HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

Peanut Butter Recall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood :

PostSubject: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 pm

This is scary! I have a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter with the code beginning 2111, and we've been eating it!
bawling
ATLANTA - Consumers should throw away certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter after the spread was linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened almost 300 people around the country, ConAgra said.

Lids of jars produced by ConAgra Foods with a product code beginning "2111" can be returned to the company for a refund, the company said.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said Wednesday has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

ConAgra officials haven't said how much peanut butter is covered in the recall, which it called a precaution.

"We are working closely with the FDA to better understand its concerns, and we will take whatever additional measures are needed to ensure the safety, quality and wholesomeness of our products," spokesman Chris Kircher said.

CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first associated with peanut butter. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

About 20 percent of all the ill were hospitalized, and there were no deaths, Lynch said. About 85 percent of the infected people said they ate peanut butter, CDC officials said.

Salmonella infection is known each year to sicken about 40,000 people in the United States, according to the CDC. Salmonellosis, as the infection is known, kills about 600 people annually.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting.

The latest outbreak began in August, with no more than two cases reported each day, CDC officials said. Only in the past few days did investigators hone in on peanut butter as a source, Lynch said.

Other states reporting cases are Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

___

To get a refund, consumers should send lids and their names and addresses to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 57078, Irvine, CA 92619-7078. For more information, call 866-344-6970.

___

On the Net:

http://www.conagrafoods.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Oh Debbie!! You all haven't had any flu symptoms, have you? That IS scary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards

Number of posts : 9006
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:04 pm

That's Is Scary I agree i hope you don't get sick

Leukemia Awareness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8656
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Wow! No
I hope you don't have any symptoms Debbie... that's scary!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor

Number of posts : 19957
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:28 pm

I just had my son Jacob check our Great Value peanut butter and he said it has that code number on it. He also checked an empty jar that I just threw away the other day and says it has the same code number on it. We haven't had any symptoms from it, but it is scary to think it might be tainted......I wonder if it really is the peanut butter or something that was spread with it because they say they don't know how peanut butter could be tainted.......perhaps it was the jelly? No

CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2016-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Savannah
"Psalm 34"

Number of posts : 53815
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Oh my word, Rhonda! I'm glad that you and your family are okay, too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards

Number of posts : 9006
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:34 pm

No Kidding

Leukemia Awareness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:47 pm

I just threw a jar of Peter Pan away yesterday as well.. I went down to the recycle bin and there it was.... An empty jar with the code 2111. I had just made some no bake chocolate cookies yesterday and had to throw them all away.. So far nobody has been sick.. I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady

Number of posts : 2749

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Oh my gosh, we had a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter with that code too! I was shocked - I thought we had Jiffy peanut butter but when I saw this I went and checked too! The jar was about 3/4 full but my father just had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. So far nobody here has felt sick, but I'll be praying for everyone.

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter Recall   Today at 7:10 am

Back to top Go down

Peanut Butter Recall
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1