Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

child abuse?

Go down 
+14
Robinsgirl
LM
Kristina
carolineingalls
emilyanneoftheprairie
ChristinaAL
HarrisonCrosby4387
JW
Kathleen Marie
Amy
Lily
Vanesa
bethandmanly
Carol
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : child abuse? - Page 2 Love-s10

child abuse? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: child abuse?   child abuse? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Cheryl...maybe I"M wrong but wasn't that the Rev. Johnson on DQ? I remember the episode....she was really hard on those kids.

I can remember in Middle School it was okay for a teacher to paddle a student. They usually got three pops on the behind with another teacher present. We had a male math teacher that was really rough anyway, but those that pushed his buttons got paddled.
He told us that if he didn't bring a tear to our eye by the third pop, we could give him a paddling. No one was ever able to hold their tears.
Needless to say there wasn't too many kids that tried him. In some ways I wish we could bring that back. The schools have really lost respect for teachers, but parents have let their kids disrespect them at home too. Therefore the kids grow up as disrespectful , and whiny adults.

child abuse? - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : child abuse? - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: child abuse?   child abuse? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

I found that past of the episode disturbing.....he didn't just hit his son once or twice.......it was about 15 times...(I just saw the episode).
I agree it was abusive, but I suppose back then when big brother wasn't watching parents parented their children as they saw fit.
We even saw Mr Olsen grab his belt a few times for Nellie and Willie

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: child abuse?   child abuse? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Little house shows kids getting hit a lot, but Charles and Caroline never do. Caroline doesn't even like to raise her voice. In the books, I know Laura gets hit but Michael Landon didn't want to do that. The kids act like they are afraid of one sometimes but I've never seen more than a stern warning.
Andy gets hit (gladly in one episode) Little Charles gets hit in flashbacks, the Olson's kids get hit off camera, children only there for one show get hit...a bit much sometimes in contrast to the Ingall's who seem ahead of their time. : )

I remember that episode with the boy late home and I thought it was very disturbing for young children to watch...the sound was worse than seeing a fist fight.
You can kill a child beating it, even spanking, there was a case down South where the child died (shock and blood going to one area) but "abuse"wasn't used as it is today.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : child abuse? - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Abuse   child abuse? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:00 am

Gin wrote:
Cheryl...maybe I"M wrong but wasn't that the Rev. Johnson on DQ? I remember the episode....she was really hard on those kids.

I can remember in Middle School it was okay for a teacher to paddle a student. They usually got three pops on the behind with another teacher present. We had a male math teacher that was really rough anyway, but those that pushed his buttons got paddled.
He told us that if he didn't bring a tear to our eye by the third pop, we could give him a paddling. No one was ever able to hold their tears.
Needless to say there wasn't too many kids that tried him. In some ways I wish we could bring that back. The schools have really lost respect for teachers, but parents have let their kids disrespect them at home too. Therefore the kids grow up as disrespectful , and whiny adults.

Its a pretty simple premise. No consquences when you do wrong, you do what you please. In a nutshell, thats where we are today. If it doesn't begin at home, the Schools can't fix it. Not matter how many billions they they throw into education. Well said Gin!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: child abuse?   child abuse? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

child abuse?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Little House on the Prairie :: Episode Reviews :: SEASON 6-
Jump to: