Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

Number of posts : 419
Mood : anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Pbucket

anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Empty
PostSubject: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 10:51 am

Ok, I've read Alison Arngrim's book, (didn't know her brother did that to her, or why he wasn't locked up), am about to read Melissa Gilbert's book.

I can't seem to get a take on why MSA was so apparently disliked/different than the other actors. Was it something in her childhood?
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 4:42 pm

I have read all the books you have mentioned and my take is that almost like Mary Ingalls, Melissa S. Anderson was a studious girl. She was a bit reserved, and very focused on her role as well as her education. If she seemed disliked or different it was probably just because she was misunderstood and/or the other kids didn't have the chance to really know her .
She nailed her role as Mary and I think she has nailed her role as wife and Mom. She knew she wanted to have her focus on her own family. I think she has also represented a very noble standing with how Little House cast should carry themselves. Very proud of her.

anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 10:14 pm

I read the book too. I agree with Gin. I think the same. It bugged me how she talked to negative about her.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 6:28 pm

No adult ever said anything negative about MSA. I think like with schools, workplaces, etc., the set had its cliques and gossip and groups and she didn't fit in with their behavior at the time. Being "different" is always looked at negatively by others many times. I think the fact it was still brought up was mainly to sell the books. I'm sure without being a fly on the wall, they were told, the more inside gossip, the more discord talked about, the juicier it would be. I don't think Michael Landon would have liked it.

Melissa Sue added a lot to the show, her character was central at times and she did a fine job as Mary. Many older actors gave her a lot of kudos and even if her talent was mainly as a child actor, she handled herself well and I'm glad she didn't stoop as low in her rebuttals.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 4:27 pm

Gin wrote:
I have read all the books you have mentioned and my take is that almost like Mary Ingalls, Melissa S. Anderson was a studious girl.  She was a bit reserved, and very focused on her role as well as her education.  If she seemed disliked or different it was probably just because she was misunderstood and/or the other kids didn't have the chance to really know her .  
   She nailed her role as Mary and I think she has nailed her role as wife and Mom.  She knew she wanted to have her focus on her own family.  I think she has also represented a very noble standing with how Little House cast should carry themselves.  Very proud of her.

Nicely stated Gin!

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?   anderson - Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why was Melissa Sue Anderson so apparently distant/aloof?
Page 1 of 1