Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melissa's Cookbook

Go down 
+7
Amy
Jillybean
Rob
LIWnut
Krissy
bethandmanly
littlehouselover
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Empty
PostSubject: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:59 am

http://instagram.com/p/qXgobXPoBp/
http://www.amazon.com/My-Prairie-Cookbook-Memories-Frontier/dp/1419707787

My friend bought me a LHOP cookbook years ago, never really used it, the fat content was so high : )

I think this is to replace the one she was doing on questions given to her from fans. I personally would have liked that better but it was finally taken off Amazon as "coming soon". http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Gilberts-Prairie-Memories-Gilbert/dp/1419700642

Sure it's a way to get more publicity, make money and use LHOP memories. The recipes aren't anything you couldn't get somewhere else, but I'm curious about the pictures. It seems we've seen them all, except for personal ones probably taken on the set by costars. For that, I'm curious. 18.00 is a little high, maybe it will drop after a while.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 am

I pre-ordered it. I'm such a sucker for these things.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 am

I'M sure die heart friends will buy it Smile 

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 pm

I can't wait to see the Amazon preview they usually give and then I'll see.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 9:39 pm

My dear friend Beth is mentioned in this video, I was so excited to hear her name mentioned. This was filmed today (Saturday Sept 13, 2014) and her book tour starts on Monday.

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook MarilynKeeper gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 4:56 am

http://www.amazon.com/My-Prairie-Cookbook-Memories-Frontier/dp/1419707787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410774590&sr=8-1&keywords=melissa+gilbert#reader_1419707787

You can see some pages now on Amazon.

Some of the pics seem new (to me) but of course are candids of MG more than others (It is her book)
When I searched for Jonathan I got mostly Ernest Borgnine quotes except for page 171 which said Jon was her brother and sometimes nice to work with. Not in index...but it is a cookbook about her and LHOP so I look forward to getting it for any candids I might not have seen and maybe some recipes I can use.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Got my cookbook today. On first glance, there are some delicious sounding recipes, I will put them in my fitness site online, to see calories (they calculate using ingredients) She has casseroles, desserts, main dishes. She did mention with her fried chicken they used KFC on LHOP. ; )
Some pictures I didn't see before, some candids have been online. Her photos of Michael's family and memories were his early ones, no mention of his later life changes and family.
No mention of MSA or Jonathan but Melissa is in pictures. (this didn't surprise me considering the type of book)
She has a "bloopers" page from Prairie Fans web site, and makes some funny/snarky comments on them and some FAQ...most we've heard before. I didn't think some of the responses were funny but that was just me, another set of eyes might think differently. I also didn't think most fans had to be reminded what was "real" and not real, but maybe some don't know most of it wasn't "by the book".

All in all, I'm glad I got it, have to look at recipes more closely in the next few days. I wish for even more pictures, but that's me, the food was the star not the actors.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Melissa Gilbert on tour signing her cookbook and being interviewed. This was aired today in IA.

Radio Interview

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook MarilynKeeper gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Beauti10

Melissa at book signing in IA today. Isn't he beautiful!

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Marilyn wrote:
Isn't he beautiful!

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Barney-phone_zps2e25d27c  greenS
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Jillybean

Number of posts : 39
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 am

Was looking at Amazon's preview and in the back of the book at the 'acknowledgments,' it appears she failed to mention MSA but lists a host of others. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 pm

No she didn't mention her or Jon but she doesn't like them, so I can see her not doing it. I for some reason think MSA would have since the group of names were so large if it was her book but who knows. She did say, "the list goes on and on" at the end. No Matthew either.

Another little gripe is that many of the collage pictures aren't identified. Most of the stars I know but extras or crew and her family, it would have been nice to have a little caption under them.
I think the editor missed a couple of food pictures have the same title, just an over site I guess.
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Jillybean

Number of posts : 39
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm

littlehouselover wrote:
No she didn't mention her or Jon but she doesn't like them, so I can see her not doing it. I for some reason think MSA would have since the group of names were so large if it was her book but who knows. She did say, "the list goes on and on" at the end. No Matthew either.

Another little gripe is that many of the collage pictures aren't identified. Most of the stars I know but extras or crew and her family, it would have been nice to have a little caption under them.
I think the editor missed a couple of food pictures have the same title, just an over site I guess.

Thanks for the info. No Matthew. That makes me said. I knew she had beef with MSA and Jon, but Matthew?

I have a horrible cold so was unable to attend, but my mom went to a book signing last night and said MG didn't leave the best impression. Complaining about her arm, leaning on her hand as if bored, no eye contact, pushing books aside quickly. Perhaps this is the way most signings of this magnitude go. I don't know. Or she could have been having a bad day. I know if my arm hurt the last thing I'd want to do is sign my name a couple hundred times. My mom left disappointed. But on a high note, she said the book looks great!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 am

littlehouselover wrote:
Got my cookbook today. On first glance, there are some delicious sounding recipes, I will put them in my fitness site online, to see calories (they calculate using ingredients) She has casseroles, desserts, main dishes. She did mention with her fried chicken they used KFC on LHOP. ; )
Some pictures I didn't see before, some candids have been online. Her photos of Michael's family and memories were his early ones, no mention of his later life changes and family.
No mention of MSA or Jonathan but Melissa is in pictures. (this didn't surprise me considering the type of book)
She has a "bloopers" page from Prairie Fans web site, and makes some funny/snarky comments on them and some FAQ...most we've heard before. I didn't think some of the responses were funny but that was just me, another set of eyes might think differently. I also didn't think most fans had to be reminded what was "real" and not real, but maybe some don't know most of it wasn't "by the book".

All in all, I'm glad I got it, have to look at recipes more closely in the next few days. I wish for even more pictures, but that's me, the food was the star not the actors.

Great review of the book!  Thanks!!  

Rob wrote:
Marilyn wrote:
Isn't he beautiful!

gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Barney-phone_zps2e25d27c  greenS

Rob!!! laugh3  Marilyn, yes, SHE looks beautiful!!  LOL!  That really is a good picture of her. batEyes

Jillybean wrote:
I have a horrible cold so was unable to attend, but my mom went to a book signing last night and said MG didn't leave the best impression. Complaining about her arm, leaning on her hand as if bored, no eye contact, pushing books aside quickly. Perhaps this is the way most signings of this magnitude go. I don't know. Or she could have been having a bad day. I know if my arm hurt the last thing I'd want to do is sign my name a couple hundred times. My mom left disappointed. But on a high note, she said the book looks great!

I'm so sorry your couldn't attend Jillybean!  What a shame that your mom left a little disappointed from the book signing.  That's just the thing, it has to be so hard to be 'on' all the time during each of those, tuned into the fans completely and feeling up to it.  That said, I would be VERY disappointed if it were me, too.  My friend got us each a cookbook and we're going to the signing as an early birthday outing for me. My friend lives in Howell MI too and that will be Melissa's 'coming home' tour, so I'm sure she'll be exhausted.  I hope we get 'the best' of her.  We are disappointed that the place where it's being held is not going to allow pictures, as it slows the line down too much.  I get it, and yet of course as a fan, that is half of the fun!!  There will be a photographer there and pictures will be 'available', which makes me think there is a charge for them. Ugh.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 4:22 pm

A new interview Melissa did for a Detroit news station about her cookbook, plus her biscuits and gravy now being served at her local hometown restaurant. She is so animated and likeable in her interviews. She is clearly elated about this! (It's broken up into two segments)...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/live-in-the-d/live-in-the-d-melissa-gilbert-cookbook/29163370

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/live-in-the-d/restaurant-serving-melissa-gilberts-recipe/29163764

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for those, Amy!  Wow, those biscuits and gravy look goooood!

Melissa really does seem excited to see her recipe on the menu.  And she's got to be the best thing that's happened to Diamond's in a long time.  What great publicity for them!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Laughing Wow, she's REALLY thrilled about this, isn't she! And interesting that the biscuits and gravy are made with stove-top biscuits. I've never made those. I may just have to give that a try.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm off to Brighton, Michigan right now to meet Melissa Gilbert! Thumbsup  Still kind of feels surreal---I can't believe I'm actually going to see/meet "Laura Ingalls"! LOL!  She is doing a book signing at Barnes and Noble from 7:00-9:00. It's only about 45 minutes from me...I'm hoping to get in line early.  Hoping the line isn't TOO bad and that it's not outside, either!!  It's cold and windy today.  I'll try to check in later to let you all know how it went. Smile

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Cheer Cheer Cheer I'm so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Looking forward to hearing all about it, Amy!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 pm

It was awesome! dancegirl  

Well, there were a gazillion people....and I was in the 2nd to the last group.  SO, I wasn't even sure I would get to meet her/have the book signed, because the store closed at 9:00, plus it said the event was from 7-9pm.  But they DID keep the store open and I finally got up to her to have it signed right about 9:30pm. I have to admit, as I was waiting back about 4 or 5 people, talking to some ladies around me, I actually started getting pretty nervous!  I was trying to think of something to SAY that wasn't going to sound redundant to her at the END of her night!

First off, I need to say this.  I got there around 7:00pm, and almost the whole time I was there, I was standing with a small group off to the side of her table behind a rack of books (yes, we all looked like stalkers or like we were watching a zoo exhibit, lol, but this is what you do when you're in absolute shock that you're standing mere feet from LAURA INGALLS, ok??? Whistle Laughing ).  She didn't seem to mind at all and there were other people standing to her other side too.  So through most of the evening, I overheard her conversations with people as they came up to get their books signed, and I can't tell you how incredibly personable, kind, and engaged she was with everyone that I witnessed.  She was especially amazing with the children....she has a way with kids, that is evident, and making that connection with them was clearly important to her.  

So, keeping in mind what I saw all night, my experience was....well, a *little* disappointing.  But I totally forgive her.  So I was next in line, and Half Pint (for the first time I'd seen her eat all night) shoved a hand FULL of black jelly beans into her mouth. thud laugh3  Here's the thing....I couldn't help but see Laura Ingalls shoving jelly beans into her mouth in Oleson's Mercantile!!! HeeHee  I SHOULD have told her that, but I didn't think to actually SAY those words out loud!  I'm sure she would have gotten a kick out of that.  Instead I commented that I got to see her in the LH musical a few years back for my birthday which was a dream come true, and now i'm back for another dream come true for my birthday, meeting her in person.  Of course she smiled and nodded and was giggly and 'tried' to be apologetic as she chewed her jelly beans and couldn't speak! Laughing  I do TOTALLY forgive her...I mean, it had been a LONG night by that point, and she STILL had a ways to go, and I'd only seen her take one potty break and never eat a thing, so the poor thing just needed a little sugar buzz to keep her going! Yikes  It had to happen with SOMEONE in the line, I guess why not me?! Ooops  But yeah, just a *wee* bit disappointing.  As I thanked her and walked away from the table though, she managed to say Happy Birthday and then "I chewed on the side that she wasn't taking the pictures of us!"  (there was a barnes and noble employee that took a couple of pictures).  I thought that was sweet and funny. HeeHee

I am still unable to post pictures right now, so I texted some pics to Savannah and she is going to post them for me when she gets a chance.  

It felt great to cross this off the bucket list!  I really don't get starstuck, but if I have a childhood icon, Melissa Gilbert/Laura Ingalls is it. yes

By the way, I have to say, her cookbook is REALLY good.  The recipes look great overall, some I can't wait to try, and the scrapbook material and her writing is just amazing and so personable.  This book feels like a WARM HUG. loveheart   And from what I learned about her, watching her 'in action' with her fans from all walks of life for over two hours, is that SHE exudes warmth.  I know Jillybean here said her mom did not get the best impression of Melissa, that she was rather standoffish and complaining about her wrist hurting, as I recall.  And I won't lie, if that happened to me, as a fan, I would feel VERY disheartened too.  But all I can say is that she IS human and probably has her off days/nights when she's more tired and 'off' than others.  Fortunately I was able to see for myself that she really does appreciate her fans whole--heartedly, and it was clear how genuine she was with everyone.  Even with me, with her mouth full of jelly beans.HeeHee  I WISH that she had shown that more to your mom....please let your mom know my experience, Jillybean...I have a feeling that will make her feel a little better about Melissa as a 'person'. yes

A few key things that caught my attention:  When she was asked how she likes living in Michigan?  "I LOVE living here...I could not be happier right now that I possibly am." And boy did she sound like she meant every word.  She has said that Timothy predicted that when they moved here they would both get more work than they've had in ages, and that's true...she said they both have more projects than they've had in years.

She was asked about her granddaughter a lot.  She was born last week to her stepson, Bruce Boxleitner's son, and her name is Lulabelle Rose. You'd think that question would get redundant, but she totally lit right up every time she was asked!  She is a proud grandma! Love

And here's an answer that she gave, that I didn't hear the question to, but something about Michael Landon, and she spoke very slowly and emphatically, with SO. MUCH. reverance I could feel my eyes stinging with tears. "You are talking about my father.  Every man I have ever dated or married (*chuckle*) has had to pass that litmus test.  He has set the bar incredibly high."  We all know that Michael Landon was no saint.  But in Melissa's eyes, he had qualities that she has really desired in a mate.  After seeing Timothy in countless interviews now---his intelligence, his sense of humor (they are BOTH drop dead hilarious), he really DOES seem like her perfect mate, and I think Michael Landon would be very pleased. loveheart

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Wow, what an exciting time you have had!! I have yet to meet Melissa but I do have her autograph in my copy of Prairie Tale. Maybe one day. I'm so glad that you have this special time Amy. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 9:52 am

Love it, Mimi! Can't wait to see the pictures!

And what are the odds that the words "jelly beans" and "Jillybean" would come up in consecutive sentence? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks Marilyn and Rob. Smile  It would have been more fun if Savannah and my friend who lives in Howell near Melissa Gilbert could have come with me, but Savannah was working and my friend was ill. Blue  I almost didn't go, but I decided I would probably regret it for the rest of my life if I just blew this off.  It was only 45 minutes away, so I decided that I needed to do this for myself, and I'm glad I did. yes

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Cookbook   gilbert - Melissa's Cookbook Empty

Back to top Go down

Melissa's Cookbook
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next