Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Our dog

Go down 
+12
Amy
Rhonda
Alice
Teresa
bethandmanly
Krissy
Honeybee
Savannah
Carol
Gin
Rob
pamh36
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Many of you may know we have a German Shepherd named, Carol. She is almost 13 years old, and hasn't been doing well lately. So, we made the very difficult decision to let her go so she won't have to suffer any longer. We are taking her Friday afternoon. I haven't told the kids yet, and am not looking forward to it. Though, they are aware of the possibility. I wasn't sure if I should put this in the prayer thread or not, but I felt since she is a member of our family we love so much, it would be okay.

Our dog PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Our dog Goodsi10

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Pam. Our dog 410460 I know exactly what you're going through, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Our dog Love-s10

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 pm

13 yrs is a long time to love and care for an animal. We put two of our dogs down at that some age. Its hard but when they do nothing buy sleep you know they aren't really enjoying life anymore.
Get me a photo and I'll do a drawing. Maybe that will help the kids. HUGS!!

Our dog Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Our dog Happy010

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Pam, I know what you are going through Smiley Hug

I will pray that God give you strength in this difficult time and remember that you are doing a loving act towards Carol as you are going to end her suffering very peacefully. loveheart

I am positive she was loved and am sure she enjoyed her life as a member of your family. Now she will live on through your hearts.

Our dog Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Our dog Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Our dog 410460 Pam, I'm so sorry. They really do become members of the family - just with more hair. Your family has my prayers. I know how difficult it is - I remember how hard it was for me when we had to have Brianna put to sleep. But sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest thing to do. Our dog 410460 And it sounds like you're doing the kind, loving thing for Carol.

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : Our dog Bokmal10

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

I can't imagine putting my dog down. But, I got 10 years or so.

Pam, I'll pray for your family. So, God can comfort your family in this sorrow time.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Our dog Headac10

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Smiley Hug I know how you feel. I'm so sorry.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 pm

I'll be praying for you and your family. It's never an easy decision. I was glad I didn't have to face it with our last pet, who died suddenly. May God offer you the right words and help your family heal after your loss.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Pam, I'm so glad that you shared this with us. I will be praying that your family gets through this okay. It's so difficult to have to put a pet to sleep. We put our little Libby to sleep almost 2 years ago. She was 12 1/2. The actual anniversary is this coming Monday, the 20th.

The vet let me hold Libby in my arms, during the procedure, since she was pretty small, and I was able to hold her until she closed her eyes for the last time. I will NEVER forget that moment, but I'm so glad that I was able to do that.

Our dog TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I know how difficult it is to let go of a family pet.

My prayers will be with you and your family.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : Our dog Purple2

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Oh Pam, I know exactly what you are going through....please know that you and your family will be in my prayers during this sad trial in your lives..... Smiley Hug

Our dog Rhonda10Our dog Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Thank you so much to all of you. I can already tell it's going to be a rough, weepy couple of days. But, it is harder to think of her continuing on like she is, than letting her go. When she is looking up at you with sad eyes, laying on the freezing cold ground because she would rather do that than try and climb the couple of steps to get into the warm, cozy house (she does finally get up after several tries, and we can't lift her because that seems to hurt her too much). Then, when her hips start to go out on her and she can't get up without assistance, it's just time. I worry about that happening when we aren't home and laying like that for several hours (that happened to our last dog). You can see the fear in her eyes when that happens.

Gin, your offer to do a drawing of her is so touching, I don't have the words to express. Thank you so much for thinking of us like that. I will have to look and see what I have.

Our dog PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Oh Pam, I am so sorry. No This rings close to my heart right now because lately I've been thinking of our own beloved Shepard who died 11 years ago this month. He was 11 years old. 13 is a good long life for a large dog. Our Dugan died unexpectedly and was still running around like a puppy at 11--they think he had a heart attack or stroke. It sounds like Carol's tired body has caught up with her, and she needs for you to be strong for her and do the loving thing, which is what you are doing. I'm proud of you for making this decision, which I know is NOT an easy one.

One thing I did when we lost Dugan was a collage, with the kids. I let them pick the pictures they wanted, and we all worked on it together. It was a nice way to honor him.

I'll be praying for you and the family, Pam. Really, the sooner the better in telling the kids. They will want to spend extra quality time with Carol the next couple of days. My heart goes out to all of you. ((((HUGS)))

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:06 am

Carol too was running like a puppy at age 11. I'd get calls from the neighbors letting me know that she, yet again, hopped the fence and was making her visits around the neighborhood. She went downhill very fast. She had a rough night last night. Blue It felt like a sign saying we are doing the right thing.

We did tell the kids last night. It wasn't completely unexpected, but our hopes were boosted up when we tried a new medication and it seemed to be working at first. So, it's been kind of up and down.

We did the collage with our cat, Padre, who died 4 years ago. We still have it. It's a really good way to remember. Thanks, Amy. Smile

Our dog PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:11 am

Smiley Hug It had to be so hard to tell the kids. No I am so sorry your family is going through this Pam. Our pets give us so much joy for what seems like so little time. Remember and cherish the good times. loveheart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 am

Smiley Hug

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I am planning to make Christmas ornaments of our animals we have had. So far we have two dogs gone. OH, and a Hamster. Nathan still talks about that little escape artist. He was only 8 when she died and remembers burying her in a match box. Slid her right in, ...she fit perfectly. We had a funeral and everything. I remember Madison then 3 1/2 saying " She nant (cant) chew no more." We still use that line when we are stuffed and cant eat another bite of something. HA!

Thank God for animals...they are the one thing that you can count on when everything else is so wrong.

Our dog Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart

Last edited by Gin on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm

what a sweet idea

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:57 am

Gin wrote:
Thank God for animals...they are the one thing that you can count on when everything else is so wrong.

I love that. yes And I love your ornament idea too.

Pam, we're all here for you. My heart goes out to you and your family today.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : Our dog Purple2

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Thinking of you and your family today...... Smiley Hug

Our dog Rhonda10Our dog Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : Our dog Goodsi10

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Pam... Our dog Th_hugs
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 pm

I understand you perfectly and this is exactly the place in which you must post what you are going thourough... No My heart is with you nd your family.

Vanesa. Blue

Our dog Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm

i'm sorry for your loss

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm so sorry.

Our dog Alexke11
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks to all of you for your support. It has helped more than you know. Today was really tough. It was my first experience taking a pet to the vet to be put to sleep. I knew it would be hard, and it was harder than I imagined. But, I was glad to be there for her because she was always there for us. I feeling like she must be outside and I need to let her in. Blue

Gin, I love your ornament idea. Such a sweet way to remember.

Our dog PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Our dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our dog   Our dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Our dog
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Prairie Voices: Advice & Prayer Requests-
Jump to: