Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Day's of sunshine.part 1

Go down 
+6
Praire Girl
Vanesa
littlehouselover
Shell
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Krissy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Day's of sunshine.part 1 Headac10

Day's of sunshine.part 1 Empty
PostSubject: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Almanzo's marriage is put to test when he suffers a stroke.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am

I felt really bad for laura the poor thing working so hard.I dis-liked Eliza Jane in this one.She was a bit annoying.I know she was just trying to help and meant well. But she was kind of helping him in the wrong why. I hated how Almanzo just gave up all hope to live. It must of been hard to be a famer back that. I liked how laura tired to push him to do things for himself.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : Day's of sunshine.part 1 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

This was so sad..........I liked how Laura handled the situation.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Day's of sunshine.part 1 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

My heart went out to Laura. She and Almanzo worked hard and then he fell ill then had that stroke. He pushed Laura away and wouldn't let her try to help him. Eliza Jane didn't help matters by babying him. Laura wanted him to do things on his own so he would get better.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 pm

I can't imagine how hard this must have been back then..did Almonzo suffer long in real life? They made him so whiny in this episode, it made me want to yell at him, he barely did anything at all to help himself.

I thought it was funny how a hail storm started off the LHOP season with Charles losing his crop and then later it was Almonzo's.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Day's of sunshine.part 1 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 am

He was very sick, indeed. Laura and Almanzo suffered from diphteria, and Laura was O.K after a while, but Almanzo wanted to wake upo and go to work too early (as sho9wn at the TV show), and suffered a stroke that let him almost crippled. He got well and could keep woriking in the fields, but Rose could recall that when she was a girl, his father used to put ger feet inside hot water and salt, to ease the pain he felt after a long farm work day. Blue

Vanesa.

Day's of sunshine.part 1 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 am

i guess they did the best they could with the knowledge they had.
When did they build more of the house, was the next episode a "fast-forward" and they were in the new home until the boarding house was left to them? I didn't watch as many of the later ones years ago.

I also realized in this episode, none of the children except Albert said anything. Cassandra, Carrie, they all were silent. Albert said yes sir when asked to watch the house and yes to Eliza about being monitor at school if needed, but not a word it seemed from anyone but the main characters. Seemed odd especially seeing Rose for the first time.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Praire Girl wrote:
i guess they did the best they could with the knowledge they had.
When did they build more of the house, was the next episode a "fast-forward" and they were in the new home until the boarding house was left to them? I didn't watch as many of the later ones years ago.

The next episode is Mr. Edwards's return to WG and they are living in the new house Almanzo built, so we just have to assume it got built at some point.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
MandMBubblebath
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
MandMBubblebath

Number of posts : 37
Mood : Day's of sunshine.part 1 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello, in my opinion, this was a HUGE mistake. This was a good epie, very well directed and acted, but there is A LOT of historical inaccuracies. First of all, Laura was the first one to catch the diphtheria. HER attack was much worse than Manly's attack.  In fact, he got the diphtheria caring for her. How sweet..... anyways, Rose was born, in afct, she was almost two when diphtheria happened. Also, Manly was very mature when this happened. In real life. He wasn't a self pitying lump of a man. Most of all, if they wanted Rose to be born in this episode, then they should've done it in an another episode. Final decision, good acting, and Don Balluck, look at the script.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 4:31 pm

The show was only based upon the books--which are also fiction--not meant to be real life. Michael Landon was a good storyteller through the medium of television. Not all books can translate directly from the printed word to the big or small screen.

Over the years, I've had to put aside my attention to detail and realize LHOP is a show that continues to attract fans nearly 40 years after it first aired. People obviously relate to it, no matter how accurate it is.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 5:31 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
The show was only based upon the books--which are also fiction--not meant to be real life. Michael Landon was a good storyteller through the medium of television. Not all books can translate directly from the printed word to the big or small screen.

Over the years, I've had to put aside my attention to detail and realize LHOP is a show that continues to attract fans nearly 40 years after it first aired. People obviously relate to it, no matter how accurate it is.
That is true.

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 am

MandMBubblebath wrote:
Hello, in my opinion, this was a HUGE mistake. This was a good epie, very well directed and acted, but there is A LOT of historical inaccuracies. First of all, Laura was the first one to catch the diphtheria. HER attack was much worse than Manly's attack.  In fact, he got the diphtheria caring for her. How sweet..... anyways, Rose was born, in afct, she was almost two when diphtheria happened. Also, Manly was very mature when this happened. In real life. He wasn't a self pitying lump of a man. Most of all, if they wanted Rose to be born in this episode, then they should've done it in an another episode. Final decision, good acting, and Don Balluck, look at the script.
Chill out everybody. This show wasn't meant to be historical record and no one connected with it ever said it was was . It was meant to convey a message, and the writers did a great job in doing just that!! Everyone needs to read a couple of the books and then imagine yourself packing it in to a one hour screenplay. NOT an easy task.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 am

I have to agree and understand. It would be very hard to follow a movie to book cover. I think some things in books wouldn't be good in a T.V show how or movie. Then again I haven't the books. Expect a few pages from the first novel.

I don't mean to go off topic. They did change things in Road to Avonlea. They did however use some things from the novels for episodes. I've read all the books. Noticed few changes.

I did however liked this episode.Smile 

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 pm

RTA is another perfect example, Krissy. Books and television are very different mediums. And overall, I would rather the focus be on telling a good story for TV than sticking to the books or the history. Even Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, which did a good job of sticking to the history of the times, wandered away from it from time to time.

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
RTA is another perfect example, Krissy. Books and television are very different mediums. And overall, I would rather the focus be on telling a good story for TV than sticking to the books or the history. Even Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, which did a good job of sticking to the history of the times, wandered away from it from time to time.
Well said!

Back to top Go down
MandMBubblebath
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
MandMBubblebath

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 6:43 am

Sorry if I have made you mad, I just I am a big blabbermouth sometimes. I love the show and the books, it's just that... I don't know how to put it in words. Like I said, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 am

MandMBubblebath wrote:
Sorry if I have made you mad, I just I am a big blabbermouth sometimes. I love the show and the books, it's just that... I don't know how to put it in words. Like I said, sorry.
Absolutely not, you didn't make me mad. You keep expressing yourself in any way you want. That's what this forum is all about. We ALL have our opinions........
and you are entitled to yours!

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 8:03 pm

MandMBubblebath wrote:
You're fine. Nothing wrong in having an opinion.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Smile Yeah! I do understand more or less about not being able to follow the books. I got thinking RTA would have been boring with out adding aunt hetty.
Just like LHOTP be boring id The olsen family wasn't on it.

I guess if M.L Didn't make the show the why he did. It couldn't have lasted all 9 season.

Back to top Go down
MandMBubblebath
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
MandMBubblebath

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:15 am

You are right, the show would be boring without the Olesons.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 am

And then there's Adam......there were some great scenes with he and Mary........

Back to top Go down
MandMBubblebath
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
MandMBubblebath

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 am

I like Adam, but I like the Olesons better. They should've had their own spin-off!! That would be hilarious!! laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 4:09 pm

MandMBubblebath wrote:
I like Adam, but I like the Olesons better. They should've had their own spin-off!! That would be hilarious!! laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 laugh3 
true.

Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 am

I don't think I have ever seen all of this episode ( or the second part) even though they are very important episodes. I know that I have to watch them soon! Especially since I have this season on dvd so I really have no excuse not to watch it ShyGirl
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 am

I finally started watching this episode this morning, it is very sad to see Almanzo feeling so sorry for himself that he doesn't even try to get better. Even when Doc Baker says he thinks Almanzo can make a full recovery if he works hard at it. I am looking forward to watching the second part of this episode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day's of sunshine.part 1   Day's of sunshine.part 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Day's of sunshine.part 1
Page 1 of 1