Rhotenberry, described "Little House on the Prairie" as "the type of drama that's not really good characters and bad characters. There are not clear protagonists and antagonists. In a lot of ways the characters are all dynamic, and they all change for the better because of the family's move."

There is one character others would not call kind or considerate. In fact, Harriet Oleson comes closer to being called mean-spirited.

"I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit," Kierra Powell said of playing Harriet Oleson. "It's a little different from my normal, everyday behavior. I actually get to go toe-to-toe with one of my best friends, Kaitlin Miller, and that's exciting."

Mark Gabaldon plays the unfortunate Nils Oleson. "I'm a very kind and generous, caring person unlike my wife Harriet, who is just mean. She doesn't like that I am generous with our customers. She doesn't like giving store credit to anybody. I'm basically the opposite of my wife and my children. She raised them in her likeness."

The "Little House" series is based on Laura Ingalls Wilder's memories of her childhood in the Midwest region of the United States in the late 19th century. "Little House on the Prairie" has remained continuously in print since the book's first publication in 1935.

"It's probably one of my favorite book series," said Christina Gould, who plays Laura Ingalls. "It has a great story line. It can be enjoyed by all ages."

Born Feb. 7, 1867, in Pepin Country, Wis., Laura Elizabeth Ingalls, a.k.a. Flutterbudget and Half-Pint, viewed her life on the prairie as an adventure. By the time she was 13, her family had moved from Wisconsin to Kansas to Minnesota and to the Dakota Territory in search of land they could call their own. A pioneering family, they had faced severe droughts, bone-chilling winters, crop failures and grasshopper invasions.

"This play really shows how hard it was out there on the prairie by yourself miles away from the nearest neighbor," said Liz Livingston, who plays Laura's older sister, Mary. "Mary is studious. Her favorite thing to do is to study poetry. She loves her little sister, but sometimes she gets impatient with her.

"Laura is more of a dreamer. She day dreams, and she doesn't always like to do her homework. Mary's more down to the facts. She learns by reading, and Laura learns by experiencing."

The G-rated drama, presented by Midland Community Theatre's youth performing troupe, is on-stage March 30 through April 7. Curtain is at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets for non-season members are $18 for adults, $10 for children ages 3-18 and $5 for seniors. For reservations, call MCT's box office, 570-4111.

"I really like the play because I think it has a good mixture of internal and external conflicts," said Kaitlin Miller, who plays the mother, Caroline Ingalls. "All of the characters are dealing with things inside themselves about the move and the new life they have at the same time they are having to deal with each other."

Also in the cast are Evan Sauer as Laura's father Charles Ingalls, Amanda Moss and Allison Phillips as Molly, Meg Jones as Nellie Oleson, Landry Edwards as Willie Oleson, Michael Hagemann as Mr. Scott and Soldat du Chene, Diana Foster as Mrs. Scott, Jonathan Ramirez as Mr. Corse, Waylon Warren as Grandpa and Skinny Bob, Catie Tilley as Grandma and Townswoman 1, Will White as Hiram and Leland, Koby Marsh as Jacob, Sam Glinsmann as Teddy Bleu, Alex Prather as Sadie and Townswoman 2, Rachel Glinsmann as Maud and Mariah Rogers as Christy.

"Little House on the Prairie" spanned a loose adaptation, the television series of the same name that aired on NBC from 1974-1983. Melissa Gilbert played Laura, Melissa Sue Anderson played Mary, the twins Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush (credited as Lindsay Sidney Greenbush) played Carrie Ingalls. Michael Landon played the father Charles Ingalls and Karen Grassle played the mother Caroline Ingalls. The show is still in syndication.

Two television movies, "Beyond the Prairie," aired in 2000 and 2002. In 2005, ABC aired a five-hour, six-episode ministries that attempted to follow two of her books, "Little House on the Prairie" and "Little House in the Big Woods" and starred Kyle Chavarria as Laura, Danielle Chuchran as Mary, Gregory Sporleder as Mr. Edwards, Cameron Bancroft as the father and Erin Cottrell as the mother.

The Pickwick Players' production was written by Bill Williams, director of the youth performing troupe.

"It's a wonderful adaptation of the show on Bill's part," said Sauer. "It's one of those heart-warming stories. Every family faces their ups and downs. Things come at you in life, but it's the family that really matters and the friends that you surround yourself with."

LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Rhonda10LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas   LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas EmptyThu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 pm

Cool! I wish it would come around here!

LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas ChristinaKeeper2 LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Happy010

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas   LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas EmptyFri Mar 30, 2007 11:03 pm

How neat is that!! Sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
LHDaisy
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHDaisy

Number of posts : 277

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas   LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas EmptyFri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 pm

That sure is neat! Cheer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas   LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas Empty

Back to top Go down

LHOTP Visits Midland, Texas
Page 1 of 1