Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help the Ingalls find a new home!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

Help the Ingalls find a new home! Empty
PostSubject: Help the Ingalls find a new home!   Help the Ingalls find a new home! EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 4:59 pm

The Ingalls are on the move! Charles has got "itchy feet" and tell the family it's time to move again. Caroline is rolling her eyes but says, "If you think best Charles."

This is the thing though, they can't decide where they want to go, so let's help them out. Tell us why you think the Ingalls should move to your state/country/area. It has to be as the area was in the late 1800s. No "because Costco is close by." Give us some pro and cons of living in your state in the late 1800s.

I think the Ingalls should move to Washington State. When they cross into the eastern part of the state, they will find rolling hills, and Caroline would say, "we're in Washington, this part looks good. Let's settle here."
But if they heard about the western part of the state, like on the Olympic peninsula, they would find the area lush and green, with 1,000 year old cedar trees in every direction. There would be game too, a big elk could feed the family a week. And all the salmon Laura can catch! The winters are mild, no more -50 below temperatures. The logging industry would provide Charles with a job anytime he wanted. The coastal Indian tribes were pretty mellow too.

Those are the pros, here are the cons:

Wet! Caroline would be working overtime making parafin soaked cloth to keep them somewhat dry. The wet winters almost drove Lewis and Clark crazy when they spent the winter at Fort Clatsop on the Oregon coast. Almost drives me crazy in 2014!
The trip: Wow, they would have some brutal mountains to cross, not hills, but real mountains. They would take the Oregon Trail route, but that was some tough traveling. At least Charles couldn't go any further west. Caroline would say, "Charles, the Pacific Ocean is 40 miles away! We can't go any further unless you want to build a boat and go to China!" I guess that part would be a pro.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62610
Mood : Help the Ingalls find a new home! Goodsi10

Help the Ingalls find a new home! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help the Ingalls find a new home!   Help the Ingalls find a new home! EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Interesting thread! Washington sounds nice.  yes 

Well, I live in northern lower Michigan. So the pros would be that it wouldn't be that far of a trip from Minnesota. And we had a thriving timber industry at the time, so Charles could always find work. Lots of fish and animals for the Ingalls' table. Spring and fall are beautiful here, and I bet the girls would love that.

The only con I can think of is that the winters here are pretty much as brutal as in Minnesota. That might be a BIG drawback.  scared 
Back to top Go down

Help the Ingalls find a new home!
Page 1 of 1