Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bonnie Franklin has Died

Go down 
+3
Davetucson
Rhonda
julmer70
7 posters
AuthorMessage
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Happy010

Bonnie Franklin has Died  Empty
PostSubject: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 pm

I just read the awful news regarding Bonnie Franklin. I used to love the show "One Day at a Time" as a kid. She just did quite a few episodes of "The Young and the Restless" a few months back and she was great in it. How sad. May she rest in peace. RIP
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21161
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Awww, I was hoping she would beat the cancer she was fighting....so sad.... Blue

Bonnie Franklin has Died  AP114020222965_600x450

Bonnie Franklin has Died  Rhonda10Bonnie Franklin has Died  Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 pm

TV just lost one of its first modern mothers.

Before Bonnie Franklin — who died Friday at the age of 69 of pancreatic cancer — and her hit Norman Lear sitcom One Day at a Time arrived on the scene, most television mothers were either stay-at-home wives or working widows. But Franklin's Ann Romano was something new: a divorced mother of two raising two teenage daughters in a small urban apartment while struggling to relaunch her career and her love life.

In a TV universe just beginning to take note of the real-world social changes happening beyond its screen, the sunny but sometimes hot-tempered Ann and the short, spunky redhead who played her were a breath of fresh (if sometimes hot) air. For nine CBS seasons, from 1975 to 1984, Franklin guided audiences through some of the hot-button issues of the day — premarital sex, sexual harassment, child abandonment — in a show that mixed comedy and soap in equal measure.

Franklin didn't get to sing much on One Day at a Time; a shame, as she garnered a Tony nomination for Applause, a musical adaptation of All About Eve. But she did get to provide parental guidance to two of TV's most fondly remembered teens, bad girl Julie (Mackenzie Phillips) and good-girl Barbara (Valerie Bertinelli), sometimes with the unrequested help of the building's super (Pat Harrington Jr.).

Though Day is what's she's best known for, it was far from Franklin's debut. She had a recurring role in Gidget while she was still a college student, and guest roles in such '60s series as The Munsters, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Please Don't Eat the Daisies. But it was that Tony nomination in New York that really brought her to Hollywood's attention, and her role in Day that made her a TV star and Emmy-nominee.

Like many of the topical sitcoms of the '70s, Day has not aged well. What was novel then is now either familiar or forgotten. In truth, in some quarters, it's only still discussed because of the real-world troubles that caused Phillips to be written out of the show twice.

Still, the thought of Franklin shaking her red bob, scrunching her eyes, pursing her lips, or shouting out "Julie!" can still bring a smile to people who grew up with her and Bertinelli — who gave Franklin one of her last roles, in a guest shot in Hot in Cleveland.

She made our TV days better, and for that, she'll always be remembered.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Dave! She was a wonderful actress. Goodpost
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Here's a short scene of Ms. Franklin when she was on Y&R this summer.

https://youtu.be/f2dassX0uQE
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Celebrities With Pancreatic Cancer
Steve Jobs: Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer in 2004. He suffered from pancreatic endocrine cancer, which affects about 2,500 Americans each year. Jobs died in October 2011 after battling the disease for eight years.

Patrick Swayze: Diagnosed in 2008, actor Patrick Swayze battled pancreatic cancer with an experimental drug. He continued to work throughout treatment, a testament to his strength during his battle. Swayze died in September 2009. Read more about Patrick Swayze's cancer diagnosis.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: In 2009, the Supreme Court Justice underwent surgery to treat pancreatic cancer. It was detected during an annual health exam and was in the very early stages of the disease. People with early stage pancreatic cancer generally have better outcomes than those diagnosed in later stages. Ginsburg continues to serve as a Supreme Court Justice.

Joan Crawford: Oscar-winning actress and screen legend Joan Crawford died of a heart attack while battling pancreatic cancer in 1971.

Michael Landon: Actor Michael Landon's pancreatic cancer was diagnosed in the late stages and had already spread to his liver. Despite intensive treatment, Landon succumbed to the disease in April 1991.

Fred Gwynne: Best known for his role on the television series The Munsters, Fred Gwynne died of pancreatic cancer in July 1993.

Luciano Pavarotti: In July 2006, opera singer Luciano Pavarotti underwent surgery to treat a malignant pancreatic mass, forcing him to cancel his farewell tour. A little over a year later in September 2007, Pavarotti died of the disease.

Jack Benny: Comedian Jack Benny began experiencing symptoms in October 1974, which eventually led to a pancreatic cancer diagnosis. The actor died just weeks later in December at age 80.

Rex Harrison: It is reported that actor Rex Harrison was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 1989. Little is known about his diagnosis, such as the stage and treatment. He died in 1990.

Donna Reed: Actress Donna Reed died of pancreatic cancer just three months after being diagnosed in October 1986. She was 64.

Henry Mancini: Musical composer Henry Mancini died of pancreatic cancer in June 1994.
Count Basie: Jazz pianist and composer Count Basie died of pancreatic cancer in April 1984. He was 79

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I was sadden to hear this. Such a tough form of cancer to beat. She will be missed.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

That's very sad.R.I.P Blue

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Such a shame. No As Cheryl said this is such a tough form of cancer to beat. I hope she didn't suffer for too long. No

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Bonnie Franklin has Died  Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Aww that was my girl! So sad. I love One Day at a Time!

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie Franklin has Died    Bonnie Franklin has Died  Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonnie Franklin has Died
Page 1 of 1