Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero

Go down 
+8
Davetucson
Gin
Vanesa
Krissy
Rhonda
LIWnut
Debbie
Carol
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Happy010

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Empty
PostSubject: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero. In this picture, Laura is about 65 and Almanzo is about 75.

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero 546131_468364163186508_1227950036_n

Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder was only 4'11", and Almanzo was only5'4"! The counters in their home were therefore lower than usual to accommodate the couple's height.

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Horses10
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I've never seen that picture before, thank you so much for posting it!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 pm

I have stood where they are standing, on the front porch of the Rock House in Mansfield.

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero MarilynKeeper Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Xmassm4

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 pm

LIWnut wrote:
I have stood where they are standing, on the front porch of the Rock House in Mansfield.

Wow, very interesting Marilyn! I would love to stand there myself.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Diva_c11

A group of Laura fans visit the Rock House in 2008

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero MarilynKeeper Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Very cool Marilyn grinsmiley

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I have stood there as well and have been in the house that Almanzo built for them and the downsized kitchen he made just for his petite wife, Laura. I even heard or read somewhere that Laura stood just between Caroline's and Charles' height....so I figure they were all of short stature.

I need to get back over there, just down the road from me....
yes

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Rhonda10Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Nice picture.Never seen it before.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:17 am

I've already seen it, but not in this big size and so clear...They were really short, then! Smile Laura was lovely. She seemed a little doll, even when she was an old lady.

She didn't remain long at the Stone HOuse, as soon as Rose returned to Connecticut, Laura and Almanzo move again to their old house. "We were homesick" - she explained. Smile

Vanesa.

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

Walking through the stone house I didn't "feel" Laura there as I did in the house she and Almonzo built. Although, the lot it is on is beautiful! I'll have to find the pictures I took while there.
Its such a fuzzy feeling to know you've stood where Laura has and looked at the same views . loveheart

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Rhonda wrote:
I have stood there as well and have been in the house that Almanzo built for them and the downsized kitchen he made just for his petite wife, Laura. I even heard or read somewhere that Laura stood just between Caroline's and Charles' height....so I figure they were all of short stature.

I need to get back over there, just down the road from me....
yes

How absolutely cool Rhonda that tyou and others were there! Wow!

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 pm

I didn't know that. She was short. I never saw this picture before. great picture.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Gin wrote:
Walking through the stone house I didn't "feel" Laura there as I did in the house she and Almonzo built. Although, the lot it is on is beautiful! I'll have to find the pictures I took while there.
Its such a fuzzy feeling to know you've stood where Laura has and looked at the same views . loveheart

What a great experience, Gin...I think that the love we feel while we are living in thios world, always remains, and other persons can occasionnally feel it as well. Smile

What a great thing to being able to be in the same places where Laura lived, and see the same landscapes she saw every day! Cloud 9

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Susie
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Susie

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm

I didn't realize Almanzo who short.

Love your picture Marilyn greenS One day I'm going to Mansfield,Mo(hopefully this summer). It's less than a days drive from me. yesss

He doesn't always answer in the way that we want, but in a way He thinks is best for each of us.
Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Wow! They were tiny! Was everyone back then that small?
Back to top Go down
NancyFan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
NancyFan

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 6:47 pm

So happy for those of you who actually visited the stone house! Some day it'll be my turn, hopefully. :)

I'm wondering, has Laura ever written anything about how clothing styles changed from her childhood to adulthood? I know she had more exciting things to write about, but seeing her in a short-sleeve dress makes me go "wow", considering the long dresses and petticoats they wore in the 1880s.

NancyFan aka Sue
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 am

Laura Ingalls was a very modern woman, and she was very stylish too. She wrote a lot of article et the "Missouri Ruralist" about how things were changing from her childhood to adulthood, but I don't know if she ever wrote about clothes...Anyone? scratchead

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero   Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura and Almanzo at their Stone House with their dog, Nero
Page 1 of 1