Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Touching Story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Touching Story Bokmal10

Touching Story Empty
PostSubject: Touching Story   Touching Story EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 am

In today's world of millionaire athletes and movie stars, once and a while something happens that renews my faith in humanity itself.....thought I would share this with you all. If you want to feel good, read this article and watch the videos. I'll be a Matt Kemp fan for life.........

ST. LOUIS -- As the Los Angeles Dodgers got ready to board their team bus Thursday night and head home after an eight-game road trip, Matt Kemp sat quietly at his locker, staring at his phone and collecting his thoughts.

I'm just glad I was able to meet him. I'm glad I was able to do what I did for him before he passed. I knew his situation. I knew it was going to come. I didn't know it was going to come this soon.

Before the game, Kemp was supposed to call Joshua Jones, the terminally ill Dodgers fan he befriended three months ago in San Francisco. But Kemp found out Wednesday after batting practice that Jones had died Tuesday night. He was 19.

"I'm just glad I was able to meet him," Kemp told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I'm glad I was able to do what I did for him before he passed. I knew his situation. I knew it was going to come. I didn't know it was going to come this soon."

Kemp first met Jones after a May 5 game against the San Francisco Giants when he walked over to Jones, sitting along the third-base line, and autographed his baseball. He then proceeded to take off his hat, jersey and shoes and put them on Jones' lap as his friend recorded the encounter.
The video quickly went viral, garnering more than 3 million views.

Later that month, Kemp flew Jones and his family to Los Angeles to watch the Dodgers play the Los Angeles Angels. Jones was able to meet Kemp and his teammates before the game on the field and take pictures with several players, including Clayton Kershaw, who gave Jones a signed bat.

"I was actually supposed to call him here," Kemp said. "They were telling me his story and telling me he didn't have too much time left, and I was supposed to call him. ... I didn't find out until sometime after BP."

Kemp was visibly moved as he spoke about Jones on Thursday night, still in disbelief that his friend had died before he was able to talk to him one last time.
"He did have an impact on my life, and I'm sure on a lot of other people's lives, especially when the story went around YouTube," Kemp said. "I'm just glad I got to meet him and do what I did for him. I'm glad he got to come on the field and meet all the players and see a Dodger game. It was very exciting for me to do that for him, and I'm glad I could before he passed."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9552524/los-angeles-dodgers-fan-joshua-jones-befriended-matt-kemp-dies-19

What Matt did.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZUXTUrj4WM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdt4fT2J9Ns

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."

Last edited by Davetucson on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Touching Story Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Touching Story Happy010

Touching Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Touching Story   Touching Story EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:18 am

bawling  I love it when baseball really has heroes. The home-runs, the grand-slams....those are all fun to watch...But *this* is what life is really about. Thanks for sharing that, Dave.
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Touching Story Happy010

Touching Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Touching Story   Touching Story EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 am

Just when I give up on people, I am reminded that there ARE still good people out there!  Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful story, Dave!

Edit: I just got to see the videos. What an amazing thing to do...and I'm happy Joshua got to enjoy these beautiful moments! Matt Kemp is an amazing person! bawling 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Touching Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Touching Story   Touching Story Empty

Back to top Go down

Touching Story
Page 1 of 1