Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Happy010

Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Empty
PostSubject: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey guys, maybe you can help me! I have a dog named Roxy who is 3 years old now. Mom and I got her at the shelter when she was 4 months old. She's our little baby! She's the sweetest dog, and loves people! The problem is, she can't stand other dogs! She only loves one dog...our neighbor's dog who has a yorkie. Other times, she sees another dog...and wants to attack! For some reason, other dogs want to attack her too. I don't know if maybe she was traumatized at the shelter, but all I know is, if either I or Mom take her for a walk, and she sees another dog, she pulls really hard because she wants to attack! It's so unlike this otherwise super-sweet dog! She practically pulls my arm out of the socket! Besides that, like I said, she's usually very sweet and well-behaved. I want to take her to the dog park, but I'm afraid to.

Any suggestions? I wanted to try Cesar Milan (aka, the Dog Whisperer), but he's not in my budget! LOL
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Party010

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:46 pm

From what I know... most dogs from shelters are there because they have suffered some trauma. Either abuse from their dog parents, their original human parents or the other shelter animals there.

This is something I learned to do while dogsitting for my parents this summer for three weeks. Murphy (our dog) is a 2 year old large, strong golden retriever...

You HAVE TO (and I can't stress that enough)... keep him to your left. Hold the leash handle in your right hand, and have Roxy cross over to your left side, and have the leash lead in your left hand as well. This is just in case she darts out unexpectedly, you have "two hands on the wheel" so to speak. This stance (for some reason) tells the dog that YOU are the boss and YOU are in control. I think that dogs can tell the difference... I now see so many dog people and even dog walkers who DON'T do this, and the dogs are out of control.

Also... no matter what size of dog Roxy is, get a harness style of collar. The type that murphy had, went around his legs and attatched to itself around the nape of the neck. It really helps dogs not pull, and if she is a smaller breed, you don't have to worry about hurting her trachea.

The harness collar also helps with my next suggestion... whenever you sense a situation brewing..., put Roxy in a sit and stay, and be directly over her and between her and the "situation". Give Roxy something to focus on other than the apparent threat approaching(you). Even better if you turn Roxy around to not face the threat. Encourage the owner of the threat to move along quickly. It also never hurts to physically turn around and walk the other way, as well.

Lastly, always pay attention to her behavior and mood, whether other dogs are visible or not. Animals can always sense "danger" so you can tell if something is upsetting her before it is visibly obvious.

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks Deem! I will try that, and I'll let Mom know too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 am

Deem714 wrote:
From what I know... most dogs from shelters are there because they have suffered some trauma. Either abuse from their dog parents, their original human parents or the other shelter animals there.

Well, I'd have to disagree with that. There are plenty of dogs in shelters that have been abused, not disagreeing there, but I wouldn't say 'most'. My sister was the head of P.R. at our shelter for 10 years, and says that a great deal of dogs have been given up because of the economy (people can't afford them), or because they can't get along with a person's existing animal. But most dogs are there though because they are not good with children. Sometimes you just don't know that until you get them home and try it out, and it doesn't mean necessarily that they were abused or harmed by children, but probably that they were never socialized with children as a puppy and are just not used to them and can't be trusted. That happened to us with one of the shelter dogs we adopted.

Deem714 wrote:
Also... no matter what size of dog Roxy is, get a harness style of collar. The type that murphy had, went around his legs and attatched to itself around the nape of the neck. It really helps dogs not pull, and if she is a smaller breed, you don't have to worry about hurting her trachea.

I couldn't agree more about the harness, and have told some neighborhood walkers (who are struggling with their dogs) to purchase one. It makes all the difference. The ones we use though have the lead attaching at the center of the back, and don't go at the neck. I find I have the most control of my dogs this way.

Good luck, Julie...I have had my share of issues with my dogs wanting to get to other dogs on walks---not necessarily trying to 'attack' or being psycho, lol, but they are definitely tough to control. I've never heard about holding them on the left---I will try that. But you'll find that the harness will at least help you control Roxy better. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Amy wrote:

I couldn't agree more about the harness, and have told some neighborhood walkers (who are struggling with their dogs) to purchase one. It makes all the difference. The ones we use though have the lead attaching at the center of the back, and don't go at the neck. I find I have the most control of my dogs this way.

Yep - I liked the ones that connect at mid-back, too. It gives you more control over their center of balance.

Believe it or not, taking your dog to an obedience class might be a good idea. I know that sounds like ridiculous advice, since there would be a ton of other dogs there - but I've seen it work wonders with dogs. It's like the large number of dogs there kind of overwhelms them, and they're not sure where to start, so they just settle down and watch things guardedly at first. But after a while, they start to relax.

Also, walk briskly and confidently with her. If she senses you tensing up (which is completely normal now that you're used to her trying to go on the attack when she sees other dogs), she'll automatically feel like she should be on guard. If she starts to growl, try to use a relaxed, cheerful voice, and tell her, "No, Roxy", and just keep walking as briskly as you can. (Which is not an easy task when you have a dog trying to jerk your arm off, I know.
Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! 135245 ) But if she senses that you're relaxed, she'll feel safer. Some dogs are just naturally more fearful of other dogs. She may not have been socialized as a puppy, and that makes all the difference in the world. It's much harder to socialize them once they've already developed a suspicious nature toward other dogs, but it can be done.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Excellent advice, Lisa. Thumbsup

And yeah, count me in as a dog owner with little faith in her dogs at obedience school. Yikes I see the classes at our Petsmart and think, 'Um, never going to happen.' Whistle And then I think, well, they keep filling up their classes, so they must be working! scratchead We have a vet near our house that would be convenient to take the dogs to---I'd love to try just to see. My girls could certainly use better manners---my biggest problem is at the front door.....they don't do this with everyone, but are a tad 'overly friendly' with people they don't see often. Yikes
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:38 pm

But, Mimi!! Who could resist being greeted by Jenna?? EVERYONE wants to be greeted by Jenna - she's sure of it!
Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! 702150
Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Jenna10
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Awww I'd love to be greeted by Jenna!

Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Laughing Lisa, she is definitely sure of it! batEyes

alexczarn wrote:
Awww I'd love to be greeted by Jenna!

Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Awww, Jenna is cute! She kinda looks like my Roxy!

Thanks so much for your advice, everybody. I was afraid of obedience school because of the other dogs. Also, Mom and I are usually very tense wondering if another dog will come around, so I'm sure Roxy senses that! We'll try our best to relax first, so she can be more relaxed. I also eventually want her to get to know other dogs. I don't understand how come she gets along with my neighbor's dog so well though...the only dog she'll get along with! What's really strange is that dog is also female. I've heard that 2 female dogs usually don't get along?
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Party010

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Jusgt a question... when Roxy and the other dog play or get together, who lies down first??

The dog who lies down first is the more submissive one.
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Roxy usually lies down. In fact, she lies down the minute Mattie (other dog) comes over to her...then they "kiss" each other hello. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 pm

julmer70 wrote:
Awww, Jenna is cute! She kinda looks like my Roxy!

Thanks! She's definitely a character! HeeHee Is Roxy a Beagle too? I don't think I noticed if you mentioned her breed....

Julmer wrote:
What's really strange is that dog is also female. I've heard that 2 female dogs usually don't get along?

I had always heard that too, but my two females are perfect together. Jenna is totally submissive to our Golden mix, Chelsey. We had Chelsey first, and were unsure bringing a female dog into the mix, but were pleasantly surprised when Jenna was totally content to let Chelsey be 'alpha'.

And we have that situation too....Jenna IS submissive, but when it comes to taking walks and actually passing dogs on the street, she goes into attack mode, lol!
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 10:59 pm

No, Roxy's not a beagle. She's a mix of something, but we can't tell of what! The shelter listed her as a Rottweiler mix, but she looks and acts nothing like a Rottweiler. She seems more like a Shephard mix. Jenna's face (and expression) reminded me of Roxy though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!   Dog Lovers/Experts...Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog Lovers/Experts...Help!
Page 1 of 1