Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

the room above the post office

Go down 
+2
jes9
whitelighter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 77

the room above the post office Empty
PostSubject: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:17 am

Before Nellie's opened, I believe the closest thing the town had to a hotel was a room (or rooms?) above the post office. I was never clear who one would pay to rent the room. Who owned it? Also, where would someone staying in the room have eaten before the restaurant was built? The rooms didn't have kitchenettes.
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 am

I think it would have to be either Doc Baker or Lars Hanson who rented the rooms. I know it wasn't the Olesons, and I don't know anybody else it would have been. As for where to eat, I have no idea. Come to think of it, where did Doc Baker live and eat?

the room above the post office JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 am

I asked this once before...the logical part of the mind comes in when you watch something a few times. I don't think they thought it was something they had to worry about but "maybe" it had a fireplace to heat fish, etc. Maybe he got a few free meals in place of getting paid at times. They did show him fishing or going fishing once or twice....we know he wasn't a farmer when he tried that. Laughing
I learned not to question why the restaurant had Caroline's on one sign and Nellie's on another and neither at one point were there.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : the room above the post office Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 am

Remember "There's No Place Like Home" when Dr. Baker was taking care of Lars Anderson?
He brought him food up there to his room?

There was obviously a place to cook food where Doc Baker stayed above the Post Office.

The Post Office, Doc Bakers Office and The boarding House were all ONE building.
Doc Baker owned it...........

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
whitelighter
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Davetucson wrote:
The Post Office, Doc Bakers Office and The boarding House were all ONE building.
Doc Baker owned it...........

Was it ever actually stated that he owned the building (and if so what episode)?

As for where he himself slept, I didn't get the impression that he stayed above his office, even though I just noticed in a rerun it did say "Rooms" (plural) outside. If I remember correctly, when Albert broke into the Doc's office in "Home Again" he didn't seem especially concerned about waking anyone upstairs up.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm

I always thought Lars owned it, since he seemed to be the only one with real money in town other than the Olesons. After his death, he donated his house, so perhaps all his property was donated.

As for Doc Baker, I always assumed he lived above his office. It's possible Albert not caring about waking anyone up was simply an oversight on the writers' parts, but Doc Baker could also have been out on a call.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : the room above the post office Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't ever recall them saying who owned the building, but I just assumed it was Lars because of the post office also occupying part of it. And I never gave it a second thought about Doc Baker living there. His office was also a part of the buidling. And he lived above it.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Rob told me! I don't know where he found it out!
the room above the post office Barney12

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the room above the post office   the room above the post office Empty

Back to top Go down

the room above the post office
Page 1 of 1