Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Faux Fireplace.

Go down 
+6
Vanesa
alexczarn
Amy
Savannah
Rob
Gin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Love-s10

My Faux  Fireplace. Empty
PostSubject: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Amy is making me post these photos of my fireplace. I just resently did a Faux Finish on the brick and she wanted me to share.

This is all paint made to look like just the rustic look of the brick. My brick was completly brown before I did this.
Amy did hers first and after sharing with me how she did it, I thought I could do anything AMY did...ha! I'm thinking Amy had it a bit more under control than I did at first.
End result was wonderful and I'm glad I took on the challenge.

NOW...Amy share yours too!

My Faux  Fireplace. Scan_812

My Faux  Fireplace. Scan_813

My Faux  Fireplace. Scan_919

My Faux  Fireplace. Scan_921

This last one is the brick on the OUTSIDE of my house. I was trying to get it as close to that as possible.

My Faux  Fireplace. Scan_920

My Faux  Fireplace. Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Nice work, GG! You're a woman of many talents!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
My Faux  Fireplace. Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Happy010

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Wow, you did a great job, Gin!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Gin wrote:
Amy is making me post these photos of my fireplace.

You make me sound so domineering. I like it. batEyes

Rob wrote:
Nice work, GG! You're a woman of many talents!

That she is! Gosh, what CAN'T Gin do?!?! thud

Gin, this is remarkable. What an amazing difference! I am thrilled that this technique worked for you....considering it's a 'made up' technique by your truly! Ooops Kinda scary, recommending it to someone else!

I'll have to find my pictures and post soon! I know they're already on here somewhere....

Congrats on a job well done! bravo

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I sponged my paint on the brick Amy. I tried the rags and the saran wrap....that was about when I said aloud...." Amy, you have got to be kidding. I am going to send you a $5 bill wrapped in 80ft of saran wrap!" I was going to make you work for it.

You flatter me guys, but there is alot I am terrified of even trying.

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Amy!! You should find a way to market your method - it looks fantastic!! You are a very clever woman!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Aw, shucks. Thank you! ShyGirl It really was borne out of necessity. I had looked at all the faux sites and thought they all looked, well, 'faux'! HeeHee When I'm less tired, I will post a couple of my pics and will explain the technique.

LOL about the saran and rags, Gin! Actually it was saran and paper towels that I used! Worked like a charm for me! LOL! I wonder if it depends on the thickness of the paint. But I can see where sponges would work well too! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 pm

WOW actually that looks epic!

My Faux  Fireplace. Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Found them!

This is the before pic of my fireplace....just plain dated and awful.

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2710

First process....stippling on MANY paint colors....I think I used 7 or 8 total. Most of them go onto each and every brick, making sure to vary some so they are not redundant, and have somewhat of a pattern:

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2811

And oh, actually the FIRST process was the grout...my original grout was very 'blah' so I decided to paint mine to brighten it up some. I know Gin painted hers too...the grout can make all the difference.

Final process...adding the stain for a rich, authentic look....you can see the bottom, right hand bricks are brighter---not stained yet:

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2810

Almost done:

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2812

Final result:

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2813
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Thought I'd share a close-up of the brick too:

My Faux  Fireplace. Dscf2814

Moral of the story...don't be afraid of this. I am not an artist by any means, and I did this, lol. Yes, it's labor intensive, but totally worth it! Thumbsup This took me one weekend and cost me next to NOthing, considering you use VERY little of each paint color. (As Gin will tell you though, if you have a hard time deciding on the colors, it will take you a tad longer. batEyes ).
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Gin and Amy...Your home seems to be very cozy! Conratulations! You both did a great job! Smile

Vanesa

My Faux  Fireplace. Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 am

Wow! You ladies are amazing. I might be able to hire someone to do things like that, but for me to do it, um, tragic things would happen.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 am

I remember you showing me the pictures of it, Amy - but I had no idea that you'd come up with the process yourself! It looks absolutely stunning! You and Gin both did such beautiful work!!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 am

Thank you Vanesa, Cheryl, & Savannah. Smile

Cheryl, you are too funny! TRUST me, it's not as hard as you think. Wink

Savannah, I had posted these on the board before but couldn't find the thread anywhere. scratchead But yeah, I just kind of modified a lot of what I'd seen on other sites. I had never seen anyone use stain before, but turns out that's what really did the trick. And a lot of people say to prime first. Priming is just going to give a smooth 'barrier' over the brick. You want the 'pores' of the brick exposed, so that you can get all of the diluted paint colors in there without really 'building up' and having a thick layer. THAT is what will peel. My paint ain't going anywhere. No

Thanks for the compliments, ladies! Smiley Hug
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 am

Great job, ladies!

My Faux  Fireplace. Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Innoce10

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Very nice you two!!! You should go into business!!

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

My Faux  Fireplace. Pbucket
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks guys! Smile

And Joe, that would be kind of fun....I do other kinds of faux finishes too, just not a ton. Not sure if I'd have enough 'know how' to really go into business. But I think doing this for other people would be kinda fun. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : My Faux  Fireplace. Headac10

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:20 pm

very cool

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 pm

I took all weekend trying to argue colors with Clay. As I told Amy, he has a feminine side that just about drove me over the edge. He kept telling me it was too dark or too light or he didn't like the gold...blah, blah, blah. When I told him he should help me he ran...so I was alone to finally work.
Amy used paints and thinned the colors, I did not...I just sponged them on at a medium thickness. I had everyone of the colors except the green and gold. All I bought was some samples for $3 each at Lowes in those colors. Got two large sponges I cut into large chunks for each color and poured my paint in paper plates. My total cost was $15!!!
If you have cans of paint still good and just waiting for the next project you can do this without spending much at all.
Amy could be the next Genevieve Gorder(who named her!)....she has a creative side that shines! Lucky for her I didn't give up on this when I didn't fully understand how it was to work. (I'm a stubborn apprentice!)

Thanks Amy, and all....this was well worth the sore feet from standing on the ladder for a week!

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Gin wrote:
Amy could be the next Genevieve Gorder(who named her!)....she has a creative side that shines! Lucky for her I didn't give up on this when I didn't fully understand how it was to work. (I'm a stubborn apprentice!)

Thanks Amy, and all....this was well worth the sore feet from standing on the ladder for a week!

Aw, what a compliment! I love Genevieve! (Yes, what a name, lol!). You are so welcome Gin...I'm so glad all the labor and agony ended up being worth it in the end! Thumbsup

I was just telling Savannah about my next project I'm going to attempt. I want to faux wood my white interior doors (that have an ingrained wood texture. A lady did this using gel stain, and look how realistic! (warning---the video is a little shaky). She is a professional faux painter so yeah...not sure if mine will turn out quite like this. Whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8my0rVKWVNM&feature=related

And this is the technique I would use on my front exterior door, using paint and glaze. It is just solid steel (with the panels)...I would need to create my own wood grain with the tool used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwROpn4I3pU

If this actually turns out, I'll post pictures. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Faux Fireplace.   My Faux  Fireplace. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Faux Fireplace.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: