HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

"TO LIVE WITH FEAR"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8656
Mood :

PostSubject: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 am

“TO LIVE WITH FEAR”

While Caroline stays with Mary, Charles sets out with Mr. Edwards to find work and send money back to the hospital. They eventually accept a mining job that involves building a tunnel for a railroad. Sick with fear over his daughter's illness, Charles disregards his own safety and faces serious danger.

Hello folks!!!! Yes... it's been QUITE A WHILE... since I've done Episode Reviews... but here I am again grinsmiley
'To Live With Fear' is one of my favorite episodes from Season 3. I have watched it several times. I love how the community came together for the Ingalls here when the church made a special donation for Mary and Mr. Edwards showed what a great friend he was. Poor Caroline & Charles... what a hard time to go through seeing their Mary sick and struggling to pay for the operation. You also see Mary have a meltdown and I loved the way Caroline handled it, staying firm with her and telling her to buck up! That was some tough love. Love the group hug ending.

Great episode! 5 stars! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Last edited by Carol on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37837
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

This is a good esp.Very emotional and touching. It was nice how the town came together.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buttercup
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 3349
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 am

Such emotional episode. Bravo of Charles & Caroline be braving, when their oldest daughter, Mary is very sick. Applause

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37837
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 pm

the USa needs a better health care plans so people can pay for things.Glad in the end things got better/& mary got better/

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 227
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 pm

This was a good episode....One of my favorites

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Number of posts : 1234
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 pm

I can't even imagine how scared Mary or her parents were. Caroline shouldn't have yelled at Mary when Mary felt she wasn't getting any better and asked her to tell Pa she loved him if she's not there when he gets back. Mary was sick and freightened and didn't need to get yelled at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5178
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
the USa needs a better health care plans so people can pay for things.Glad in the end things got better/& mary got better/

Yes...And min my country is just the same. Blue

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1014

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:53 pm

It was frightening, private hospitals cost dear and I don't know if they had good public ones then.
I thought Charles was a little out of character when he was exploding dynamite during the funeral but he must have felt desperate. He was willing to sell everything and not have a place to live to help Mary, everything was just centered on that.

I thought it was realistic to show how they had to go in again to operate and how sick Mary was,it was strange after working in a hospital to see the lack of gloves and other sterile instruments but that was the way it was then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Spanky wrote:
I can't even imagine how scared Mary or her parents were. Caroline shouldn't have yelled at Mary when Mary felt she wasn't getting any better and asked her to tell Pa she loved him if she's not there when he gets back. Mary was sick and frightened and didn't need to get yelled at.

It did seem harsh, but she didn't want Mary giving up because she felt awful and as a Mom it's scary to think you are losing your child. Sometimes the mind does help the body heal....most Ingall's are pretty spunky though. ; )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 pm

I just got done watching part 1. I will be watching part 2 in a little bit. The church members pulling together to donate money for Mary's operation brought tears to my eyes. bawling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:14 pm

I watched part 1 this afternoon. I cried when Charles arrived at church and Rev. Alden told him the church had collected money for Mary and when Laura was talking to mary at the Edwards place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 398
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:07 pm

A very good episode showing the town pulling together (and Mr. Edwards) to help Charles pay for Mary's treatment. That tunnel work sure was dangerous.

It's strange, but I always felt that Charles didn't love Mary as much (or perhaps just a little less) than Laura and later Albert. I'm probably wrong and it's down to Mary being the elder child and growing up quite quickly and moving on as the series progressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
easyt72000
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 127
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:40 am

I ALWAYS felt that Charles favored Laura. Maybe because she was more of a tomboy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 pm

I think it was just that Laura was a tomboy, she would go fishing with him, want to do things that Mary might not like. Mary did more things with her Mother, but loving them, I think was equal and Albert was loved by both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "TO LIVE WITH FEAR"    Today at 1:11 pm

Back to top Go down

"TO LIVE WITH FEAR"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1