HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

LHOTP Reunion in Florida

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 19930
Mood :

PostSubject: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am

I received this email this morning, and I *think* it is for the month of October, that is the first month I see that has a Saturday on the 29th....I have an email to Ruthanne about that.....Anyway, for those of you who might be close to New Hope, Florida, perhaps you can make some plans........Under Ruthanne's email, I copy and pasted some info about Laura and Almanzo's time in Florida. Thumbsup

LHOTP 6th reunion and picnic will be held New Hope, Florida Saturday 29 2011. Hoping to see you there
Ruthanne

Westville, Florida

Past:
In 1891, Laura and Almanzo Wilder left Almanzo's parents' home in Spring Valley, Minnesota, and settled in the tiny community of New Hope, Florida, near Westville. Laura's cousin, Peter Franklin Ingalls, was already living here with his wife Mary ("Molly"). Laura could not tolerate the humid weather, however, and she and Almanzo returned to De Smet, South Dakota less than a year later. Laura's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, who was about five years old when the family lived in New Hope, wrote a short story entitled "Innocence" based on the family's stay here.

Present:
A historical marker has been placed on the Peter Ingalls property, commemorating Laura's and Almanzo's stay here. The Mt. Ida Methodist and Congregational Church which Almanzo and Laura attended while living here, as did the Peter Ingalls family, still stands. The graves of Peter, his wife, and one son, Alex, can be found behind the church.

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5918
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Weren't the Ingalls there with Peter and family when Freddie died? Do we know where Freddie is buried?

Thanks for sharing....I'm probably the closest to Florida but its still several hours from me. One of these days maybe.

It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7212
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Gin wrote:
Weren't the Ingalls there with Peter and family when Freddie died? Do we know where Freddie is buried?

Baby Freddie was buried on Peter and Eiza Ingalls's property in South Troy, MN. After crop failures in Walnut Grove, Charles and Caroline sold their home on Plum Creek and traveled to Iowa. Along the way they visited with Peter and Eliza.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5918
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Okay...thanks Cheryl. I knew someone would know.

It is the lack of Christianity that has brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts. LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5178
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

"...
A historical marker has been placed on the Peter Ingalls property, commemorating Laura's and Almanzo's stay here. The Mt. Ida Methodist and Congregational Church which Almanzo and Laura attended while living here, as did the Peter Ingalls family, still stands. The graves of Peter, his wife, and one son, Alex, can be found behind the church...."

Laura didn't have too good memories of Florida. The heat made her almost to faint; she rarely feel like working when living in Westville and it seems that women of her neighborhood thought she was a "haughty yankee". I don't know if it was true, but there was a certain Wilder's adaptation trouble to Florida lifestyle. Rose wrote one of her best fiction remembering her life there:"Innocence". It's a great work. Almost a thriller!

If you want to have an excellent account of Wilder's life in Westville, Florida, read "Laura INgalls Wilder; the Westville Florida Years", by Alene Warnock (1979). It's full of info and great photos.

Vanesa. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6

Number of posts : 2527
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Is this a LHOP cast reunion or an Ingalls family reunion?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't have a clue...probably an Ingalls' reunion....haven't heard back from Ruthanne.... scratchead

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:36 am

Vanesa wrote:
"If you want to have an excellent account of Wilder's life in Westville, Florida, read "Laura INgalls Wilder; the Westville Florida Years", by Alene Warnock (1979). It's full of info and great photos.

I don't think I knew about this book. Thanks Vanesa.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:59 am

Ruthanne answered my email about the month for this...it is October......not sure of anything else, but probably an Ingalls' reunion.....haven't heard anything about a cast reunion happening.... scratchead

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

Rhonda wrote:
Ruthanne answered my email about the month for this...it is October......not sure of anything else, but probably an Ingalls' reunion.....haven't heard anything about a cast reunion happening.... scratchead

During Lennon's interview with Susan McCray on Tuesday he said there were no reunions that he knew of. The cruise this November was cancelled due to lack of participation--not surprising considering the cost--and Susan hadn't heard about any cast reunions either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHOTP Reunion in Florida   Today at 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down

LHOTP Reunion in Florida
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1