Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Times of Change"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptyWed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Some things I wish they had addressed in this episode -
How did the Edwardses end up in California? Most likely they never made it back from Gold Country. Somewhere along the way maybe they changed their minds and decided to go to California instead - perhaps Mr. Edwards was still worried things wouldn't be so good in Walnut Grove, or that there was too much civilization around there (this was implied in "The Return of Mr. Edwards").
Also, I wish we'd gotten to hear what John said to Mary after talking to Charles. He probably would've had to admit he'd been seeing someone else, but I don't think that was the real issue - in fact I don't even think he like that girl very well. My impression is that he and that girl didn't last very long after that evening. I'd still liked to have heard how he phrased it though - I don't think people used the expression "seeing someone else" back then. I'd also like to know how long he'd been seeing that other girl and what possessed him to start seeing her in the first place. I got the feeling that maybe John's friend pressured him into it. It still seemed out of character for him to cheat on Mary, but I guess he was human and he'd probably been feeling guilty about it.
I think the main issue was just that long-distance relationships usually don't last.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 3:40 pm

First of all, welcome! Wave You're right, the episode was a little inconsistent. In real life, Victor French, who played Mr. Edwards, was working on a different series of his own, so saying "the Edwards went to California" was probably Michael Landon's way of writing their characters off the show. I'd be interested to hear what John said to Mary too - breaking up with someone, especially an engagement, b/c you were "seeing someone else" didn't seem too common back then.

"Times of Change" ChristinaKeeper2 "Times of Change" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : "Times of Change" Headac10

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:30 pm

I'am glad the Edwards joined the last season.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 8:57 am

Victor French did have other things to do, and for a while, they were not speaking, so that seemed like an easy thing to say, they could always bring him back.

I know the actor who played John, was disappointed that they wrote him off later and this seemed like the beginning of that. If he wasn't going to have a relationship with Mary, there wouldn't be any use for him. I know some were saddened by how they made him a louse, but it wasn't that unbelievable. He was there for a while, and became what was around him. He never would have wanted to move back to Walnut Grove and I couldn't picture Mary in that lifestyle. His lying was bad, leading her on, but he's not the first male or female to have trouble saying "It's over", although John had a way with words. He just kept putting it off. I felt sorry for her seeming so out of place and the shirt she made John seeming so out of place also.

I know it fits the plot, but they always made "city" people overall bad, the girls were not as proper, too fancy and the men, rude and not very Christian. I'm sure they had big differences in the atmosphere, but I'm sure nice couples and young men and women existed.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : "Times of Change" Bokmal10

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I know it fits the plot, but they always made "city" people overall bad, the girls were not as proper, too fancy and the men, rude and not very Christian. I'm sure they had big differences in the atmosphere, but I'm sure nice couples and young men and women existed.

This is something that always bugged me too. I know that corruption existed back then, just like it does now, but everyone from the city is a devious scoundrel.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:47 pm

And towns like Walnut Grove depended on them for some of their income and things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Times of Change" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Times of Change"   "Times of Change" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Times of Change"
Page 1 of 1