Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go down 
+7
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Krissy
david
amyk
bethandmanly
jes9
Kristina
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Bokmal10

wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Empty
PostSubject: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am

well I have to say that I think this is a very important episode. again, I'm not sure if there is already a discussion topic on this epsiode. Laura and Almanzo get married in this one! I almost cried when watching this one, it was sad but it was good. I felt really bad for Eliza Jane when she found out that Harv was getting married to another lady. I haven't seen season 8 yet. does Eliza Jane come back in any episodes? at the end of this one, I was happy to see that Laura and Almanzo got married and were able to live happily together
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am

I enjoyed the end of this episode when Laura and Almanzo finally got married! it made me sad to think that they might not get married, but it was nice to see it finally happen!
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 am

A great episode, but I felt bad for Eliza Jane -- making up the story about marrying Harve Miller. At the end of the episode, Eliza Jane says she'll write to Almanzo and Laura later to explain the whole thing, but I don't think it's ever mentioned again. We see Eliza Jane again in the episode where she and Laura go to a summer seminar in Arizona, but as I recall there's no mention of the Harve Miller story.

wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I think we're supposed to assume that EJ told them and that it wasn't brought up in "A Wiser Heart" when Laura and EJ go to that summer seminar. But it would help to explain Eliza Jane's horrible jealousy toward Laura in that episode when Laura's trying to tell EJ what a horrible guy the professor is and that he's not interested in her, and EJ lashes out at her saying Laura has everything.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I kind of did't really like Eliza Jane.Just something about her..Anways i did feel bad for her tho..poor women. Blue
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 529

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm

I think this was a good way to send off Eliza Jane, by letting her do this for Laura and Almanzo. But I kind of wish the episode did not focus quite so much on her and more on Laura and Almanzo.
Back to top Go down
david
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
david

Number of posts : 3584
Mood : wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Jamie Cromwell was such a cool actor that it seems they had no place casting him as that nerd father in "Revenge of the Nerds". He was cool in "Little House" and had a great heroic role in a "Father Murphy" episode a few years later.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 7:47 pm

It was a nice episode. Glad she and him finally got married. Just like she knew in her heart that she would. What kind of upsets me is the men don't like theire women working, Seems like they more or less need to choice between them. Glad it all worked out.She got to marry her men.She got to teach. Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 11:50 am

It may seem very chauvanistic to us now, but you need to remember that back then, taking care of a home and cooking did not include the kind of conveniences we have today. To cook everything from scratch, sew all the clothes, clean everything without electric appliances, etc. is an extremely time-consuming thing. So even if you had no children, just living probably required much more than a "40-hour work week" - if someone was trying to be a full-time teacher on thop of that, it was very likely that she would have to neglect some of the household work.

So just from a practical standpoint, I can see why married women would be expected to work only at their homes and not try to hold down a job outside of the home, too. But there are also just social conventions of the time and culture that we do not have now which also made this, I think, the "norm" back then.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:36 pm

I agree with you, Amy. It was the way of the world back then. Just think of the sunup to sundown effort of house chores back then. Can you imagine what it would be like if we had to wash laundry in a creek, wring it out by hand, hang it, then heat up an iron in the fire and then press the clothes? Ugh, my arms ache thinking about it. Not to mention how long everything took to cook and the uneven heat of the fireplace or cook stove.

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Yeah, I know & i do understand that. We have it much more easy then they did. I guess it did take them a lot longer to do things.Ya iam glad we don't have to wash clothes by hand. I think iam glad to have been born this time period,

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't see why any woman back then would even want to work outside of the home. I would be exhausted just by the time breakfast would be finished, probably! I'm so glad that I did not live back then, too, although I guess in 100 years, maybe people will say the same about us.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, I guess so. It's just get's me thinking. What's the point of women even going to college or school if they get married they have to quit cause they have house work and take care of theire men.I don't think ppl had a reason to complain they were bored back then. Laughing

Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Education has benefits outside of just earning a degree to get a job, though. A lot of people end up working in fields that they did not even earn their degree in. But I don't necessarily think all people need to go to college if they never intend to use what they learn. However, a good well-rounded college education can help you to become a more enlightened person and well-rounded yourself, so I don't think it is necessarily a waste of resources to go to college even if you end up not using the particulars of your education in a future job.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
Yeah, I guess so. It's just get's me thinking. What's the point of women even going to college or school if they get married they have to quit cause they have house work and take care of theire men.I don't think ppl had a reason to complain they were bored back then. Laughing

For women back then, there was a chance they wouldn't get married, and therefore, would need a way to support themselves.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Yup.I thats true.Just funny how times have really changed.

Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 pm

I loved this episode......

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:09 pm

I watched this yesterday.....it was very honorable for Almanzo wanting to support Laura.
You know what has always bothered me......? In the series Eliza Jane was an ugly spinster. But if you look at photos from real life she was actually quite attractive.
I loved how and where they were married. Laura's dress was very pretty.
I felt sad for Eliza Jane but agreed with what she did. I could only be so fortunate to have a sibling be that unselfish.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm happy Eliza Jane did what she did for Laura and Almanzo.
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Positive, you know what the word positive means? That means wrong at the top of your voice. loveheart
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Eliza Jane's heart was in the right place.Tho in the one espidoe She went a little to far.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes...I like what she did for his brother and for Laura, since she wanted them to be happy...But I , for one, I just CAN'T bear Harv... Ranting The way he used to spoke to Eliza Jane , gave her hopes about him being in love with she...and when he dated she just to tell she was great because she gave him courage to confess his love to another woman was just..awful! Huh? No

Poor E.J!

Vanesa.

wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I admire Caroline's role as a mother, especially in this particular episode. I really like the scene in the first part where she and Laura are in the loft, and Caroline knew just what to say to help Laura feel better. She was a great mom to all of her kids!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Vanesa wrote:
Yes...I like what she did for his brother and for Laura, since she wanted them to be happy...But I , for one, I just CAN'T bear Harv... Ranting The way he used to spoke to Eliza Jane , gave her hopes about him being in love with she...and when he dated she just to tell she was great because she gave him courage to confess his love to another woman was just..awful! Huh? No

Poor E.J!

Vanesa.

I agree, Vanesa. Even if he didn't realize it, he did lead her on.

Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:26 pm

When I posted about this episode yesterday, I forgot to mention Harriet Oleson.

"And my congratulations to Nellie and Percival, on the coming of their first child. It seems that just yesterday, Nellie was a baby, and now Harriet Oleson is going to be a grandmother." and then Harriet fainted, for the second time in the episode.

I almost felt bad for Harriet, that the news of Nellie's baby came as such an unexpected shock to her. But the moment of sorrow for Harriet passed quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   wilder - Laura Ingalls Wilder Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura Ingalls Wilder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next