Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD

Go down 
+7
Kamberley
Debbie
Amy
bethandmanly
Honeybee
LIWnut
Savannah
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Cloud910

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Initial thoughts---I'm not liking this series. Too smutty for me. I watched via vpn and iTV. The links haven't been posted yet so I won't spoil it for you. Will chat later.

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 MarilynKeeper Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:28 pm

I was saying the same thing, Marilyn. Definitely getting edgier as time goes on.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54423
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am

*sigh* That's disappointing to hear. I haven't watched the episode yet - I didn't have the time. But one of the initial charms of Downton for me was the fact that overall it was a very clean show - outside of a couple of scenes. . .y'know. . .like Pamuk, for instance. Whistle . . .If the writers take things in a smutty or edgy direction, I'm easily done. Last season didn't really do much to hold my interest, so I don't feel like I "have to watch!" this current season.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 am

Yes, I can't believe the Pamuk incident wouldn't at least make her stop and think. Not liking the Mary/Gillingham storyline this season.

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Okay, I watched the episode....And I have to say that if I was the lady who had raised Marigold this long, and had bonded with her, and loved her as my own daughter, I'd feel EXACTLY the same way. I wouldn't want Edith within 100 feet of my little girl. (I mean really...just out of the blue, some local woman starts dropping by and cooing and hugging just one of your children while ignoring the rest? That WOULD be rather odd.) Mrs. Drewe obviously does love Marigold as her own daughter - and that kind of maternal, deep love CAN be felt for a child that you didn't birth. Now...because *I* know why Edith cares so much, I can see it from her side, too. Obviously she wants to be near her daughter. But really I feel sorry for Marigold. She has a happy, stable, loving home and knows this couple as her parents. (They've even given her a godmother. You don't give a godmother to a child you don't consider your own.) She isn't just a few weeks old - she's old enough to know the people around her, to love them, and to have formed a deep bond. As much as I would like Edith to be happy, I wish that the writers hadn't dragged this on for so long, so that now the only way for Edith to have her daughter is to devastate another woman - and the kids in the family, too, and to rip Marigold from the only family she's ever known. I don't like it - and yes it IS because it hits too close to home with having seen kids go through that very thing.

I'm also a little bit over the whole drama with Baxter refusing to tell why she stole. For pity sake! Just be out with it already. (Obviously I'm not entertained by dragging things on and on.)

Now...Mary and Gillingham...She's supposed to be on a sketching trip with her lady friend...Well, that's just about the flimsiest cover story. Good grief - this lady's servants know that she's home. Her friends know, her neighbors know, her family knows - so eventually it will get back to *someone* at Downton that this lady was NOT out of town with Mary. *rolls eyes*

The police stopping at Downton...Hmm...They could have simply asked Lord Gillingham about that. Really there are only a couple of reasons that they'd stop at Downton to verify Green having been there. One is obviously that the witness indicated that Bates had been involved. The other possibility that comes to mind is that Gillingham is a suspect, and they're checking up on the story that he gave them when they spoke to him about his valet. This could prove interesting. I just hope that they don't take Bates down that whole murder-suspect-and-trial road again. It's someone else's turn to be the suspect. yes
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 7:49 pm

So...are we liking the 5th series? I can't say that I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. They spend too much time on topics that don't interest me and not enough time on the stories that do. I couldn't care less who Mary ends up with and I'm not impressed on her actions to get to that place, so far. I'm dying to know what will happen with Edith and Marigold, Bates and Anna and Baxter and Molesley but these stories are second fiddle to pre-marital sex and flirting with a married woman.
Hopefully it will get better for me. What do the rest of you think?

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 MarilynKeeper Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:21 pm

I haven't had time to post here much about this season, but honestly I think it's SO much better than last season...like, by a thousand fold!  It's FAR more interesting and I find myself getting excited all week for the next one, and I have not felt that way in a long time about this show!  Well, at least all throughout season 4.  

This whole Mary thing going to bed with Tony (ugh---he's a rat), is part of a much bigger picture.  I think it's a stretch for us to believe that she would need to 'experiment' in order to be sure she wants to marry him (Really????---I get that she's an experienced woman now but this is kind of ridiculous), BUT, there is more to it than that, at least on Tony's part.  Let's not forget, this was his idea and what 'gentleman' comes up with a plan like this?  There is some belief that, considering his fortune is gone, he is TRYING to get her pregnant and stake his claim with her family.  I was with you Marilyn, in the beginning I really couldn't care who Mary ended up with, but now it's become kind of interesting.  At first I really liked Tony, but now I'm seeing what is so endearing about Blake.  He hasn't flaunted his wealth, and he hasn't 'outed' Tony to Mary even though he believes Tony is a cad. He is allowing Mary to learn that on her own.  Hopefully before it's too late though.  So, in my opinion, this storyline is picking up speed.

Then there's Tony and the whole Greene thing.....there's also speculation that he had his reasons for wanting him dead...perhaps Greene had something, some kind of blackmail hanging over his head. And Bates KNOWS something....he either saw Tony kill Greene or he knows about it, but he was clearly smug with Tony in that room, (as he was performing his valet duties), and Tony was clearly uncomfortable.  So yeah...things are going to get juicy there soon too.  I'm just worried about Thomas...I have to guess that all this with Anna is going to come out and the 'motive' for Bates will be revealed.  And I'm scared to death that Anna's reputation will be ruined.  I can't bear for anything more terrible to happen to her.

For the first time, I actually found Cora endearing in this latest episode, with the art expert.  Yes, she was 'out' with him, but in her eyes it was innocent and she clearly had no intention of 'being' with him...she was obviously thrilled that Robert had come to surprise her and was hurt at his accusations. I understand why he was upset, but I couldn't help but ache for her as he belittled her opinions so, after she'd been so uplifted by the other man.  Anyway...I really liked that scene.

Lisa, you asked about Rose.  Umm, she can take a flying leap whenever---I've never liked her (as a character or the actress who plays her---she's not up to par with the other actresses in my opinion), but I THINK they had come to an agreement that she was going to live with them, for good, not just visit...the mother had agreed to this, I thought.  So yeah, she has 'replaced' Sybil....pretty poor replacement if you ask me. Yikes  I STILL miss Sybil. Blue

Ugh, Sarah Bunting....rude, brash....she is not just 'opinionated.  I could accept that.  But she has been rude to Lord Grantham in his own house, as his guest, and it ticks me off that both Isobel and Tom defend her so.  NO, there is no defense for poor behavior.

Lisa, I couldn't agree with you more about Marigold and Edith...what on EARTH??? this is the strangest arrangement ever!  Did she and the husband/father really think they could just keep doing this indefinitely??  I mean, DAILY???  How about she get to see her for a quick visit once a week?  Better yet, once a month?  But NO woman would be able to deal with this kind of interference.  What I don't understand is how the mother hasn't pieced it together yet? scratchead  I mean, this woman wants to 'finance' one of your children (your ADOPTED child) and wants to see her all the time?  And COMPLETELY ignores all your other children?? And that doesn't tell you anything?  Umm, no.

As always, Violet and Isobel are the comic duo geniuses...I love them both together.  Maggie Smith looks a little more frail, and her voice is quieter.  I wonder if there's something going on with her---it has me a bit concerned.

Oh, wow...Baxter is REALLY a good actress!!  I am so glad that this is all coming to light FINALLY after it being dragged out all through season 4.  And once again, Cora endeared herself to me by letting her stay.  I really like Baxter, and I like Mosely with her too.  

So cute, how they're veeeeeeery gradually moving along with Carson and Mrs. Hughes.  They have the cutest, funniest, slowest relationship!  Too adorable.

Daisy is another one I wish would just move on to Mr. Mason's farm and leave Downton.  I've had enough.  Bring someone else into the kitchen for Mrs. Pattmore to train already, someone who isn't so annoying!! Yikes

Did I touch on everything?  Yes, I think that pretty much does it. HeeHee   If not, I'll be back. greenS

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:44 am

Amy wrote:

This whole Mary thing going to bed with Tony (ugh---he's a rat), is part of a much bigger picture.  I think it's a stretch for us to believe that she would need to 'experiment' in order to be sure she wants to marry him (Really????---I get that she's an experienced woman now but this is kind of ridiculous), BUT, there is more to it than that, at least on Tony's part.  Let's not forget, this was his idea and what 'gentleman' comes up with a plan like this?  There is some belief that, considering his fortune is gone, he is TRYING to get her pregnant and stake his claim with her family.  I was with you Marilyn, in the beginning I really couldn't care who Mary ended up with, but now it's become kind of interesting.  At first I really liked Tony, but now I'm seeing what is so endearing about Blake.  He hasn't flaunted his wealth, and he hasn't 'outed' Tony to Mary even though he believes Tony is a cad. He is allowing Mary to learn that on her own.  Hopefully before it's too late though.  So, in my opinion, this storyline is picking up speed.

thud I hadn't even remembered Tony's fortune being gone. I was wondering WHY there'd been such a change in him when he was *supposed* to be a gentleman. Excellent point. And yep - I'm right there with you on having really like him at first. Now, though, I'm pretty disappointed with him. (Obviously.) It looks like Mary is having second thoughts about him already, though. Otherwise she would have been willing to set a date for the wedding instead of saying that there's no rush.

Amy wrote:
For the first time, I actually found Cora endearing in this latest episode, with the art expert.  Yes, she was 'out' with him, but in her eyes it was innocent and she clearly had no intention of 'being' with him...she was obviously thrilled that Robert had come to surprise her and was hurt at his accusations. I understand why he was upset, but I couldn't help but ache for her as he belittled her opinions so, after she'd been so uplifted by the other man.  Anyway...I really liked that scene.

YES!!! I meant to comment on that and I forgot to. Cora was SO happy to see Robert - it was obvious that her joy at seeing him wasn't fake. And I was hurting for her when he so bluntly dismissed her opinions as being basically worthless when another man had found her opinion to be intriguing and of great value. I understand why Robert was upset (and jealous), but I wanted him to GO AFTER HER. Hmph. Men. mad HeeHee

Amy wrote:
Ugh, Sarah Bunting....rude, brash....she is not just 'opinionated.  I could accept that.  But she has been rude to Lord Grantham in his own house, as his guest, and it ticks me off that both Isobel and Tom defend her so.  NO, there is no defense for poor behavior.

That's it EXACTLY. She's being disrespectful when she's a guest. She's entitled to her opinion, but that doesn't give her the right to behave rudely toward someone in their own home. OR to treat the other guests with such disrespect, either. To treat the Russians in such a manner that they felt that they had to LEAVE was completely uncalled for. She is offically my least-favorite character - and that's saying a lot when I seriously dislike Cora's mother. HeeHee

And yes, I noticed, too, that Violet seems a little more frail this season. I hope that nothing major is going on with her.

Annnnnnnd, yes. As cute and charming as Daisy was in the first season, she has just REALLY grown annoying. She basically never does anything but complain. Either give the girl some better lines or give US a break and move her on. Sheesh.

Carson and Mrs. Hughes have such a sweet friendship/relationship. I love to see how it's progressing. And THIS I don't mind being drawn out slowly, because it's very believable. It's quietly growing, almost without the two of them even realizing that it's happening. I love it. Love

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am

Well, hopefully we are done with Miss Bunting after her behavior in yesterday's episode. She may still tutor Daisy, but I don't think we will see her at anymore dinners. If this is the last season of Downton, I predict she and Tom will be heading to America.

Tony sure didn't take Mary's news very well. I see trouble in Mary's future.

It will be interesting to see how this whole Green thing turns out. Now they are looking at Anna?

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm enjoying most of this season. I'm glad they are once again focusing on the more sympathetic side of Thomas's character instead of having him be all evil and mean.

I agree with you, Lori: looks like Miss Bunting has worn out what little welcome she had at Downton. And based upon next week's previews, looks like Tom is setting her straight a bit too.

Lisa, I am okay with the Daisy storyline for now. It seems after this week that she is truly working toward leaving Downton, so perhaps by the end of this season she'll be on the farm with Mr. Mason.

How does Edith not realize the damage she is doing to poor Marigold with all these visits? I'm glad Mr. Drew's wife is putting her foot down.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm not sure that Marigold is suffering as a result of Edith's visits. It would be the same as a babysitter today. She doesn't take her to the Abbey, just stays around the cottages. I think the ones suffering as the mothers. I hope she spills the beans and claims her daughter. They need to be together.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am

My concern is how Edith dotes on Marigold and ignores the other children. And to some degree it must seem odd to his wife that Mr. Drew is okay with Edith spending so much time with Marigold and trying to give her a better life when the rest of the kids are his natural born children. It must cause some animosity toward Marigold by the other kids and perhaps Drew's wife.

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Dame Maggie meets Her Majesty

Our Dowager Countess was given the Campion Honour by Queen Elizabeth today.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 am

Whoops, that link didn't work.  I'll see if I can find it.  

Lisa & I were saying last night (after we've both watched the latest episode online yesterday) that we were both on the edge of our seat with this one, and how long it's been since either of us felt this way about this show!  It's like they've re-awakened something.  Or Julian did, or whatever.  But that 'feeling' is back for me for this show and I quite honestly did NOT see that happening!!  Re-cap:

Oh Edith.  Oh my gosh...I feel TERRIBLE for Mrs. Drew!!  She's going to lose Marigold!!  How UNFAIR!!  And their marriage is going to go caput too...she will resent her husband till her dying day.  Poor woman.  I'd be as royally ticked  off about Edith's ridiculous visits too!!  There was a way of doing this more gracefully as to avoid Mrs. Drew's suspicions and jealousy.  Good grief....my question is, how could she NOT have figured it out yet?!  I mean, it's pretty obvious.  Who just fawns over an ordinary adopted little girl like this?!  Come ON.  Glad they're FINALLY advancing this plot line though.  And yes Cheryl, part of being 'graceful' about all this would have been Edith making SOME kind of effort to bond with the woman's OTHER children too.  What must they think???  I feel just awful for them (about to lose their sister) AND the parents. Blue  I of course have been sympathetic to Edith for MANY things over the seasons and all she has gone through, but in this case, my sympathy is for the adopted parents.  I can't really muster anything for her now. She gave her up, she did not out herself to her family, and these are the consequences.  May be harsh, but she isn't doing Marigold (oh how I hate that name) any favors by remaining in her life and confusing her.  I really didn't understand the aunt's reasoning for pushing it either, saying "Mrs. Drew is going to explode."  How about reason with your NIECE how Mrs. Drew has every RIGHT to be upset and it's time to withdraw from this child's life?  How can they (or Violet??) justify removing Marigold from her current family????  Ugh.

In more uplifting news....

Ding Dong, the witch is GONE!!  Woooooo hooooooo!!!!stars wootwoot happydance Bliss jumphappy   BEYOND thrilled to see her go, can you all tell?batEyes   So glad to see Tom feeling 'fine' about it too; like thanks for helping me to grow as a person, Sarah....now, be gone with you! Toodles LOL!  Just hope to goodness she doesn't REAPPEAR at some point.  Historically though Julian brings these women in to create a stir in his audience and then makes their final exit.  I REALLY hope this is the case this time too. I couldn't take any more of her!

Daisy---I'm ready to ring her NECK!!  To step out of line like that and implore Tom to go after Sarah????  And to tell him he's not part of that family, not a Crawley???  Who on EARTH does she think she is?????????? mad    Just go away Daisy.  We've all had just about all we can take of you now.  Well, at least I have. Yikes  Daisy, this is just for you:

BatHit

At least they're making Mrs. Pattmore MORE bearable. I used to get annoyed with her too, but it seems like they've tried to really tone her down this season.  I like the direction they're taking her, and that was cute, how she and Mrs. Hughes 'appeased' Carson a little in the end...they knew what was what, but stroked his ego a bit as to not insult him.  Too cute.  And oh my gosh, how funny was this line:  "If only men gave a quarter as much thought to our feelings as we do to theirs."  ROTFL!!!!! Ain't THAT the truth?!?! Laughing

Wow, well wasn't THAT quite the scene in Cora & Robert's bedroom?!  Whoa!!OhMy   Gee, we certainly saw that punch coming, didn't we? LOL.  POOR Cora, caught in the middle of this and truly wanting to get the art dealer out of her bedroom!!  Yes, he might be right---there may have been feelings awakened in her but they weren't FOR him. She was simply enlightened by him and happy to be on the receiving end of his appreciation.  He made that into some kind of romance but she was not going there.  And clearly he could see he wasn't going to 'talk her into anything' so should have just given up and LEFT the room.Yikes  I thought the acting in that scene was great by all.  Should be interesting when Cora and Robert have the 'big talk'.  I thought the filming in the end was neat, showing their dischord and then narrowing in on the faces of the family witnessing this.

Hmm, what else?  Oh, Anna!  The previews for next week have me worried about her and Bates and their marriage!   And wow....I wish they'd spell it out about Thomas and what he's doing.  I think they've left a little too much up to interpretation here. I  want to know exactly what's he's been injecting himself with (or how he thinks he's helping himself).  I have an idea, but still---I guess I need this spelled out!  Hopefully next episode.

I have to say I'm finding Rose a WEE bit more endearing this season.  However unbelievable it is to me for the time period, her colorblindness and now being blind to the fact that this guy is Jewish---it certainly is clear to see that she is a good person. I just don't like that they've literally 'replaced' Sybil with someone who has the exact same characteristics she had---new age, rebellious. Would that REALLY happen??? Whistle   I still don't find myself 'caring' about her or her life, lol....like Daisy, I could see her go in a heartbeat and be totally fine with it.  Last episode, when Shrimpy was saying that he was thinking it was best for her to stay, I was like, "Noooo! Take her with you!  Take her with you!!" laugh3  Poor Rose. HeeHee

Guess I've had my say! grinsmiley  Can't wait to hear what you all thought!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 8:08 am

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am

This was probably the best episode so far this season. It was so nice to see Tom say goodbye to Sarah. She looked like she couldn't believe he would choose the family over her. I do hope we see an end to the "who killed Mr. Green" storyline soon. We really haven't seen much of Bates this season. Just a line or two spoken to Anna. I have an idea, too, Amy, about what Thomas is up to. We will probably be finding out soon since it doesn't look like he will be able to remain on his feet much longer. The "solution" for Marigold seems ridiculous. It seems like it would be better for everyone for her to remain where she is. She is clearly in a loving home, and Edith could at least catch a glimpse of her every so often. Plus if Edith would just stay away for a long time, she could then apologize to Mrs. Drew, saying she bored or something until she started visiting Marigold but now she knows how intrusive she had been. Then maybe they could start again with a once a month planned visit.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 am

Lori wrote:
This was probably the best episode so far this season.  It was so nice to see Tom say goodbye to Sarah.  She looked like she couldn't believe he would choose the family over her.

And that seemed so dumb to me!  Just the episode before, he told her that she's forgetting that HE loves them!!!  Then she went on to make a scene at the table immediately following that conversation!!  I think that was his answer.  Then at the 'goodbye' scene she ignorantly said, "Don't you despise them too?"  What the heck?  Was she NOT listening?? Yikes  Ugh, I SO can't stand her.

Lori wrote:
I do hope we see an end to the "who killed Mr. Green" storyline soon.  We really haven't seen much of Bates this season.  Just a line or two spoken to Anna.

I was just thinking that yesterday Lori.  I wonder if Brendan Coyle is making a movie or something?  He is barely seen or heard from at all this season so far!!  I miss him.

Lori wrote:
The "solution" for Marigold seems ridiculous.  It seems like it would be better for everyone for her to remain where she is.  She is clearly in a loving home, and Edith could at least catch a glimpse of her every so often.  Plus if Edith would just stay away for a long time, she could then apologize to Mrs. Drew, saying she bored or something until she started visiting Marigold but now she knows how intrusive she had been.  Then maybe they could start again with a once a month planned visit.

Exactly.  From the get-go, things should have been set up very differently, as to avoid all this.  The husband was pretty clueless---HE knows his wife and that she would never have tolerated this intrusion into her life.  What wife/mother would?  But he should have been sensitive to his wife's feelings and clearly 'chose' Edith's well being over hers, and his own daughter's.  He could have suggested, when things started becoming tense, that Edith come by less often, make less of a presence of herself, IF she wanted to continue seeing Marigold...to actually make it an ultimatum.  But Edith has been so dense, not being intuned to Mrs. Drew's feelings whatsoever, just as a 'woman to woman' type thing.  Asking herself "Would I want this if I was Marigold's adoptive mother?"  Edith has acted SO ridiculously selfishly throughout all this.  Very disappointing.  It's not like she's a self-absorbed teenager or young 20 something.  She's in her late 20's early 30's if I'm figuring correctly?  She should be older and wise enough to at least TRY to see someone else's side in things.  THAT is what is disappointing about the dowager and aunt---THEY should be talking some sense into her, not leading her down this path, which is unfair to everyone else involved, mainly Marigold. ARGH!!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Amy! Laughing I was going to write out my opinion of last night's episode, but I swear I could just copy-and-paste yours! I couldn't BELIEVE that Daisy was encouraging Tom to go after Sarah. I wanted to shove Daisy back through the door and tell her to keep it to herself! Laughing I was thinking, "No!!! We've wanted her to be GONE since she got here!! Don't mess this up!!" SHE'S GONE!!! WOOOOOOOO! I hope she STAYS away. She was just unbearable to me. She had no reason to dislike the Crawley family, except for the fact that they had money. They had never hurt her or anyone she loved, and they welcomed her into their home and treated her with courtesy. Yet she hated them because they were rich. She's just as much a snob as she thinks they are.

And where Edith is concerned, seriously, I'm getting tired of her first name being "Poor". COME ON!! Give her a life! And NOT somebody else's. I can't agree more - Edith MADE her choice, and now she's going to make someone else pay for what she feels may have been a mistake. Her grandmother and aunt should be encouraging her to let Marigold (I HATE that name) be brought up in the *loving* family she's in, rather than to be sent of to some lonely boarding school where she won't have the love and nurturing that she's receiving. WHAT are they THINKING?? Marigold is loved and *accepted* where she is. If it was an abusive situation it would be different - but the fact is, she's happy, healthy, deeply love, fully accepted, and is well-provided for. Edith's motives are understandable, but they're also self-centered. She's only thinking of what will make HER happy, not what is best for Marigold. My sympathies are with Mrs. Drew, and I despise the fact that there's a conspiracy to take the child who is so precious to the Drew family, and ship her off to France where she will have NOBODY. (And how often will Edith see her then??? HOW is that better? Nope. I hate it. Selfish, selfish, selfish.) It would be FAR better if Edith would send a note to the Drews, apologizing, and saying that she realized that she's become a nuisance, and that she hadn't meant to be...Then leave things be for a while, and try to build a friendship with the whole FAMILY, rather than just doting on one member. If she would do that, she could become an "aunt" to Marigold, and have a relationship with her throughout the years. It may not be what she wants, but we don't always get what we want in life.

It was so nice to see Mr. Bates - I've missed him, too. (And his voice. He has such a nice voice.) I love seeing him and Anna together. They have such great chemistry! But yikes, it sure LOOKS like there's trouble ahead for Anna. I hope not. She's been through enough.

And YES - I wish they'd just spell it out with Thomas. It's too vague for me to know for SURE what's going on - but he looks AWFUL.

Now...Rose...actually...She has endeared herself to me to some degree in working with the refugees. It rather surprised me. (Both that I didn't completely dislike her anymore, AND that she was doing volunteer work. HeeHee ) She still isn't my favorite character, but I like it that they're expanding her beyond just empty-headed fluff. I certainly can't accept her as a "Sybil replacement" - but she's growing on me as her character changes.

Oh, and Isobel...I'm having fun watching Violet try to maneuver things to her liking - and it just isn't quite working out the way she expects it to. HeeHee

Cora and Robert...WHOA. Well, THAT was a dramatic scene. I rather doubt that there will be any further invitations extended to a certain art expert. HeeHee

Okay, that's all I have time for right now. I have to get ready for work. But I must say, THAT was an excellent episode. I talked to Amy about it a *little* bit, late last night...but I told her that it was so good that I'd better not talk much or I'd be up half the night! Laughing There was a LOT to say!

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Thomas is taking drugs because he believes that he can change his sexual preference. There were doctors back in the 1920's who prescribed these drugs. Being homosexual was illegal and Thomas is trying to change himself so that he can be happy in love.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 pm

I had a feeling that was it Marilyn. The 'choose your own path' article led me to believe as much. But I couldn't be absolutely certain. He is such a tough one---he really is such a sympathetic character and of course he 'acts out' because of his myriad issues, lol, but I would so love to see him turn a new leaf and 'be good' from here on out. I'd rather find someone else to dislike now. HeeHee But somehow I have to guess he'll be at a crossroads soon with whether to cause trouble for Anna & Bates or not. Anna has tried to befriend him several times over the years....maybe all of that 'trying' will finally pay off. We'll see.

Lisa, I won't even start to reply to your comment yet for fear of never getting to bed! Laughing It's after midnight and I DO have to work tomorrow! Yikes

Nothing like wishing my week away---I can't wait for the next episode!! LOL!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Amy wrote:
Lori wrote:
The "solution" for Marigold seems ridiculous.  It seems like it would be better for everyone for her to remain where she is.  She is clearly in a loving home, and Edith could at least catch a glimpse of her every so often.  Plus if Edith would just stay away for a long time, she could then apologize to Mrs. Drew, saying she bored or something until she started visiting Marigold but now she knows how intrusive she had been.  Then maybe they could start again with a once a month planned visit.

Exactly.  From the get-go, things should have been set up very differently, as to avoid all this.  The husband was pretty clueless---HE knows his wife and that she would never have tolerated this intrusion into her life.

I kind of feel like the husband is trying to appease Edith because Lord Grantham let him farm his father's land when Tom & Mary wanted to take it. Robert secretly gave him money so that he could stay on the farm. I don't think he's totally clueless as much as he wants to help the family that helped him.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 11:24 am

I think that he also genuinely feels sympathetic toward Edith...But honestly, they couldn't have picked a much worse way to include Edith into Marigold's life. Edith was basically a complete stranger, and then just started coming every. Single. Day. And focused all of her attention on just one member of the family to the exclusion of everyone else. Now, tell me that ANY of us would enjoy having a total stranger suddenly start to come over every single day out of the clear blue, with no real explanation, and fawn over one member of the household every time they came. It's disruptive to a family's schedule, to say the least - especially at that time when the modern conveniences weren't available, and laundry ALONE could take an entire day. Then factor in the meals, the cleaning, teaching the children (not schooling - but the things that parents teach children on a daily basis). . .Yeah...they picked a LOUSY way to introduce her into Marigold's life.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:30 pm

How old was Marigold supposed to be when she came to the Drewe's? How long was it before Edith wanted to take interest and visit the child? I think JF is skipping quite a few months in this story. If the baby had come to Downton at 6 or 8 months of age, wouldn't Edith be visiting sooner than now? I think that she would have been there visiting for over a year by this point. That was the whole reason for bringing her back to England in the first place.

Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 7:27 pm

I have been watching every episode!! I won't share many of my thoughts for they are to similar to all of your thoughts on the show so far. I really like Tom he is one of my favorite characters! I was hoping Tom and Lady Mary would become an item but thats very unlikely and maybe a little awkward!

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Jacobk10Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 8:48 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I kind of feel like the husband is trying to appease Edith because Lord Grantham let him farm his father's land when Tom & Mary wanted to take it. Robert secretly gave him money so that he could stay on the farm. I don't think he's totally clueless as much as he wants to help the family that helped him.

That makes sense Cheryl and I agree that's where his head was at in starting this whole thing. In my mind, he should have seen sooner what it was doing to his wife, having her there all the time, and should have been more sympathetic to her, rather than angry with her all the time. He's so apparently stuck in the mode of having to 'pay' the family back that he is blind to his wife's feelings in this, I guess.

Lisa wrote:
I think that he also genuinely feels sympathetic toward Edith...But honestly, they couldn't have picked a much worse way to include Edith into Marigold's life. Edith was basically a complete stranger, and then just started coming every. Single. Day. And focused all of her attention on just one member of the family to the exclusion of everyone else. Now, tell me that ANY of us would enjoy having a total stranger suddenly start to come over every single day out of the clear blue, with no real explanation, and fawn over one member of the household every time they came. It's disruptive to a family's schedule, to say the least - especially at that time when the modern conveniences weren't available, and laundry ALONE could take an entire day. Then factor in the meals, the cleaning, teaching the children (not schooling - but the things that parents teach children on a daily basis). . .Yeah...they picked a LOUSY way to introduce her into Marigold's life.

Yep, point well taken. I can't imagine having to deal with this if I were Mrs. Drew! Yikes

LIWnut wrote:
How old was Marigold supposed to be when she came to the Drewe's?  How long was it before Edith wanted to take interest and visit the child?  I think JF is skipping quite a few months in this story.  If the baby had come to Downton at 6 or 8 months of age, wouldn't Edith be visiting sooner than now?  I think that she would have been there visiting for over a year by this point.  That was the whole reason for bringing her back to England in the first place.

There is definitely a time discrepancy here, Marilyn, I agree...I've seen that for awhile too but this wouldn't be a first with downton abbey, lol.

JW wrote:
I have been watching every episode!! I won't share many of my thoughts for they are to similar to all of your thoughts on the show so far. I really like Tom he is one of my favorite characters! I was hoping Tom and Lady Mary would become an item but thats very unlikely and maybe a little awkward!

No worries here Jacob---feel free to share, even if you're repetitive! Wink Ok I'll admit it...I kind of wanted that too. Whistle I know it would have been awkward and maybe even a tad wrong, ahem, but I think there may have been a way of making it somewhat acceptable. Personally I feel like she has more chemistry with Tom than she does Blake or Tony! HeeHee But yeah, I think IF JF would have taken them in that direction, it may have been a bit too soap opera-ish.

Glad you're enjoy the show so much Jacob! Thumbsup

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD   Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey SPOILER THREAD
Page 9 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next