HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

annabelle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37829
Mood :

PostSubject: annabelle   Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 am

The circus comes to town.The town people help set it up.Nel olsen doesn't wish to participate in it.Nels discovers his long lots sister is taking part in the circus.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 pm

I'am glad at the end nels tells everybody about her being his sister. Smile That too me seemed out of character for nels.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harrietfan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 am

I love this one as well! It's always good to get the backround on the Characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 am

Harrietfan wrote:
I love this one as well! It's always good to get the backround on the Characters.

Yes,sure is Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 227
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I just saw this.....it was sad.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1013

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm watching it now...Harriet could be so rude. What I don't understand, and again, this might be because it's a show and not real life, how did they not know much about each other? Wouldn't Harriet know her husband had a sister? But then again, without photos, etc. maybe not. Just seemed so" not like Nels"..I didn't think he was so ashamed of her weight but that she was in the circus. I think for some, that makes it a side-show and more embarassing. I liked the ending though.

They addressed weight a few times on the show, with Annabelle, the father in Winoka (The Man Inside) episode, the one where Harriet was trying to lose weight and then her relative was heavier than she was when she arrived There was also the "Elmer" episode with Nancy being awful.

Did Laura deliberatly not sew Amonzo's date Christy's dress well? It seemed she just basted it. That was not nice since she was going to take money for it if she hadn't told her she was only going to give her half. After the chicken episode it seemed to make her seem more like a child in her thoughts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7227
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
I'm watching it now...Harriet could be so rude. What I don't understand, and again, this might be because it's a show and not real life, how did they not know much about each other? Wouldn't Harriet know her husband had a sister? But then again, without photos, etc. maybe not. Just seemed so" not like Nels"..I didn't think he was so ashamed of her weight but that she was in the circus. I think for some, that makes it a side-show and more embarassing. I liked the ending though.

I think it was much easier to hide back then. If Nels didn’t talk about her at all, the only way Harriet would have known is if his mother told her—which is possible, but since in Season 9 we find out that Nels's mother was opposed to the marriage, she might not have spoken much to Harriet. The way this episode seemed to me was that Nels was always ashamed of her weight. I think Annabelle says something to Nels about how he would get up early just so he wouldn’t have to walk to school with her.

littlehouselover wrote:
Did Laura deliberatly not sew Amonzo's date Christy's dress well? It seemed she just basted it. That was not nice since she was going to take money for it if she hadn't told her she was only going to give her half. After the chicken episode it seemed to make her seem more like a child in her thoughts.

Yep, she didn’t sew it. That naughty, feisty girl. I thought that was so immature of her, but Christie had it coming. She was almost worse than Nellie in the way she treated Laura.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:53 am

I agree, hated those types, still do, although they never seem very happy (hard being mean all the time) : )
But when you say you will do a job for someone and for pay, you should do it well either way. She was jealous Almonzo asked her but this was the same as the chicken incident. She says she's sorry all the time but repeats the same behavior. She was going to take the money until mean Christy said only half because she was 5 minutes late. I can't see her mother condoning that behavior. (even if it was funny)
Nellie did get her back with the teachers exam although the writers gave Laura a bit of a mental block in trusting her over the teacher..but not totally unbelievable. I didn't think Nellie was right but after what Laura did (and Almonzo never would have dated Nellie) it was tit for tat, something Nellie would do. For someone that kept saying she was a grown woman, they didn't give her many mature moments, she kept the jealousy even after marriage.
I remember they showed Caroline looking at her sewing when she went to apologize to Albert, but I don't know if that was for a reason, she didn't say anything.
You're correct about Annabelle, I remember that now, he was ashamed and I felt you could read his emotions so well..I liked this show, circus parts weren't edited well, but it was different and fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 am

I agree,Laura really acted immature.I think she was trying so hard to prove she was mature and grown up.When Almonzo joined in.Laura started changing and that's when she didn't want to be child anymore/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LHOTP-boy
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 9
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:03 pm

This episode was really sad ... poor Annabelle. But an happy ending! :D

[wow]test[/wow]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:26 am

In an interview Richard Bull (Nell's) said although the fans loved this episode, he also thought it wasn't like Nels, just didn't seem to be his personality, but at the end, he is redeemed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7227
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm

I agree with that. Nels was always so compassionate. But we sometimes treat our siblings differently than we do everyone else.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm

That is true, many wives and husbands also hear how "wonderful" their spouses are and they aren't always as nice as home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Dan Tucker
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I just discovered that Christie (Almonzo's date) was played by Wendy Schaal - voice of Francine Smith in American Dad.

I love from epi to epi how the value of money changes. A few epis before this one, Laura and Albert make $50+ selling honey/hive to Mrs. Oleson. In this epi they make a nickel and a ticket to the circus for working as slave labor for two or three days.

Another episode where Laura is mean and vindictive. Totally unlikeable.

The latex party balloons at the circus where a little out of place. While balloons of some sort were available around this time, this type probably was not. I only bring it up since I believe there was a reference in one of the books to playing with an inflated animal bladder. If you could get balloons why play with an inflated animal bladder?

Old Daniel Tucker wuz a mighty man,
He washed his face in a fryin' pan;
Combed his head wid a wagon wheel
And he died wid de toofache in his heel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 19953
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Pa Ingalls could not afford latex balloons for his girls, that is why they played with the bladder of a pig, while Ma made cheese and Pa was curing the meat.....Laura played with corncob dolls as well.... scratchead 

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Dan Tucker
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I may go to my butcher and ask for a pig's bladder. They sound like they're great fun to play with!

Can you imagine a kid in today's world playing with pig parts instead of store-bought toys? laugh3

Old Daniel Tucker wuz a mighty man,
He washed his face in a fryin' pan;
Combed his head wid a wagon wheel
And he died wid de toofache in his heel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 am

There still is a love of "old fashioned" toys, although they charge a lot now for them. I think if kids played with yo-yos, lincoln logs, lots of hands-on toys we played with and LESS computer games, they would fare better. Using your hands to make things, works more than your thumbs. ; )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: annabelle   Today at 1:44 am

Back to top Go down

annabelle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1