Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Preacher takes a wife.

Go down 
+5
bethandmanly
Kristina
littlehouselover
Harrietfan
Krissy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Preacher takes a wife. Headac10

Preacher takes a wife. Empty
PostSubject: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 am

Mrs craig reverend alden fall in love.They wish to marry.Mrs olsen tries to stop the wedding.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Sometimes mrs olsen makes me soo Ranting mad banghead .Glad they got married in the end & mrs olsen changed. Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Harrietfan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Harrietfan

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 am

I love the Harriet story in this one! You really feel her pain in this one. Katherine did a wonderful job in this one.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am

Harrietfan wrote:
I love the Harriet story in this one! You really feel her pain in this one. Katherine did a wonderful job in this one.

You get to see 2 sides too her

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I liked how you got to see 2 sides of her also...she is such a good actress. The pain she felt and harbored a bit inside seemed very real.
I wish they showed the preachers wife more often after they married, so much trouble and then she wasn't shown even at church (unless I missed it)

I think when they expand a character to show their past, etc. it helps you understand them better. When Harriet tells Nellie in one episode how the store helped her get a husband, you see a vulnerability in her. You might forget it when she is shooting barbs at Nels or Caroline, but it's there.
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : Preacher takes a wife. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 am

was Reverend Alden's wife seen again after this episode? I don't remember seeing her again after they were married, but of course I could have missed it. But if I did, I know I'd like to see the later episodes with her
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm

She wasn't seen again, that I remember, but she was mentioned in the episode where the women of Walnut Grove moved into Nellie's Hotel to convince the men to sign the state petition to get women the right to vote.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Preacher takes a wife. Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 pm

The actress passed away 2 weeks after the episode thats why she was never in another episode

Preacher takes a wife. Jacobk10Preacher takes a wife. Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Episode aired in 1979......................Passed away 3 years after airing..............

Iris Korn played Anna Craig

Born: January 6, 1907 in Arkansas, USA

Died: January 27, 1982 (age 75) in Springfield, Missouri, USA

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 pm

There has always been that rumor, though, that she wasn't featured because she had died soon afterwards. Reminds me of that rumor about Katherine MacGregor having cancer, which prevented her from participating in the show's finale.

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

She made two appearances in the three years after Little House. Never know, could have been ill...

1982 Jimmy the Kid
Farmer's Wife

1981 Taxi (TV Series)
Edith Tremayne
- Louie Bumps into an Old Lady (1981) ... Edith Tremayne

1979 Little House on the Prairie (TV Series)
Anna Craig
- The Preacher Takes a Wife (1979) ... Anna Craig

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : Preacher takes a wife. Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 5:29 pm

I am currently watching The Christmas Present on The Patty Duke Show (1963).  As many of you know, William Schallert played Patty's father.  In this episode, 'Martin' is remembering someone he went to school with, 'Harriet Oleson'.  This made me chuckle since William Schallert played Dean Russell Harmon in The Preacher Takes a Wife (1979).  If you remember, he was Harriet Oleson's fiance and chose his religion over marrying her. If you notice the years these episodes were shown in and then how far apart that these shows were done, isn't it cool how they tied in and it was all by accident?
scratchead HeeHee

Preacher takes a wife. Rhonda10Preacher takes a wife. Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 8:53 pm

That's neat.

Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 529

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 10:20 pm

I watched this episode (recorded from COZI TV) this evening. I am not even completely sure I've ever watched it all the way through before. I remembered the stuff with Harriet and the other preacher, but I don't remember the way that Anna confessed her love for Rev. Alden earlier in the episode. That seemed a bit over the top, but his reaction was funny.

In any case, I think this was a pretty nice episode and gave Dabbs Greer a chance to shine. (But I thought it was corny that Charles was going to perform the wedding! Is there anything that man cannot do?) In the end, it is not clear to me if the Rev. William Schallert (don't remember the character's last name, although his first name was Russell) performed the wedding ceremony or if Charles did. I would assume that Russell performed it, since he was there in town.

I also liked that we saw a side of Harriet which gave some explanation for her nasty behavior. If they had not had that as a part of the plot, her being so upset about Rev. Alden getting married would just have seemed odd to me, even for Harriet Oleson. It's not like Rev. Alden is a Catholic priest, after all, and I assume that ministers fairly routinely got married back then, as today. But throwing in the little plot twist about Harriet's past was really a good way to go, in my opinion. I like that she told Russell that she is proud of her family, and in that case, I don't think it was necessarily a haughty arrogance but demonstrating that she realized she did come out ahead after all. What a difference her life might have been, though, if she had been a minister's wife! I don't think that she was cut out for that.

What I don't like about the episode, though, is that it seems as if it is all forgotten in the future. I think that Anna is mentioned in a later episode as having gone traveling somewhere. Then after that I don't know that she is ever mentioned again. If they didn't want to have her as a recurring character, they could have just had her die off. That could also have been a powerful episode for Dabbs Greer.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 10:24 pm

Rhonda wrote:
I am currently watching The Christmas Present on The Patty Duke Show (1963).  As many of you know, William Schallert played Patty's father.  In this episode, 'Martin' is remembering someone he went to school with, 'Harriet Oleson'.  This made me chuckle since William Schallert played Dean Russell Harmon in The Preacher Takes a Wife (1979).  If you remember, he was Harriet Oleson's fiance and chose his religion over marrying her. If you notice the years these episodes were shown in and then how far apart that these shows were done, isn't it cool how they tied in and it was all by accident?
scratchead HeeHee

I love THE PATTY DUKE SHOW but have not seen it for quite a long time....but I sure don't remember that about Harriet Oleson! Hilarious!
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptyFri Dec 17, 2021 6:13 pm

I also realized there was another issue about this episode I wanted to comment on.....didn't we learn in some other episode (one where Mr. Edwards was battling alcoholism maybe?) that Revd. Alden did have a family at some time but that he (Revd. Alden) battled alcohol and somehow lost his family because of that? Yet in this episode he told Anna that nobody ever told him they loved him before except his parents.

Perhaps I just have things mixed up, but I felt like somewhere along the way we did learn that Revd. Alden had a family at some time in the past. Does anyone else remember this?
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 4:53 pm

amyk wrote:
I also realized there was another issue about this episode I wanted to comment on.....didn't we learn in some other episode (one where Mr. Edwards was battling alcoholism maybe?) that Revd. Alden did have a family at some time but that he (Revd. Alden) battled alcohol and somehow lost his family because of that? Yet in this episode he told Anna that nobody ever told him they loved him before except his parents.

Perhaps I just have things mixed up, but I felt like somewhere along the way we did learn that Revd. Alden had a family at some time in the past. Does anyone else remember this?

I think you may be mixing up parts of Isaiah's and Reverend Alden's lives. In Season 1, when Charles brings Isaiah Edwards back with him to Walnut Grove, Isaiah gets upset when he discovers Laura in bed with a fever. Afterwards, he explains to Charles that he was married once and had a young daughter. He brought smallpox back with him, and Isaiah blames himself for having a homestead so far away from help, which is what he says killed his wife and daughter.

You are correct that at some point Reverend Alden admits to Isaiah (if I recall correctly) that he battled alcoholism.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 5:04 pm

amyk wrote:

In any case, I think this was a pretty nice episode and gave Dabbs Greer a chance to shine. (But I thought it was corny that Charles was going to perform the wedding! Is there anything that man cannot do?) In the end, it is not clear to me if the Rev. William Schallert (don't remember the character's last name, although his first name was Russell) performed the wedding ceremony or if Charles did. I would assume that Russell performed it, since he was there in town.

Do you remember the episode titled "Blizzard" when Miss Beadle let the kids out early from school on Christmas Eve and a blizzard blew through Walnut Grove? Reverend Alden was away that Christmas, so he asked Charles to preach. Maybe that's what they did instead of expecting another minister to travel to marry people.

amyk wrote:
I also liked that we saw a side of Harriet which gave some explanation for her nasty behavior. If they had not had that as a part of the plot, her being so upset about Rev. Alden getting married would just have seemed odd to me, even for Harriet Oleson. It's not like Rev. Alden is a Catholic priest, after all, and I assume that ministers fairly routinely got married back then, as today. But throwing in the little plot twist about Harriet's past was really a good way to go, in my opinion. I like that she told Russell that she is proud of her family, and in that case, I don't think it was necessarily a haughty arrogance but demonstrating that she realized she did come out ahead after all. What a difference her life might have been, though, if she had been a minister's wife! I don't think that she was cut out for that.

I like this episode for this very reason as well. It is good to see some of her past, and Nels' as well, since he reminds her that his mother thought marrying Harriet was a mistake.

amyk wrote:
What I don't like about the episode, though, is that it seems as if it is all forgotten in the future. I think that Anna is mentioned in a later episode as having gone traveling somewhere. Then after that I don't know that she is ever mentioned again. If they didn't want to have her as a recurring character, they could have just had her die off. That could also have been a powerful episode for Dabbs Greer.

I wish we would have seen more of Anna as well.

Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
amyk wrote:

I think you may be mixing up parts of Isaiah's and Reverend Alden's lives. In Season 1, when Charles brings Isaiah Edwards back with him to Walnut Grove, Isaiah gets upset when he discovers Laura in bed with a fever. Afterwards, he explains to Charles that he was married once and had a young daughter. He brought smallpox back with him, and Isaiah blames himself for having a homestead so far away from help, which is what he says killed his wife and daughter.

You are correct that at some point Reverend Alden admits to Isaiah (if I recall correctly) that he battled alcoholism.

Yes, I remember about Isaiah having had the wife and daughter that died. There is a LITTLE HOUSE "wiki" that states that a disaster killed Revd. Alden's family, which led him to turn to alcoholism, so that is saying not that he lost his family because of alcoholism, but rather that he turned to alcohol after losing his family. That also states that it is in the episode A PROMISE TO KEEP that Revd. Alden shared this background with Isaiah. Here is the link to that website: https://littlehouse.fandom.com/wiki/Robert_Alden

I'm going to go check out the A PROMISE TO KEEP thread and see if anyone on this forum mentioned about Revd. Alden turning to alcoholism after losing his family.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm

My own comments from A PROMISE TO KEEP were: "My favorite part, though, is when Isaiah goes to the church and prays and then the heart-to-heart with Revd. Alden. And so neat that Revd. Alden actually had been an alcoholic himself. I wonder what he meant that he lost everything? Was he married before and had a family??"

So it seems that it was unclear to me when I watched that if Revd. Alden meant he had lost a family. I watch the show from COZI-TV though, and it cuts out parts, so part of that scene may have been cut. I wish someone who has the show on DVD would watch that scene and let us know if Revd. Alden did really turn to alcohol after losing a family or if that is more clear in the complete version of that episode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preacher takes a wife.   Preacher takes a wife. Empty

Back to top Go down

Preacher takes a wife.
Page 1 of 1