Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me with a mystery??

Go down 
+3
pamh36
Rob
Joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Innoce10

Help me with a mystery?? Empty
PostSubject: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I just put an odd object that I own up for sale on ebay. I need your help because I really don't know what this thing is!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170776152649

Thanks for any suggestions.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Help me with a mystery?? Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm

That's a puzzler, Joe. It does look like some kind of fertility symbol, like you said in the description. In fact, just looking at it... is anybody else craving pickles and ice cream? Help me with a mystery?? 68167

Joe, where did you get it?
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 pm

I explain that in the description of the item. Frying pan
"I bought this at an shop that sold Roman oil lamps , coins and other artifacts but he didn't have a clue as to what it was." This was in Roseville, Michigan back in the early 90's.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh! I didn't scroll down.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am

The first picture reminded me of a calcified heart. Not that I have ever seen one before. laugh3 But, I have no clue what it could be.

Roseville is my city's next-door neighbor.

Help me with a mystery?? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Rob wrote:
That's a puzzler, Joe. It does look like some kind of fertility symbol, like you said in the description. In fact, just looking at it... is anybody else craving pickles and ice cream? Help me with a mystery?? 68167

Joe, where did you get it?

I agree. I think it's a fertility Venus or something similar...However, the calcified heart theory also fits me. grinsmiley greenS

Vanesa.

Help me with a mystery?? Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Calcified heart? eww.
Hey guys and guyettes, can I ask a favor? If you visit any other forums could you post the mystery? Here is the thread to the item again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170776152649
I really want to know what this is!!
(yes, and sell it.)

Back to top Go down
AaronM
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
AaronM

Number of posts : 70
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey Joe,
you might find this interesting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_lamp
Look on the right side of the page about half way down, there's one "similar" in function there, a double burner lamp.
I've seen a couple of them in pictures doing a Google search, looks like this one might be from 200A.D.? Very cool Joe!
I'm not thinking that it is a fertility item, the Romans were rather obsessed with the human body, but the oil lamps look to be made with some imagination, feet, heads, masks, horses, a little of everything put on them.
Still stinking cool, would bid on it myself if it were another form.

P.S. Check the pricing on the lamps Joe, seems most go from $150 to $200+

Help me with a mystery?? Aaron_10
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

AaronM wrote:
Hey Joe,
you might find this interesting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_lamp
Look on the right side of the page about half way down, there's one "similar" in function there, a double burner lamp.
I've seen a couple of them in pictures doing a Google search, looks like this one might be from 200A.D.? Very cool Joe!
I'm not thinking that it is a fertility item, the Romans were rather obsessed with the human body, the body is a reoccurring theme in their art work.

You might be on to something Aaron, although mine is awfully tiny, it wouldn't hold very much oil at all. Perhaps it's an oil lamp given as a celebratory gift for a childs birth as a symbol of how important light is. Keep in mind this object was created in a world lit only by fire. Once the sun went down there were no light switches or flashlights to illuminate our lives. In my mind it is possible that this could have been a token to a newborn child.
You got me thinkin' Aaron, thanks..........

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Yes, I think it could perfectly be a lamp oil, even if it is very tiny. I didn't think about iut before , but I suppose it's the best solution for the "mystery". Thank you very much, Aaron! Cool

Vanesa.

Help me with a mystery?? Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 am

If all else fails it would hold a roll of toilet paper nicely! Wink
Good luck!

Help me with a mystery?? Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Help me with a mystery?? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am

your too funny

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a mystery??   Help me with a mystery?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me with a mystery??
Page 1 of 1