Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

There's No Place Like Home

Go down 
+17
LauraIngallsfan
Toby
Deem714
julmer70
littlehouselover
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Vanesa
amyk
Krissy
jes9
Tiffanylm
bethandmanly
Docfan
Carol
HarrisonCrosby4387
Robinsgirl
Kristina
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Bokmal10

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 am

jes9 wrote:
Does anybody know why they moved the show to Winoka to begin with? Was it an experiment to freshen up the series? Did they plan to move it there permanently and decide to move it back to Walnut Grove when it seemed things weren't working out, or was the plan all along for the move to Winoka to be temporary?

I don't think the wanted to do Winoka a permanent home for the Ingallses. Maybe they thought that a little while in a noisy town would make the show more interesting, and that when the family and her friends should return to Walnut Grove, people wuld appreciate it in a much more special way.

Vanesa.

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 am

Vanesa wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
I never liked the Winoka episodes. It's unrealistic to think so much of the town would relocate in one place; and despite that they were able to meet Albert there and bring him home, it just didn't feel like LHOP will they were there.

Well, I don't like Winoka episodes, either, but there's a thing that is true about them: when there were difficulties in a region and people moved, they used to go on the same direction and find themselves living all very close to each other, or even in the same town! It doesn't seem possible but it really was. People used to go where there were opportunities to them. When I read Donald Zochert's bok about Laura's life I was amazed to find that this ...

Michael Landon took a lot of liberties on the show, and changed Laura's story very much, but he was surprisingly faithful to some particularities of it, like the massive nieghbors movings and some names he introduced to the storyline, like Dillon Hyde, among others.

Vanesa.

Very interesting, Vanesa. It has been years since I’ve read Zochert’s book. I had forgotten.

Vanesa wrote:
jes9 wrote:
Does anybody know why they moved the show to Winoka to begin with? Was it an experiment to freshen up the series? Did they plan to move it there permanently and decide to move it back to Walnut Grove when it seemed things weren't working out, or was the plan all along for the move to Winoka to be temporary?

I don't think the wanted to do Winoka a permanent home for the Ingallses. Maybe they thought that a little while in a noisy town would make the show more interesting, and that when the family and her friends should return to Walnut Grove, people wuld appreciate it in a much more special way.

Vanesa.

Well, you know the writer in me always likes to dissect why they might have decided to do things. When they went to California, it was a good way to write the Edwards family out of the show.

Karl Swenson (Mr. Hanson) was ill. I guess they could have written him out of the show easier, but having Walnut Grove die off for a while worked well too. Then I have to wonder about Melissa Sue Anderson. She was already nervous about her character going blind and thought they were writing her out of the show. By having the entire family move to Winoka, this allowed for Mary to be included in more of the episodes. I also feel that’s why they moved Mary and Adam back to Walnut Grove afterwards in the episode, Blind Journey.

After the fire at the blind school forced their relocation to Sleepy Eye, we saw very little of Mary and Adam. The focus turned even more toward Laura and her pursuit of Almanzo.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Tiffanylm wrote:
It's sad that Karl died so soon after this episode aired.

But I do love the scene when they are up the town and Nels has to force Nellie and Willie to help and then threaten Harriet with a item that they use to cut the tall grass. It was so funny.

lol.....I forgot about that.....I really loved those scenes

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm

My favorite scene is when they go back to the Little House and it's dusty and dirty and they start to clean it up..no matter what, "it's home".
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:07 am

I just watched this again last night, a Hallmark movie special, and it occurred to me that Laura started snoring when Albert came....Hmmm, maybe a subliminal way to get the loft her herself. : )
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 12:44 pm

I like the scene when immediately after going back to Walnut Grove, Carrie had to use the outhouse. Then, it fell over! I don't know what was funnier...Carrie just sitting on the toilet looking all confused, or Charles' hysterical laughter! His laughter cracked me up all the time! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Deem714
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 68
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Party010

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm

His laughter is definitely haunting... and contagious, that is for sure...

It seems that all Carrie can do is go to the potty.

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am

I haven't seen any LHOP since Hallmark took it off (don't get the other channel) I was talking about this episode with my daughter, how good it was to have them back "home". She asked about the animals...does anyone remember how they got the cows/chickens, etc. back?
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Karl Swenson died on October 8, 1978 and part two of this episode aired on October 16, 1978, so I've always wondered if Mr. Hanson was supposed to die in this episode or if the voice over about his death was added after he died in real life. The reason I wonder is because Dr. Baker made it sound like the stroke wasn't that bad and that the only reason Mr. Hanson wasn't getting better was because he had given up after the town died and refused to fight.
Back to top Go down
https://littlehousebluray.wordpress.com/
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 7:55 am

I just finished watching this 2 part episode last night. I thought it was really good! Part 2 was definitely my favorite of the two parts because they return to Walnut Grove. I didn't care for Winoka for the same reasons that the Ingalls didn't like it there. Like they said, there was no place like home! I loved the part where Charles went and asked Albert if he would come home with them.. I am glad he did. I also thought the part where Nels gets on Nellie and Willie and Harriet about getting to work.. that was really funny!

I thought it was strange how all of a sudden Laura starts to snore in her sleep as soon as Albert is there... those scenes were really funny!

I was glad that they all got back to Walnut Grove and I loved the scene where all of the townspeople started showing up at the school / church to help clean up the town. It was great when Lars Hanson gets up and looks out the window when the church bell is ringing, and then proceeds to go to church. I liked how he got to see that the town wasn't even close to being dead.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

Number of posts : 419
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 am

Why did they go to Winoka in the first place? Those episodes weren't great, but this one was good and reset the whole show - back to Walnut Grove and with Albert.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

I could be wrong, but I thought it was to be close to Mary. But I would have to agree, I didn't like Winoka much, when they went back to Walnut Grove they were back home!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Just noticed something funny when I re-watched this episode in the remastered form.... When Lars is walking to church in the end, as he passes by Jonathan, a fly lands on Jonathan's forehead! I didn't notice this with the non-remastered DVDs! HeeHee

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Jgarve10

Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 2:43 am

MankatoJoe wrote:
Why did they go to Winoka in the first place? Those episodes weren't great, but this one was good and reset the whole show - back to Walnut Grove and with Albert.

The dispute between the railroad and the Grange pretty much made it impossible for farmers in Walnut Grove to make a living, so they moved to Winoka to find work and be close to where Mary was teaching.
Back to top Go down
https://littlehousebluray.wordpress.com/
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 7:02 am

Nice Restored Scene From Part 2 - Right After Seeing Lars

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Theres10
home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Theres11
home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Theres12

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 7:48 am

That was a great scene, Dave! I saw it for the first time last night! Thumbsup

Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm watching part 2 in 9 hours at 6am.. how nice to get up to great television.

Think it was a truncated version on You Tube I first watched.
Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I saw Part 1 where Mary and Adam and the children from the Blind School sing a farewell song to Charles and the departing Walnut Grovers and I finally realized it was a song that that was a real song from the LIW songbook..."Keep the Horsehoe Hung Over the Door"....I love that songbook and I realized I didn't even recognize that the first time as a kid. So fun watching them over as a adult and seeing stuff I didn't notice before. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am

Toby wrote:
Karl Swenson died on October 8, 1978 and part two of this episode aired on October 16, 1978, so I've always wondered if Mr. Hanson was supposed to die in this episode or if the voice over about his death was added after he died in real life.  The reason I wonder is because Dr. Baker made it sound like the stroke wasn't that bad and that the only reason Mr. Hanson wasn't getting better was because he had given up after the town died and refused to fight.  

Blue This episode was on COZI TV this morning, and this is the trivia I found on Karl Swenson and the part he played of Lars Hanson......I'm not sure when the episode was actually taped, but he must have been healthy enough to tape it before having his heart attack later on...This had to have been a shock to all the cast members.

"Karl Swenson, the actor who played the towns founder Lars Hanson, died of a heart attack eight days before this episode aired*. At the end of this episode, there is a voice-over from Laura mentioning that Lars Hanson died four months later (which was likely related to the stroke Hanson had while the Ingalls were in Winoka). The episode, with Hanson dying, was completed prior to Swenson's death, so the voice-over of Hanson's death is purely coincidental."

* One day before part 1 aired on October 9, 1978 and 8 days before part 2 aired on October 16, 1978.

This trivia was also included:

"This episode had a run time longer than the usual one hour, without being a separate 'made for TV movie.' "

Part 1 was 49 minutes.....add commercials and it went for 1 hour.  Part 2 was 1 hour 14 minutes and running time with commercials was 1 1/2 hours long, making it a 2 1/2 hour show.

home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Rhonda10home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 am

I never liked the city episodes although when they went looking for gold, that was shorter and had a moral storyline about greed.

Winoka was always shown to be so awful, I felt, although I don't know historically how a city then would have been, it was drummed over our heads, "city bad, country good". I don't think you needed the constant fights, noise, and horrible people mixed in with an occasional good soul. It was okay for Charles later but I just wished they showed the "bad" with less of a heavy hand. Not everyone could farm and that didn't make them bad. Saloons were crazy, still are, but you didn't have to live above them.
I was glad they went, just to have the return show, one of my favorites, dusting off their furniture, cleaning and bringing "little house" back to it's fans.
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 27, 2017 2:48 pm

All that constant saloon tack piano music really pissed me off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There's No Place Like Home   home - There's No Place Like Home - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

There's No Place Like Home
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2