Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher

Go down 
+8
Carol
Vanesa
Savannah
HarrisonCrosby4387
Farmer Girl
pamh36
Amy
Misti
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Happy010

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Empty
PostSubject: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 2:06 am

1888 photo depicts Helen Keller, teacher

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Helen

BOSTON (AP) -- Researchers have uncovered a rare photograph of a young Helen Keller with her teacher Anne Sullivan, nearly 120 years after it was taken on Cape Cod. The photograph, shot in July 1888 in Brewster, shows an 8-year-old Helen sitting outside in a light-colored dress, holding Sullivan's hand and cradling one of her beloved dolls.

Experts on Keller's life believe it could be the earliest photo of the two women together and the only one showing the blind and deaf child with a doll - the first word Sullivan spelled for Keller after they met in 1887 - according to the New England Historic Genealogical Society, which now has the photo.

"It's really one of the best images I've seen in a long, long time," said Helen Selsdon, an archivist at the American Foundation for the Blind, where Keller worked for more than 40 years. "This is just a huge visual addition to the history of Helen and Annie."

For more than a century, the photograph has belonged to the family of Thaxter Spencer, an 87-year-old man in Waltham.

Spencer's mother, Hope Thaxter Parks, often stayed at the Elijah Cobb House on Cape Cod during the summer as a child. In July 1888, she played with Keller, whose family had traveled from Tuscumbia, Ala., to vacation in Massachusetts.

Spencer, who doesn't know which of his relatives took the picture, told the society that his mother, four years younger than Helen, remembered Helen exploring her face with her hands.

In June, Spencer donated a large collection of photo albums, letters, diaries and other heirlooms to the genealogical society, which preserves artifacts from New England families for future research.

"I never thought much about it," Spencer said in a statement released by the society. "It just seemed like something no one would find very interesting." Spencer has recently been hospitalized and could not be reached for comment.

It wasn't until recently that staff at the society realized the photograph's significance. Advocates for the blind say they had never heard of it, though after they announced its discovery Wednesday they learned it had published in 1987 in a magazine on Cape Cod and a half-century earlier in The Boston Globe. It is unclear whether there was more than one copy of the photograph.

D. Brenton Simons, the society's president and CEO, said the photograph offers a glimpse of what was a very important time in Keller's life.

Sullivan was hired in 1887 to teach Keller, who had been left blind and deaf after an illness at the age of 1 1/2. With her new teacher, Keller learned language from words spelled manually into her hand. Not quite 7, the girl went from an angry, frustrated child without a way to communicate to an eager scholar.

While "doll" was the first word spelled into her hand, Helen finally comprehended the meaning of language a few weeks later with the word "water," as famously depicted in the film "The Miracle Worker." Sullivan stayed at her side until her death in 1936, and Keller became a world-famous author and humanitarian. She died in 1968.

Jan Seymour-Ford, a research librarian at the Perkins School for the Blind in Watertown, which both Sullivan and Keller attended, said she was moved to see how deeply connected the women were, even in 1888.

"The way Anne is gazing so intently at Helen, I think it's a beautiful portrait of the devotion that lasted between these two women all of Anne's life," Seymour-Ford said.

Selsdon said the photograph is valuable because it shows many elements of Keller's childhood: that devotion, Sullivan's push to teach Helen outdoors and Helen's attachment to her baby dolls, one of which was given to her upon Sullivan's arrival as her teacher.

"It's a beautiful composition," she said. "It's not even the individual elements. It's the fact that it has all of the components."

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Hummerphoto - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher MistiKeeperphoto - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Bookclub5photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 am

Misti, that is an amAzing picture!! Interesting story too. What a FIND, after all these years! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 pm

What a wonderful photo!! Thanks so much for sharing it. They are an amazing pair.

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 3:28 pm

I saw that on yahoo....it is really neat. I remember reading a book about Helen Keller when I was younger. Me and my mom have talked, too, about how HARD it must be to teach a child that can't hear, or one that can't see, but how is seems impossible to us to teach on that is both blind and deaf.

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Little
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Happy011

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 3:53 pm

Wow, that's really neat!

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 7:32 pm

That's such a cool article. I love history, and have always found the story of Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller extremely intriguing.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:09 pm

I must admit it seems very odd to me that a deaf and blind person could learn anything. I always felt amazed when reading about Helen Keller and her teacher Sullivan. Your finding is wonderful Misti...Thank you for posting it here. What a good teacher Miss Sullivan must be! :Gjob:

Vanesa.

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:15 pm

:CoolSign: Misti!

I love their story. I first heard about them in school, I have seen several versions of the movies and own the one with Melissa Gilbert as Helen.

Farmer Girl wrote:
Me and my mom have talked, too, about how HARD it must be to teach a child that can't hear, or one that can't see, but how is seems impossible to us to teach on that is both blind and deaf.

Yeah, can you imagine how AMAZING that magic moment was when Helen realized she was communicating? So awesome... Applause

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Horses10
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 1:05 am

Yep, I've seen the Anne Bancroft/Patty Duke version and the Patty Duke/Melissa Gilbert version. Loved them both. It gives me goosebumps, looking at that picture!

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Hummerphoto - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher MistiKeeperphoto - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Bookclub5photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Very cool picture! Thank you for sharing.

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher ChristinaKeeper2 photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:36 am

Carol wrote:
I have seen several versions of the movies and own the one with Melissa Gilbert as Helen.

Check out this 'dinner' scene from the movie. Man... what else can you do to teach a blind/mute person how to eat properly? That was sure something!

(Posted by Rudolfo4711)

BTW, I love Melissa's hair in this movie. That is the longest I have had my hair as well. I think that is the perfect long hair length, anything longer I tend to want to trim it lol. My aunt would always grab it and tell me she wanted me to give her some and a couple of people who sat behind me in school would play with it or do small braids lol

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Horses10
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 am

I have been wanting to see the version of the movie where Melissa Gilbert plays Helen. The only one I ever see played on tv is the version with Patty Duke, which is a very good version, but I haven't seen the Melissa Gilbert version since it originally aired. I was only 10 then!

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 2:45 pm

I checked the search to see if we had a thread about Helen Keller and here we are.  This came up on my facebook thread just a few minutes ago.
click here----> Helen learns to speak

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher MarilynKeeper photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Fascinating.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 am

That was interesting.

photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher   photo - 1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher Empty

Back to top Go down

1888 photo depicts Helen Keller & her teacher
Page 1 of 1