Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I was in De Smet

Go down 
+6
Amy
Teresa
Lori
bethandmanly
Rhonda
JW
10 posters
AuthorMessage
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : I was in De Smet  Happy011

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Hello everyone I just got back from De Smet was kind of a last min thing, I took my parents with they really wanted to go I don't have many pictures Since we took the tour and there was always someone in the way seemed like lol and you can't take pictures inside the buildings, I won't go into much detail since i think Prairie Dweller and few other members gave a Great Report on how everything is there, I did feel that i had liked Walnut Grove better though, The tour cost $10 per person which is not bad but it was well payed for, for Die hard fans the information the tour guide shares can get long winded Laughing But all and all it was good would like to go again someday, I didn't go to the Homestead or Cemetery cause my parents were tired and My mom is a Diabetic and she forgot her insulin at home so didn't wanna stay away to long, I bought two books in the gift shop One is The Ingalls Family of De Smet and the other one is The Iowa Years both very good books starting to regret i didn't buy couple of other ones but i can always order online Smile If you have any Questions Feel free to ask

Thats the Home Pa Built
I was in De Smet  Img_5010

I was in De Smet  Jacobk10I was in De Smet  Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21163
Mood : I was in De Smet  Purple2

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 pm

COOL Jacob!  Last minute trips are always fun, glad your parents went too! Thumbsup 

I was in De Smet  Rhonda10I was in De Smet  Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : I was in De Smet  Bokmal10

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:06 am

So nice you took the trip. I haven't been to any of the sites yet, but I would love to go one day.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 am

I'm glad you got to go, Jacob.

I was in De Smet  Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : I was in De Smet  Happy010

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:46 pm

That's awesome, Jacob!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I was in De Smet  TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : I was in De Smet  Love-s10

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Wow, what a great last minute trip, Jacob!  Bummer that you had to cut it a little short due to your mom---of all days to be forget her insulin!Blue  LOL, I know what you mean about long-winded docents (tour guides)...they get like that at Greenfield Village when we go too.Whistle  And it's like, you know it would be rude to just walk away as they're speaking, but do they not realize that you don't want to spend all your time in one spot??Yikes 

Nice that you got a couple of book souvenirs too!Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Muriel88
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Muriel88

Number of posts : 75

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 pm

That's a great photo of the house on 3rd Street. There is so much to see and do in De Smet, isn't there? It's a shame you didn't get to the homestead or cemetery - but it's something to look forward to for another time, right?

The LIWMS bookshop is well stocked. I've purchased a few good titles from there, too.

I'm envious that you were able to share the experience with your parents. I would love to take my mother one day, but her health is too bad to allow any travel.
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : I was in De Smet  Indiff10

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I went there twice.  Once for the actual tour and the second time I just went to the gift shop as I passed through the town.  Personally, I think this place has the best gift shop out of all the LH sites (I just love what I call "vacation gift shops", anyway - they always have the best stuff).

I don't care what anybody says, that place is haunted.  There is some sort of odd feeling in that house.  I read that the house on the Ingalls Homestead was haunted but, no, this is the place.  yes  Anyway, I didn't have any real reason to tell this to any of you.  I'm just saying.....Smile 

That is too bad, though, that you couldn't make it to the Ingalls Homestead and especially the cemetery.  Well, there may always be another time.  Smile 

Long-winded docents!  Don't even get me started on the one at the house for "A Christmas Story" in Cleveland!!  Ranting  I think that one deserves the prize for never shutting up! banghead It really was bad. It really was.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Carpenters4ever
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
Carpenters4ever

Number of posts : 1114

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for sharing, Jacob!

photo MaggieKeeper_zps05cb0b4a.gif
Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : I was in De Smet  Mornincoffee

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 8:31 pm

good you did take your parents. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I was in De Smet  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was in De Smet    I was in De Smet  Empty

Back to top Go down

I was in De Smet
Page 1 of 1