Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Birds are coming...

Go down 
+3
Davetucson
Rob
julmer70
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : The Birds are coming... Happy010

The Birds are coming... Empty
PostSubject: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 am

...Actually they're already here! This is the one thing I hate about this time of year! They usually strike at my job, but now they're right outside my house! My mom and I were walking Roxy (our dog)...or at least trying to walk her...and two birds kept coming at us! It was hard to go back to the house! And the noises they were making...they even tried to get Roxy.

They couldn't find another place to build their nests? Ok guys, stop laughing! It is funny, but then again, it's not! Not only is it annoying, it's scary...I hear when they peck...it really HURTS! Do you guys have any suggestions? Not going outside, unfortunately, is not an option... Ranting banghead Laughing 

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : The Birds are coming... Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 am

Hope your Easter was a good one, too, Jules!

What kinds of birds are these?
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 7:44 am

I have no idea...but what's more surprising is the fact that these are supposedly the "nice" birds. The ones who usually attack around here are those black (evil) birds that look like they have a mohawk.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : The Birds are coming... Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

The same thing happens to Sandy and I occasionally. Last time it happened, I took this photo......
The Birds are coming... Sandie10
Really makes for a lousy commute to work too!
The Birds are coming... Birds210

But do not fear. I found the answer........Simply buy a couple of these outfits and it will scare them away! Of course, it will scare the neighbors away too!
The Birds are coming... San_di10

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 am

Dave wrote:
But do not fear. I found the answer........Simply buy a couple of these outfits and it will scare them away! Of course, it will scare the neighbors away too!
The Birds are coming... San_di10

Dave and Sandy... the early years:

The Birds are coming... BirdandSnuffy
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Birds are coming... Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 am

The above post looks particularly funny when one looks at Rob's current avatar. Whistle HeeHee

Jules, maybe you can take an umbrella with you for a while. Maybe the birds will get the idea that you aren't out to harm their nests, though.
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks Amy! Yes, an umbrella sounds like a good idea...even though it's beautiful out. But I'm sure that will help...my co-worker suggested the same thing.

LOL @ Rob's post...I can't see his avatar (or anyone else's) here though...I'm at work and for some reason they are blocked. I'll look when I get home.

My mom called me a little while ago and she told me she had to go outside...they're still at it! It's a good thing I have an umbrella in my car!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 am

I can't believe that there are actually GROWN people on here!

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:39 pm

HeeHee 

On the subject of birds, my sister and her husband were at the Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden & Bird Sanctuary in Minneapolis last weekend.  She sent me a link to their FB page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eloise-Butler-Wildflower-Garden-and-Bird-Sanctuary/166629750054157 - and I found this picture on it:

The Birds are coming... 1959528_715452415166585_1836251825_n

"A convocation of Bald Eagles at Dam 13 along the upper Mississippi River (between Illinois and Iowa). If this isn’t incredible enough, photographer Michael Descamps reports that this group represents less than half of the eagles that were gathered there the day of the photo."
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Eagles! How fascinating!
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : The Birds are coming... Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:17 pm

We had a situation once with birds.  This was in the summer, maybe 20 years ago or so.  It was late.  Probably between 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning.  I was still up, as usual.   Smile  I heard the birds (and it sounded like SO MANY) making so much noise.  Just for the time of night it was unusual.  My brother used to work late and he would come home about that time.  During this time of his life he was taking a bus.  So he was walking home from the bus stop (his house being down the block from us) and then our doorbell rang.  He was scared to death to walk past the trees closer to my house because of the birds.  When he heard them he went across the street and they all flew to that side of the street to those trees.  So he then came back to this side and they flew back.  My brother came here because he didn't know what to do.  It was definitely something out of "The Birds"!  They were darting in and out of the trees and making so much noise.  It was creepy!  Then the woman, whose house is a few houses down from ours, came home from work.  And she didn't know what to do.  She wasn't parked in front of her house because there was no room.  So she had to park a little bit away and walk past these trees (one of which was right in front of her house).  Eventually they both walked as fast as they could to get past the trees.  And we have never had anything like that happen again.  It was just too weird!  It still gives me chills thinking about it!

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm

How bizarre!  Do you know what kind they were?  (I'm a bit of a bird nerd.  Smile)  It's weird enough for birds to be out at night (except for owls), even weirder how they "followed" your brother.  Did anyone have any theories why they might've been behaving that way?
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : The Birds are coming... Headac10

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

We used to have a wood peacker at the tree each day he bang on the tree, I understand how annoying that may be

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : The Birds are coming... Purple2

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 pm

The Birds are coming... Rhonda10The Birds are coming... Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 am

BTW Dave, I had a feeling either you or Rob would show a scene from "The Birds." I really did feel like I was in a Hitchcock movie!  Laughing 

Krissy, woodpeckers can be annoying...but it's nothing compared to birds actually trying to attack!

I had the umbrella yesterday and they didn't go near me, but they were around. It really DOES work, thanks Amy!! They tried to attack poor Mom yesterday afternoon though...and the neighbors are getting sick of them already!

MissOleson...OMG, that is strange! How scary! Night time? It really is bizaare!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
We used to have a wood peacker at the tree each day he bang on the tree, I understand how annoying that may be
They bang on my satellite dish every morning!

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : The Birds are coming... Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Rob wrote:
How bizarre!  Do you know what kind they were?  (I'm a bit of a bird nerd.  Smile)  It's weird enough for birds to be out at night (except for owls), even weirder how they "followed" your brother.  Did anyone have any theories why they might've been behaving that way?
I am pretty certain they were crows. Based on their size and the sound they made, I don't see how they could've been anything other than crows. No, we never could come up with a reason for why that happened. Honestly, I have thought about it every now and then, but I have never thought to look into it. I should see if I could find an explanation online somewhere for such a strange occurrence like that.

julmer70 wrote:

MissOleson...OMG, that is strange!  How scary!  Night time?  It really is bizaare!
Yes, the fact that it happened at night made it ever creepier. Imagine how I felt when I heard all of that noise so late at night. And then they way they were with my brother was terrible. I think he really was on the verge of crying because he just didn't know what to do!

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

This is getting insane already...I'm at the point where I really want to find that nest, and get rid of it! I would never want to do such a thing, I'd feel bad about it (it's mean); however, we can't live like this anymore! And for some reason, they seem to target my mom most of all. I guess when she walks the dog during the day, she's closer to the nest?

Oh Rob...someone told me they are mockingbirds. They're beautiful...and I usually enjoy watching them...but geez! banghead 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 am

I guess it's not all that unusual, Jules. 

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:49 am

That's it! Thats them! The little buggers!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:08 am

Oh, they are annoying alright! The thought that we may have weeks of this... mad 

Latest update: they're still around, annoying every one and attacking every one they see. Not only that...they have now picked our mailbox to be their toilet.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 am

Then you'll definitely want to take your umbrella when you go out for the mail.  Whistle
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am

You know what the worst part is? Miami's in a drought right now...yet I still have to carry that stupid umbrella around!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 am

Just don't do what Rob did in a spring snow.........it can be ugly!
The Birds are coming... Robs_b10

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Birds are coming...   The Birds are coming... Empty

Back to top Go down

The Birds are coming...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next