Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?

Go down 
+3
bethandmanly
Rhonda
Carol
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Happy010

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Empty
PostSubject: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Childrens-book-fair_335-wide

How many of you here like reading Young Adult and Children's books? Specially if you are already an adult.

I have to say that I enjoy reading these books. I have read many adult books but my favorite remain the young adult/children's books. I love short stories and specially books with illustrations.

I specially enjoy reading a kid book after I have read a long adult book. I'll always love kid books, I guess because I enjoyed books so much as a kid. I wish I was like Gumby who just zoomed inside a book and became part of the story, the world in the book lol

I went to the library last Saturday and checked out this book called "Mandy" written by Julie Andrews. I haven't started it yet... but it looks really interesting!

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? 9780064402965

Sooo.... how many of you like these type of books?

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Horses10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Also... what were/are some of your favorites???

So far I can list...

A Light in the Attic
A Wrinkle in Time
Anne of Green Gables series
Berenstain Bears
Charlotte's Web
Curious George Books
Disney Read-a-long Books
Pippi Longstocking
Sesame Street Books
Sweet Valley Kids/Twins/High series
Wind and the Willows

and many others I have read over the years ....

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Not only do I enjoy reading them, I have a lot of children's books....I started out being a preschool teacher before I married and had my own kids, and reading stories to them was the best part of the day.....I even did flannel board stories....all the kids and later on, my own kids loved for me to read, because each character in the story had his/her own voice and personality......I even read stories and put them on cassette tapes for my boys to listen to at night....reading just one bedtime story wasn't enough for them, so after one, I'd pop in the tape and they could fall asleep listeing to 'mom' read to them..... Aww, I miss my boys being little and carrying an armload of books to me to read....... No

I love:
Dr. Suess
Sesame Street
Berenstain Bears
Corduroy the Bear
Amelia Bedelia
Wind and the Willows
Where the Wild Things Are and basicaly ANYTHING written by Maurice Sendak (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this author!!!)
Thumbsup

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Rhonda10Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 am

I just wrote a blog post about this topic recently because I read a lot of kid's books and many YA ones too.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:41 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I just wrote a blog post about this topic recently because I read a lot of kid's books and many YA ones too.

Cool! Thumbsup Where is the link to it?

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:15 am

I most definitely still read ya/children's books!

Some of my favorite authors were (and still are!) L. M. Montgomery, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Brian Jacques, Marguerite Henry, Jerry West (Happy Hollisters), Gertrude Chandler Warner (Boxcar Children, though she only wrote the first nineteen, which were definitely the best), and Terri Farley.

The Dear America series was a favorite... I also enjoyed Lauraine Snelling's The Golden Filly series and High Hurdles series.

For younger children's books I've always loved The Berenstein Bears, Little Critter, Magic School Bus, and Sweet Pickles.

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 am

Lucy Maud Montgomery and Laura Ingalls Wilder are two of my favorites as well. My daughter loves The Boxcar Children.

Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 4:16 pm

I always loved V.C. Andrews books. I have quite a vast collection of them. Smile

http://completevca.com/
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 am

I read the Flowers in the Attic series, but nothing other than that. I don't know why I stopped because I really enjoyed the ones I read.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

well,Lucy Maud Montgomery books i don't consider really childrens books.She didn't really wright them for kids. I think they are wounderful for any age.

I liked the full house books,sweet valley high/twins books. The baby sistter club books,

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 am

I wish I had seen this post back when it was first published!!

I'm an adult now, but a lot of the books I read are Young Adult books, and some children's books. I read a lot of young adult because the type of books I want to publish someday will be YA, and I guess I like to read the genre that I write in. Some of my favorite Young Adult books are Winger, The Outsiders, and Shine.

I also still like to go back and read some of the books for younger readers that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I've been a horse lover for most of my life, and one of my favorite series is The Saddle Club, about three pre-teen girls who love horses, and spend most of their time at the stables. I've read most of the books in the series, some more than once, and I still like to pick one up every once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?   Any adults reading YA/Children's Books? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any adults reading YA/Children's Books?
Page 1 of 1