HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

1800's toys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1013

PostSubject: 1800's toys   Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am

I was surprised to read that a speaking doll came before alphabet blocks..I thought some of these things came much later.

1800s

1817: The kaleidoscope was patented by Sir David Brewster, a Scottish scientist, who saw the potential for a popular children's toy.

1823: The first speaking doll is invented by Johann Maelzel. The extent of the doll's talking ability was the word "Maman" if the left arm of the doll was raised to shoulder height, and "Papa" if the right arm was raised.

1825: The first dolls with moving eyes appear. A wire, which was attached to the eyelids (inside the doll), exited the doll at the waist, so that the user could pull the wire and operate the eyes as needed.

1843: "The Mansion of Happiness" board game is created by Anne Abbot as a means to teach children the value of moral choices.

1879: Alphabet Blocks make their first appearance, and help generations of children to learn their ABC's

I know the Ingall's were poor most of the time, but there was a dearth of toys at their home. When you think about it, Mary never really had a doll or toy, Laura had Charlotte and a glass doll at one time, Carrie a rag doll. I never saw blocks or the rocking horse Charles made for them with Mr. Edwards before the blizzard. I know Laura had marbles, but you never saw a ball or homemade toys. I know in the books, I remember them making things. They stayed busy, but I thought Pa might have made a few things....but then their house would look like mine and too much clutter is not good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37829
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 pm

wow..Instersting facts..Yeah.I didn't notice the girls with much toys in the show.I think maybe back them children seemed to be fine with not much toys.They made fun on there own.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buttercup
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 3347
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks about the history of 1800's toys. Some of these toys are still being made, of this century.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37829
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 pm

That is very true. Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5178
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 am

I loved your insight, since I'm very interested in social and cultural history...And Laura was writing it without knowing she was doing it! Smile

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler

Number of posts : 881
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:18 am

Nice post littlehouselover!! Well done! showpop

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1800's toys   Today at 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down

1800's toys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1