Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

If you could live in the Little House...

Go down 
+8
Krissy
bestshowever
Davetucson
Kamberley
bethandmanly
Gin
Vanesa
littlehouselover
12 posters
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

If you could live in the Little House... Empty
PostSubject: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 pm

How long would you last? I think realistically, a long weekend...but the outhouse would do me in. Smile
I would love the simplicity, lack of TV, etc. but after having eggs and bread (couldn't kill anything) and having to use a wash board for my clothes, churning my butter, etc. I'd grow weary. A lot of work back then, but I would get a lot of peace from the time I spent there, especially going to town and enjoying the quiet by the creek.
(ps) this stemmed partly from a chaotic NYC trip this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:49 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
How long would you last? I think realistically, a long weekend...but the outhouse would do me in. Smile
I would love the simplicity, lack of TV, etc. but after having eggs and bread (couldn't kill anything) and having to use a wash board for my clothes, churning my butter, etc. I'd grow weary. A lot of work back then, but I would get a lot of peace from the time I spent there, especially going to town and enjoying the quiet by the creek.
(ps) this stemmed partly from a chaotic NYC trip this weekend.

Oh, I think I'm completely able to live like my granny did. My only lack of modern things, will be a computer...But probably if I was living back then, I should have so many things to do, and so many neighbors with whom undertake things that I wouldn't feel I don't have a PC along with me. batEyes

Vanesa.

If you could live in the Little House... Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 am

"Maybe" the outhouse would not be such an issue after a while, but not being a big camper, it's the one factor for me that would be hard (and no shower)

If I could live there with a town, just like it is now, that would help a lot, but just alone, like a vacation spot..that would be different for me.

I agree, the PC fills up time that our modern conveniences give us.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

I think I would love it. If I could sit and draw in the evenings it would be great.
I would love to have a little garden, chickens, and a horse to ride. Now, I'm assuming this is springtime or summertime that I am there. Winter would be tough. Doing chores in cold I am not accustomed to would do me in. Guess I would have to work on my woodpile in the summer so I would have enough come winter. Alot of preparing !
OH, and I want to sleep in the loft. lol

If you could live in the Little House... Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 am

Yes...The "outhouse" thing would be bothering for me...at least in the middle of the winter... grinsmiley

An I share your opinion, Gin. Smile

Vanesa.

If you could live in the Little House... Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I might last a day. I love writing about this time period and watching shows set during this time period, but give me indoor plubming, computers, and good hygiene any day.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes, as a woman I don't want to think about issue that modern laundry and hygiene help with.
I would love a weekend in that time period if you could go back but I would never give up the medicine that saves lives now or want the harsh winters.
We do become slaves to conveniences though...some are wonderful, other make us lazy.
I miss real letters, stamps, the anticipation, the reading it over and over and the smell of perfume or other things at times. Even my teens had an agreement with a friend to write real letters when she moved...it's just nicer.
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 4:15 pm

I think the only thing I would like about living in the little house would be eating popcorn in bed showpop
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Speaking of popcorn, ever notice how Charles would drink coffee at ALL hours of the night. It could be one o'clock in the morning and Caroline would offer him a cup of coffee. That boy must have been immune to caffiene! And they could both throw down that popcorn!

And then when Albert would want a cup, Charles would tell him it had to be half milk. Was he afraid it was going to keep the boy up?

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I always noticed that...he could be dead tired and Caroline would offer him coffee. Now that I think about it, milk was mainly given to the children, lemonade was a treat, so it was coffee or water. It seemed the women would have "tea" when they visited.
Back to top Go down
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 pm

I was looking for this tread. Thread resurection time!
Tell you what I'd like to do. If I were rich, I would build a replica of the Little House, but put in the modern conveniences so it would be feasible to live in. I'd have the basic layout, but about 2,000 square feet. I'd have a totaly modern kitchen, with the laundry room off the kitchen. In the downstairs bedrooms, I'd have a master bath. The loft I would use for a den/computer room, and have a spiral staircase going up to it instead of a ladder. The main room with the fireplace as the centerpiece, I'd leave as it is, with just a table in the room. I guess off to the right, I could have a couch.

That would be styling, I think the contractor would think I was nuts though!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Headac10

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:00 am

I love watching Time period shows. I just don't think I could last to long. I thought of eating some of that food like rabbit or lamp makes my stomach turn. I could only last a weekend. I would miss my PC/ Ipod and t.V LOL. I couldn't kill for my own food either. The thought of using a out house. A night time during cold winters would not be fun. lol

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 pm

They have done that...there are people who make replicas...I found one but there is another guy who is making the house, outhouse, barn and selling them.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Little-House-on-the-Prairie-ReplicaIngalls-House-Light-boxed/1974573
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
If you could live in the Little House... MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Happy010

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 9:23 am

Sometimes I wish we could go back to the little house times... things were simpler back then. Of course, I wouldn't mind things like a real bathroom, running water, and all of the current medical advances, but I think it would be a nice time to go back to.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

If you could live in the Little House... Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Horatio Hornblower
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Horatio Hornblower

Number of posts : 29
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Xmassm5

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 pm

LauraIngallsfan wrote:
Sometimes I wish we could go back to the little house times... things were simpler back then. Of course, I wouldn't mind things like a real bathroom, running water, and all of the current medical advances, but I think it would be a nice time to go back to.

In contrast to what many people seem to think. Life in the 19th century was not simple it was a hard life for most people.

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”

― Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
If you could live in the Little House... MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Happy010

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Horatio Hornblower wrote:
In contrast to what many people seem to think. Life in the 19th century was not simple it was a hard life for most people.

That's not the type of "simple" that I was referring to. Simple in that they didn't have to have all these crazy electronics that we have now.... People have $800+ phones, smart watches, touch screens in their cars, and now everything is complex. Back then you would see so much more personal contact between the people, especially families. Now it is not uncommon to see people sitting next to each other texting (possibly texting each other!) and never talking to each other. It's a real problem that is only going to get worse. Maybe simple wasn't the right word for it.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

If you could live in the Little House... Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : If you could live in the Little House... Purple2

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:39 pm

I would only last a weekend. No electricity, phone, computer or TV. The outhouse would make me want to leave. I can't stand out houses. I know that was what they had back then, but yuck.
Back to top Go down
Charles Angles
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Charles Angles

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 3:05 am

LauraIngallsfan wrote:

Back then you would see so much more personal contact between the people, especially families. Now it is not uncommon to see people sitting next to each other texting (possibly texting each other!) and never talking to each other.

I agree with your words.   Also,I notice when people talk on their cell phones....example..... A person will say, "Where are you?"  I'm over here.....next to the store.  Walk a little ways, and I'll see if I can see you".   Cell phones teach us that we don't have to be articulate with our thoughts. We can be lazy with our minds.  And after needless extra time spent, we finally achieve our goal.  Before we had this technology, we were forced to be precise and say what we needed to....because we weren't guaranteed another conversation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could live in the Little House...   If you could live in the Little House... Empty

Back to top Go down

If you could live in the Little House...
Page 1 of 1