Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A hairy situation

Go down 
+5
Melissa
HarrisonCrosby4387
Carol
Rhonda
Savannah
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
A hairy situation Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : A hairy situation Happy010

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 pm

All this morning, I was tearing down an old wall going up the stairway. It's OLD, OLD plaster. The house is a little over 100 years old, but I'm not sure how old that particular wall is. Anyway.....I first took off the paneling (which I'm glad to see go........ UGLY) and underneath was what used to be a gorgeous Edwardian wallpaper. It was cream color, with white calla lilies and a thin thread of shining gold running through. It looks like is used to be stunning! Of course, it isn't lovely any more. And some child, probably like 70 years ago, took it upon him/herself to take a crayon and color in some of the flowers on the wallpaper! (LOL - Children!) Too bad. It was fabulous! But, it had to be torn off, so I could tear down the plaster wall. . . . . Well, I got most of the plaster taken down, when I started realizing that there was hair - lots of HAIR - throughout the plaster. It's a beautiful shade of red, and there's a lot of it. :unsure: ??? So...... I'm wondering what that's all about. I seem to remember that horse hair was used in some walling projects years and years ago......but I could be wrong about that. I have all of these useless bits of trivia in my head, and they sometimes co-mingle with one another. ROTFL But, the hair looks like human hair. So, did we have a red-haired man who did the plastering on the wall? Or.....should I be worried that there's a red-haired corpse BEHIND the wall?? (Just kidding!! LOL! :Hahaha: ) At any rate, I thought it was interesting to find so much hair throughout the project. Maybe the man was so frustrated by the work, that he was pulling his hair out. grinsmiley

And.......I wonder how much plaster dust I've swallowed today?? *cough, sneeze!*
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : A hairy situation Purple2

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 12:42 pm

:Hahaha: Well, Savannah, the wallpaper was very beautiful and I am so sorry about all the hair, I was having a bad hair day when the plaster and paper went up!

A hairy situation Rhonda10A hairy situation Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 2:46 pm

LOL That is weeeeirrrd.... Laughing *cue twilight zone music now*

A hairy situation Horses10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 2:56 pm

Okay so I did a little bit of digging because the above situation sounded weird to me... grinsmiley
It looks like years before... horse hair plaster was used as a wall covering material..... fast foward to our time.... now the drywall is used. :fyi:

Back to top Go down

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 3:09 pm

This is very strange.Huh? ....ROTFL
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : A hairy situation Happy011

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Eww gross! :gross:

You have been really coming up with the stories this week. Very interesting ones at that. :)

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Melissa

Number of posts : 561

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 9:59 pm

How strange and gross! I wonder what the story behind that is.

A hairy situation MelissaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 10:05 pm

It is strange! I was looking into it on google, and horse hair (as well as goat's hair, etc) was used years ago in plaster walls. But it wasn't supposed to be locks of hair, like I was finding. It was supposed to be evenly blended in. Of course, it could just be that they didn't mix it well when they made the plaster up......but it's so odd. The hair is very soft, and it's in clumps or locks.......Odd.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : A hairy situation Goodsi10

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Er, not to be an alarmist, but what color hair did Jimmy Hoffa have? :unsure:
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptyFri Jun 08, 2007 10:32 pm

ROB! :Hahaha:
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 am

Personally, I think there's a red-haired man behind the wall. LOL, that is too funny! But it's so strange to think of horse hair being used with plaster :scratch:

A hairy situation ChristinaKeeper2 A hairy situation 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : A hairy situation Purple2

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 11:09 am

Did you say you have a plastered horse and goat in your wall? ROTFL

A hairy situation Rhonda10A hairy situation Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Er, not to be an alarmist, but what color hair did Jimmy Hoffa have? :unsure:

Hahahahaha. that's the best!!! ROTFL :Hahaha:

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 5:14 pm

At least I never had an Irish Setter go missing.................

"Has anyone seen Trixie??".....................

batEyes
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 7:27 pm

One other thing that was . . . . .interesting. Well.....not interesting. . . . more like........ annoying. (Shoot, I've GOT to watch less Green Acres. I swear I'm starting to sound like Hank Kimball)
It took me TWO HOURS yesterday, to take down a 2' x 18" section of the wall, because some genius mixed plaster and cement for that area of the wall.......and instead of putting lathe up like the rest of the wall had......... filled that area level to the rest of the plaster, with that nasty plaster/cement combo. So it was like three inches thick!! I took a hammer and gave it a solid WHACK! It didn't even put a dent in that area of the wall. (It did, however, slightly rattle my teeth, and momentarily cross my eyes) If they'd have done the whole wall with that stuff, it'd be standing til doomsday! There's a semi-pro wrestler in my church, and tomorrow when I see him, I may challenge him to an arm-wrestling competition. After all of the work and muscle it took to take that area down yesterday, I think I could take him! (Or not. :Hahaha: )

My cat came by......saw me chipping furiously at the wall, and looked at me as if to say "And you get mad at ME if I just scratch at the railing!!!".
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 8:52 pm

heheheh

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySat Jun 09, 2007 10:13 pm

ROTFL You are crazy Savannah... grinsmiley

Back to top Go down
LHDaisy
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHDaisy

Number of posts : 277

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 am

HAHAHA :haha:

A hairy situation DaisyKeeper

Carrie Ingalls: 'Happy Birthday Baby Jesus'
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
A hairy situation LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : A hairy situation Vianne10

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 12:25 pm

I've never heard of mixing plaster with horse hair..........although, I did hear mixing plaster with dry hay to give the look of country setting.

Keep whacking Savannah..........You're doing great!!!..........
:haha:

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation EmptySun Jun 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Carol wrote:
ROTFL You are crazy Savannah... grinsmiley

Huh? Who told??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A hairy situation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A hairy situation   A hairy situation Empty

Back to top Go down

A hairy situation
Page 1 of 1