Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪

Go down 
+4
Savannah
Kristina
Rob
Rhonda
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Purple2

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Empty
PostSubject: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Russell_Johnson_CBS_150

Russell Johnson, who played the professor on "Gilligan's Island," died Thursday morning, his agent confirmed to TheWrap. He was 89.

Johnson died at his home in Washington state of natural causes, his agent, Michael Eisenstadt said.

Born in rural northeastern Pennsylvania, Johnson graduated from a private boarding school for orphaned children before joining the Air Force, flying dozens of combat missions in World War II -- including one that turned him into a real-life castaway in the Philippines in 1945. Johnson's B-25 bomber was shot down by heavy flak; he broke both his ankles during the mission, and received the Purple Heart.

Johnson's acting career started nearly a decade later, with early roles in westerns and sci-fi movies and TV shows, including "It Came From Outer Space," "This Island Earth" and "Attack of the Crab Monsters." His TV career was robust through the late 1950s and early '60s, including as a regular on "Black Saddle" and two episodes of "The Twilight Zone."

But he'll be best remembered as Roy Hinkley -- "The Professor" -- on "Gilligan's Island." Johnson's unwavering, straight-man treatment of the character brought brains and gravitas to the otherwise silliness of Sherwood Schwartz's creation; it also afforded the otherwise hapless castaways a badly-needed hero, whose fix-it-with-whatever's-around approach would give way to more modern characters like Richard Dean Anderson's "MacGyver" and spurned spy Michael Westen on "Burn Notice."

Johnson was the last surviving male castaway from the TV series that ran from 1964 to 1967. Bob Denver (Gilligan) died in 2005; Alan Hale (the Skipper) died in 1990; and Jim Backus (Mr. Howell) died in 1989. Natalie Schafer (Mrs. Howell) died in 1991; Dawn Wells and Tina Louise (Mary Ann and Ginger) are the last surviving castmembers.

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Rhonda10♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. The Professor made being smart seem cool.
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm

I was sad to hear this.... I liked his character on Gilligan's Island  Blue 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Scott Pelley of the CBS Evening News just summed up Russell's "Gilligan's Island" experience in a way that might well become his epitaph: "He could make radios out of coconut shells... but he couldn't fix the hole in the boat."  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Happy010

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Aw, I was so sad to hear this. I had a huge crush on him when I was a little girl. HeeHee Intelligence has always appealed to me. Until just recently, though, I never knew that his character HAD a name. I always just called him "The Professor".
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm not sure they ever used his name on the show. Same with the Skipper. His name was Jonas Grumby, but I don't remember ever hearing that, either. Though it's probably been close to 40 years since I've seen the show.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Headac10

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Blue R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 am

I heard about this and Dave Madden last night. Seems they're coming in threes. The last female Oz Munchkin, Ruth Robinson Duccini, died yesterday.

By the way, I was wondering if it made sense to have a celebrity deaths thread instead of starting a new thread for each actor. That's what is done over at one of the DQ forums. It seems to work out just fine. Not sure if it makes sense for us, but I figured I would toss the idea out there.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 am

There are 2 sticky posts that are full of the celebrity deaths, titled: "2012 In Memoriam" and "2013 In Memoriam".....I am waiting for 2004 to start up and will have the mods sticky it as well......  Thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Lisa wrote:
Aw, I was so sad to hear this. I had a huge crush on him when I was a little girl.  HeeHee  Intelligence has always appealed to me.

I should have known!! Laughing  Me too!  But Lisa my dear, I love brains in a guy as much as the next girl out there, but let's face it---the Professor was hot! yes  And basically, when you think about it, he and Mary Ann were the only 'normal' people out there, making them both arguably the most attractive people on the island. HeeHee 

This is a show I absolutely never missed, like the Brady Bunch.  Just never EVER missed, lol.  I remember the two were my after-school line-up for a long time (reruns) too.  

Rob, Jonas Grumby?!?! thud  Wherever did they come up with this name?? scratchead 

May Russell rest in peace...I can't believe how many are gone now. No Now hearing that "Ruben Kinckaide" died from the Partridge family died yesterday too, my gosh....I feel like I'm officially 'aging' now that a lot of actors from my childhood are passing away. No

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Found this online....  batEyes 

Main characters (the castaways)

Gilligan (played by Bob Denver) - The title character of the show. Gilligan is a crewman of the S. S. Minnow who worked for the Skipper. He is a bumbling idiot who always seems to mess up the castaways' escape. He wears a red shirt, light blue pants, and a white sailor's hat. His last name is never revealed. In the never-aired pilot episode, it is revealed that his first name is Willy.

The Skipper (played by Alan Hale, Jr.) - His real name is Jonas Grumby and he is the captain of the S. S. Minnow. He is well over-weight, leading to numerous fat jokes from Gilligan. Such an instance is when the Professor and Gilligan are helping him into a wetsuit: the Skipper says that he just has big bones, to which Gilligan adds: "and they're covered in big meat." Whenever he gets frustrated with Gilligan, he swats him in the head with his hat.

Thurston Howell, III (played by Jim Backus) - Thurston is a millionaire used to luxurious living and never does any work on the island. The only exception is when the castaways believed that Mr. Howell was broke and making him do work. He always devises get-rich-quick schemes on the island. Thurston was originally a multi-billionaire until the stock market crash rendered him a multi-millionaire.

Mrs. Howell (played by Natalie Schafer) - Thurston's wife. She can be more spoiled than Mr. Howell at times, but is always the first to want to try something first. Mr. Howell always calls her "Lovey." Her name is Eunice Wentworth Howell.

Ginger Grant (played by Tina Louise) - A movie star from Hollywood. Ginger usually tries to use tricks from the movies she starred in to solve problems causing other castaways to rescue her from any dangers that befall her. She helps Mary Ann with cooking and dishwashing.

Professor (played by Russell Johnson): His real name is Roy Hinkley and he was a high school teacher before being stranded on the island. He has numerous scientific degrees, and using his knowledge built many things on the island out of bamboo and other materials. He is the most well-learned of the group and always has a logical answer to everything (although not always correct).

Mary Ann Summers (played by Dawn Wells) - A farm girl from Winfield, Kansas. Not much is said about her before getting to the island. She is portrayed as a typical "girl next door" and does most of the laundry and cooking with some help from Ginger. She is famous for her coconut cream pies which usually end up on Gilligan's face.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Amy wrote:
Me too!  But Lisa my dear, I love brains in a guy as much as the next girl out there, but let's face it---the Professor was hot! yes

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Russell had sort of a Brad Pitt thing going on. 

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Russell-Johnson

Then Amy wrote:
And basically, when you think about it, he and Mary Ann were the only 'normal' people out there, making them both arguably the most attractive people on the island. HeeHee

Loved Mary Ann!  Never gave Ginger a second look.  Mary Ann was the one.  yes
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks for posting that Rhonda!  Sure wish I would have known all this info back when I was watching the SHOW!  Gee, what DID we do before the internet??? LOL!  

Ok, I guess if there was ever a name "Jonas Grumby", it would suit the skipper over the professor. HeeHee 

Wow, I had forgotten about all the fat jokes...oh my gosh, you sure wouldn't see that today, would you?!  My how times have changed.

Rob, you know who I can see??? Matt Damon! He's kind of a cross between Matt, Brad and yes, I see even a little Ben Affleck in there.  Not a bad combination! Wink 

And I'm thinking we've shared this Mary Ann tidbit before, but yep---my hubby was all about Mary Ann!  Never cared a hoot about Ginger.  Good thing she was not his type because I couldn't be further from that 'glamorous' type! LOL!  I only wish I looked as good as Mary Ann in short shorts and pigtails. Yikes

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 pm

I guess Bill and I aren't alone, Amy.  I saw this on Wiki:

In a debate to which girl was more attractive out of Ginger and Mary Ann, Mary Ann has continuously outpolled Ginger. Mary Ann's wholesome girl-next-door looks caused her to be more favorable to being a man's dream wife and women's model of themselves. Since the show's debut, Mary Ann has been known as the show's most popular character. Bob Denver (aka Gilligan) admitted he was a Mary Ann man and that Dawn Wells got at least 3–5,000 fan letters a week. Mary Ann's creator Sherwood Schwartz later admitted that he did not see Mary Ann or the Professor as prominent characters during the first few episodes but he later corrected his mistake by giving them larger roles and adding them to the show's opening.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Thumbsup 

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm with you Amy, our childhood hero's are leaving us. Never knew of his show name either.
I always wanted he and MaryAnn to get married. lol Wonder what happened to his family to have him in a boarding school for orphans?

I have gotten two wrong number calls from someone asking for "Skipper". I simply told the guy Skipper wasn't here but probably with Gilligan . I said : " This is Ginger. Really." If Skipper calls me I'll let him know you called."

The second time the guy called he laughed hard. I told him my name really was Ginger.

Oh, and my neighbors dog is named Gilligan. This show follows me in a lot of different ways. lol

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 am

I want a dog named Gilligan!! laugh3  That's brilliant. Your dog Heidi should have been Mary Ann! HeeHee 

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 am

Gin wrote:
I simply told the guy Skipper wasn't here but probably with Gilligan . I said : " This is Ginger. Really." If Skipper calls me I'll let him know you called."

Oh, that's funny!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 pm

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ 706279bd0d7d55d8235b4f307749fac1

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Laughing  I love the look on Mr. Howell's face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪   ♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪ Empty

Back to top Go down

♪♫♪The Professor and....♪♫♪
Page 1 of 1