Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo

Go down 
+2
Gin
Rhonda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Purple2

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Empty
PostSubject: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 am

Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo....August 25, 1885, 129 years!

Laura and Almanzo (Younger)
Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo LAyoung

Laura and Almanzo (Older in Mansfield, Missouri)
Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo LAold

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Rhonda10Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!

Last edited by Rhonda on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:33 am

I always think of them on August 25th ....and the fact that she got married in black. Yikes

I am glad they had a wonderful 64 years together, and got to hold both of their babies. They sure went through a lot, but I think they were certainly the right match for one another. What a great example they have been.

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Gin wrote:
 I always think of them on August 25th ....and the fact that she got married in black.  Yikes

I am glad they had a wonderful  64 years together, and got to hold both of their babies.  They sure went through a lot, but I think they were certainly the right match for one another.   What a great example they have been.

I couldn't have said it any better, Gin. Love

I wonder WHY she wore black? Did anyone ever ask her this question, do you know? I am VERY curious to know what possessed her! LOL!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:21 pm

From what I recall, it was a dress she had already been working on, and when Almanzo asked her to marry him, she knew she didn't have time to make another.  I am guessing, they didn't have the money, nor the material to make a white dress.....back then, they were very practical people, and she would have more use out of this dress, than a white one that she wouldn't wear much because of getting it dirty.........I don't think they cared about the wedding, they were more into the marriage....and if people would put as much effort into their marriage, as they do preparing the wedding, they would probably last longer....scratchead

In Laura's book, "The First Four Years", Almanzo tells her that his mother and sister, (not sure which sister) were planning on coming out and taking over the wedding plans...He did NOT want that and said they could get married right away.  Laura didn't want to put Pa into debt with a big wedding, she and Almanzo didn't have a lot of money as well.  They decided to marry right away.  

"Can't we be married soon?  If you don't want a big wedding, and you would be willing, we could be married right away.  When I was back in Minnesota last winter, my sister started planning a big church wedding for us.  I told her we didn't want it, and to give up the idea, but she hasn't changed her mind.  She is coming out here with my mother, to take charge of our wedding.  But harvest is right on hand.  It will be an awfully busy time and I'd like us to be settled first." The First Four Years pg 3

'And so on Thursday, the twenty-fifth of August, at ten o'clock in the morning, the quick-stepping brown horses and the b uggy with the shining top flashed around the corner at Piersons' livery barn, came swiftly over the half mile, and drew up at the door of the little claim house in its hollow square of young cottonwoods.

Laura stood at the door, her Ma and Pa on either hand, her two sisters grouped behind her.

They all gaily tried to help her into the buggy.  Her wedding dress was the new black cashmere she had thought would be so serviceable, for a married woman should have a black dress.'  The First Four Years, pg 9

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Rhonda10Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Lauram10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Why couldn't Pa, Ma and the girls go too? Seems funny they weren't there to witness the ceremony. Pa didn't even get to give his half-pint away. Traditions sure are funny sometimes.

Isn't cashmere hot?? I looked up the average temps on that date and it said it was 85 degrees.

Also, a major Hurricane hit South Carolina on the same date with many people killed. Interesting....

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 pm

They are beautiful couple.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:31 pm

130 years ago today..... Happy Anniversary to Half Pint and Manly...

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo D86f858323a01a4d0b0c3ae6d72fa2cc

Found a picture that I had never seen before.....so cool...

Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder at De Smet, SD, circa 1930.
Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo 33e74dd213307779626c587ccfe7cb35

Last edited by Rhonda on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Thumbsup So glad they shared their story with us.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Happy Anniversary

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Happy Anniversary!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 am

I meant to post something yesterday about this, and was reminded when someone posted this and the LIW Historic Home and Museum shared it.
Yesterday would've been 131 years. I bet the Wilder Home was busy yesterday!
Love

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo 14034880_1023069317742585_5735639512964391745_n

Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm

i love the last photo of laura.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Happy Anniversary to Half Pint and Manly...August 25, 1885...135 Years... wedding

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo 33e74dd213307779626c587ccfe7cb35

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 10:19 am

Bumping this up today, Laura and Almanzo's 137th wedding anniversary!

Anyone in Malone, NY, make sure to attend the special event they are having there, today! This is to celebrate Almanzo and Laura's anniversary! Bring proof that your anniversary is the same day and you get the tour FREE!!!
Visit Here

Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo 30063310

Anniversary to Half Pint and Manly...August 25, 1885...135 Years... wedding

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo   Almanzo - Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Anniversary to Laura and Almanzo
Page 1 of 1