Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

one of *those* days

Go down 
+5
HarrisonCrosby4387
bethandmanly
Savannah
Carol
ChristinaAL
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

one of *those* days Empty
PostSubject: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 7:15 pm

I hate posting a bunch of problems, LOL. I feel bad for whining, but I just need to vent. Today, one of the managers wasn't at work, so what happens? I get to stay late to get his work done. One thing was a report I never assembled myself, it was really confusing and I'm hoping it's right. I had to stay an extra hour and a half to do it. I get to do this at least 3 more times too, as this manager has taken off the days surrounding Christmas. (BTW, this is the same guy who sends me for his coffee).

I know sometimes working in a small office (or any office really!), requires you to do things you weren't necessarily *hired* to do. But this manager complains all the time about all the work he does and hours he works...and I'm discovering that almost everything he does, he passes off to me. My days at work that used to be boring are now very filled (from one extreme to the other), b/c the other assistant I was working with was moved to another position. So now I have to do both of our jobs in the hours I'm there (which is half the time, b/c we both did 25 hours a week), plus be pressured from this manager to do more.

I don't know if I want to do more - he's being paid more to do the work he does. He works a late shift, 11 - 8, so in reality he works a 40 hour week, just at a different time than most others, so I don't know why he complains about how much he works. I know maybe I shouldn't just be looking at the money perspective, but I just keep feeling how unfair it is that he gets paid much more than I do, but does hardly anything all day but pass his work off to me.

While I was working late, the owner of the company told me I can work full-time after my graduation (I can't right now, because I have 15 credits in the semester and work part-time here and part-time in the store with more flexible hours). I won't say he *offered* me a full-time position, b/c he didn't - all he asked was when I was graduating, then said, "Great, you'll be here full-time then right?" LOL. After the hours and work I put into this place now, I don't know if I want to work there full-time. (Aside from that, there are some moral issues about the company that I have problems with too, but that's a separate story). I was hoping to put my resume out and see if I had any options, but at the same time I feel like I'm needed here, so I feel obligated to stay, or maybe not look a gifthorse in the mouth and stay where it's familiar.

Then, I came home to take a final exam for a class online - only for the website to time out as I was attempting to access the test, after I sat waiting a half hour for it to load. The professor doesn't allow more than one attempt, so I emailed her frantically explaining my situation but I don't know whether she'll give me another chance. (I know it was the website, b/c I didn't have trouble accessing any others, like this for example).

It's just been one of those days :( Time to pull out my old LH tapes to cheer myself up. And thanks for letting me vent.

one of *those* days ChristinaKeeper2 one of *those* days 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : one of *those* days Happy010

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 7:43 pm

:alright: Oh, sorry to hear that Christina. Don't worry too much about the report... I'm sure you did what you could.

I know how you feel about feeling like you are needed there but maybe would want to work somewhere else... sometimes though you have to do what is best for you.

I hope things get better.

one of *those* days Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
one of *those* days Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : one of *those* days Happy010

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm

{{{Christina}}} Good grief! You have every reason to vent, sweetie! And you don't need to apologize about it for one second. That's what friends are for. Wanna come over for some fresh pie and a ridiculously silly movie? Cool

I'm praying for you, Christina. Regarding your resume.....you can always put it out there and see what happens. It can't hurt, and it may be a door that God uses to bless you with an amazing job.

Take care, and remember that you have people praying for you. {{{HUGS}}}
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : one of *those* days Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Vent away Christina. Sure sounds like a tough one. As far as being torn between putting your resume out there and feeling needed where you are, if your boss doesn't appreciate you now, what makes you think that will change if you are working more hours? It sounds like you are unhappy. So, I would still get my resume out there and see if you get some bites. It's not like you have to take another job if you don't like it.

I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : one of *those* days Happy011

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Aww, it's seems like you are in the same sitch I am at this job. I found a light at the end of the tunnel and you will too. Just hang in there. :snowball:

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 pm

:alright:

((Christina))
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

{{{HUGS}}} You have every right to vent, Christina. You need to get some of that stress off of your shoulders.

Job stress can be the worst, since it's something you have to face just about everyday.

I am hoping that your instructor is understanding about what happened and will let you take the test. That is something that you had no control over.

I hope your tomorrow is better.

one of *those* days PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : one of *those* days Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyMon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Don't apologize, Christina, you are here to hear you, and to support you if you feel bad for something. I do not blame you. I also had had one of those bad days...as I know ALL of us here have time to time.

Don't worry about that repport. I'm sure that things will turn good for you. For YOU are good and youi just deserves it! Thumbsup ☮

Vanesa.

one of *those* days Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 pm

awww, I'am sorry girl..Hope things work out for you..I think you should hand out other resumes to other jobs and see if u find one u will be happy with..mybe just stick this one out intill you find a job u looooove..Good luck with everything
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyTue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm

I hope you get to take your exam. There should be some allowance for computer gliches. I hope you find a job you really enjoy.

one of *those* days Lorike10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyWed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks, everyone, for letting me vent and for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it. I can't believe the week is half over already. My teacher did allow me to retake the exam, apparently other students had problems too, so that was a major relief. As far as my job, I am trying to "leave work at work" so I am not stressed about it once I leave anymore. This week I've been feeling a little physically sick from the stress - nausea and heartburn, at least I think it's from the stress. So I'm trying to not let myself get so caught up by it. I'm trying to tell myself that this is just temporary, that even if I do end up working there full-time after I graduate, it's only until I find a job I like better. I guess I just needed time to think about it. Thank you for your thoughts, kind words and prayers; they mean more to me than you'll ever know. {{hugs}}

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyThu Dec 20, 2007 9:50 am

Christina, I am so glad that your teacher did allow you to retake the exam. I know that was a huge relief for you.

That's the way I try to look at stress. Trying not to get caught up in it, especially things that you have no control over. I used to worry so much over everything, that I'd be a basketcase and worry that I was going to end up giving myself and ulcer or something. It was not a good way to live.

That's a good way to look at the job too, that it is temporary, until you are able to find something that suits you better.

I hope you feel better very soon!!

one of *those* days PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : one of *those* days Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyThu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 am

Christina, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this stress right now, especially at Christmas...and especially this Christmas, your first as an engaged woman! Wink

I don't blame you for being upset about all this. It's a good idea to get your resume out there...you need to feel passionate about the job you're doing and getting up every morning for, otherwise life will just bring you down. I hope you can find something else. And hey, in the meantime, feel free to vent to us anytime!one of *those* days Amour63

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days EmptyThu Dec 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks :) I am going to start looking into other available jobs in the area, maybe send my resume out in the spring when I'm finishing up school. I'm going to try to not let it overshadow my Christmas either, b/c I have so much to be thankful for.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: one of *those* days   one of *those* days Empty

Back to top Go down

one of *those* days
Page 1 of 1