Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!

Go down 
+4
Krissy
Vanesa
Davetucson
Honeybee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Bokmal10

Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Empty
PostSubject: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm

So, my mom called my older sister, Heather. To see, what gifts my oldest niece already has. She told my mom, what stuff her older daughter has. My mom was explaining to Heather, that she bought barbies for the girls for Christmas. She told my mom. Izzy, doesn't play barbies anymore. The only barbie she will have. Is the Hunger Games Barbie. Were thinking maybe her cousins on her dad side, is telling her, it's not cool playing barbies. I thought she will play until she is teenager at least. She's only 11. Then, were thinking maybe she's getting tired 1 of her sister taking her barbie & her other younger sister destroy them. Gabby is only 3. I don't think, she understand playing Barbies. So, I'm not sure, Izzy will play barbies when she comes over to our house.

When, I was 11. I was still playing barbies, toys, games, pretend I had my own restaurant, school, library, & etc...

Why do kids grow up so fast these days?

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Buttercup wrote:
So, my mom called my older sister, Heather. To see, what gifts my oldest niece already has. She told my mom, what stuff her older daughter has. My mom was explaining to Heather, that she bought barbies for the girls for Christmas. She told my mom. Izzy, doesn't play barbies anymore. The only barbie she will have. Is the Hunger Games Barbie. Were thinking maybe her cousins on her dad side, is telling her, it's not cool playing barbies. I thought she will play until she is teenager at least. She's only 11. Then, were thinking maybe she's getting tired 1 of her sister taking her barbie & her other younger sister destroy them. Gabby is only 3. I don't think, she understand playing Barbies. So, I'm not sure, Izzy will play barbies when she comes over to our house.

When, I was 11. I was still playing barbies, toys, games, pretend I had my own restaurant, school, library, & etc...

Why do kids grow up so fast these days?

Simple answer: Look what they are exposed to every day!

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."

Last edited by Davetucson on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm

^ I know. My niece got ipod at 9 years old. her other grandma bought for her for Christmas. Then, theirs some kids already have facebook or twitter. Some are young has 8. The parents don't care. Right now, Izzy doesn't have facebook. But, probably in 2 years or so. She will. Few years later. Babies will have cellphones. Just gets worse every year.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 am

You've said it, Dave! Thumbsup Amen to that... Smile

Vanesa.

Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 am

Kids rather have Ipods,Ipads now a days.I'm almost scared to say that maybe sooner or latter kids won't play with babrbies anymore.I think some 11 year olds are just more mature and grown up at that age where they get more into girly stuff.I still played with babrbies at 11 even tho i think i was starting to think i was getting to old for them.But that's just me.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 am

Thats the price we are paying for technology. Parents have a huge responsibility nowadays with the internet. It amazes me how lightly some of them take it. It can truly be a wonderful thing and then again, it can be a monster.
I guess I am just getting old, but I fear for the harm it can be for kids........

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 am

I couldn't agree more Dave. Scary. And I think you hit the nail on the head....kids are simply exposed to things that much sooner now. Instead of Barbies and GiJoes, kids are asking for laptops and every other electronic gadget out there. I miss the old days when our tree had quantity under it, when we were buying things like trucks and Hotwheels tracks. Cloud 9 Now the boys get a couple of electronic gadgets and that's the extent of it! Yikes

And Melissa, I was probably playing Barbies until I was 12 or 13. ShyGirl HeeHee I loved my Barbies! Love
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 pm

I think 10/11 years old is much to young for parents to be buying them laptops and Ipads and even IPods. Parents should have one that the whole family uses.

I do agree with what your saying tho. In sunday school a kid asked his dad for a new ipod or soomething and the dad said he can't aford it.Kids don't know how much theses things coast and let know how to take care of them.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 am

At Amy, I even played Barbies with my nieces. Sometimes, by myself.

At Krissy, yeah it will be just electronics stuff, the kids want.

When I was 16 or 17 years old. I had computer. No internet. Just playing games, write notes, paint. then, when internet got famous. we had dial up. Took forever to upload. If, my mom had make a phone call. I had go offline, wait for her get off. So, I'll go do something else. Then, I'll used up all my free internet. I had wait until next month, for free internet. I couldn't wait any longer. So, my dad will take me to the library. So, I can go online. Then, we move. We got internet. Didn't get my laptop, few years later. I love it.

My niece wants clothes instead of barbies. scratchead I'm gonna ask her why, she doesn't play barbies anymore.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 am

We were more in a bubble back then (nicely so) a "Mr. Roger's" type of world but I think it was exposure. My friend and I played Barbie's at that age but in secret, we didn't talk about it with others but sex and all that, that was in Playboy magazines, some guys confiscated or in "adult" magazines or books. My goodness, now it's everywhere and much more exploited. They say by 20, some teens are bored with much of it, which is why they up the ante with drugs, drinking, etc. You see the blank, empty look at times in their eyes.

I love the computer but it's not natural or healthy to be tied to phones and Ipads instead of playing ball and running around outside.

I fear a generation that can't speak well unless typing, spoken communication is getting worse and worse.
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 8:58 am

All I have to say is that I'm so HAPPY I grew up at the time I did. The 70's were an awesome time to be a kid. I remember one of my best friends from high school was at my house a couple of years ago with her teenagers. She and I were talking about the 'old' days...and how we basically got away with murder because there were no cell phones (lol!). They started teasing us, calling us old, and how we were able to manage no internet, etc. I told them that I'm happy I'm "old," and that I wouldn't want to be their age right now for anything in the world. I told them I was so happy I grew up at the time I did. There was good music then. There was good television then. People actually TALKED to each other (not texted). We also managed quite well without a cell phone (now we are literally in panic mode if we leave the house without it).

I actually played with TOYS when I was a kid. I loved Barbies too! I also had the coolest dolls (Bionic Woman, Charlie's Angels, Donny & Marie, even a Cher doll!). I loved to play outside. I could eat junk food and have sodas and not worry about childhood obesity because I was constantly outside PLAYING. Video games (Atari esp.) did come later, and while I did like it...I was only on it for a little while...but still preferred to play outside. In fact, I had more fun actually going to the arcade than playing those games at home. Roller skating to disco music at the skating rink; talking on the phone...house phone...with my friends for hours while my mom is yelling "GET OFF THE PHONE! I NEED TO MAKE A PHONE CALL!" Parents actually disciplining me...not "keeping me busy" by putting a video game in my hand; so many things, so many good times.

Do I ever wish I can go back to being a kid again, even if for a little while? You bet. All the time. However, I would only want that to happen if I can go back to THAT time. I wouldn't want to be a kid or teen NOW... bikeride
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 am

Jules wrote:
They started teasing us, calling us old, and how we were able to manage no internet, etc.

And in 20 years, their kids will be teasing THEM for managing without things that THEY take for granted.

Then Jules wrote:
even a Cher doll!

Made from the same space-age polymers as the actual Cher. Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! 68167
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

Then Jules wrote:
even a Cher doll!

Rob wrote:
Made from the same space-age polymers as the actual Cher. Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! 68167

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL laugh3 laugh3 ROB!!! You are too much!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 am

I couldn't agree more with everything you said, Julie. yes I loved growing up in the 70's too. Thumbsup I loved our neighborhood and was always out exploring on my bike, or roller skating, or walking my dog. Otherwise I was playing with my Barbies or listening to records in my room. Love

But yeah, try going into any given neighborhood during the summertime now. You won't find very many kids playing outside anymore. Blue
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm glad i was born in the 80s and got to be a teen in the 90s.I think my generation is the last to have played with toys and what not.I grow up before cell phones,ipads,ipods.internet was popular.I must say im glad i wasn't a teen in this generation i don't think I'd enjoy it that much.

I grew up with good movies,t.v shows and music.When i was a teen i talked on a REAL phone for hours.Not typing on a cell phone... Smile

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I was happy growing up in the 80's & growing up in the 90's when I was teenager. I'll ride my bike, play on the playground, go over to my friends house. Play with my toys, pretend I was working. When, high school came around. I'll play on my computer. Before the internet. If, I have used the phone. Someone was on it. I had to wait.

Just gonna get worse every year.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I never had dail-up.I've always had cable Internet so i could go on when someone was on the phone! Smile I only got to use internet at school or my friends house in the 90s.But my friend had dail up and it was so slow.

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Yes, the dial up was so slow. When, I finally got on. my om was like, I had make a call. So, I'll be either reading, watching tv, playing video games. N64, listen to the radio or play games on the computer. I'm so glad, we got internet access. So, my mom can call anyone she wants. I can be online.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 pm

That's good/.Ya same here before i used to play this nsync game on the pc before i had internet. I miss that game lol

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Their was this one computer game. I used to played. Where you can make a skit. After your done. You can watch it. forgot the name of it. But, it was fun to do.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm

who wants to be a millionaire i used to play...was fun.

that's cool

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!   Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Kids Growing Up Too Fast These Days!!
Page 1 of 1