Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Little House Library

Go down 
+16
Honeybee
Robinsgirl
Tigru
Savannah
Rhonda
rana
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Wind
Vanesa
Gin
bethandmanly
JW
Debbie
Carol
ChristinaAL
LIWnut
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

book - Little House Library - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks Marilyn Thumbsup I'll put that on my list of books to get (that seems to forever be growing, LOL). I have some used books that I just bought really cheap that I have to read before I allow myself to buy anything new. :)

book - Little House Library - Page 4 ChristinaKeeper2 book - Little House Library - Page 4 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853
Mood : book - Little House Library - Page 4 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:55 am

I saw the LIW: Farm Journalist at a bookstore. I was tempted to buy it, but it said that a portion of the book has been printed in the "Little House in the Ozarks" and was curious as to how much of Farm Journalist is in LH in the Ozarks?

I also recently saw that there's a book about Nellie? Is that any good?

I see I never listed my books. :b Rereading this topic makes me want to do it. :D I don't have anything too exciting though.

Martha Series
LH in the Highlands HBDJ
Far Side of the Loch HBDJ
Down to the Bonny Glen HBDJ
Beyond the Heather Hills

Charlotte Years
LH in Boston Bay HBDJ
On Tide Mill Lane HBDJ

Caroline Years (my favorite of the extra years) all HB DJ
LH in Brookfield
Little Town at the Crossroads
Little Clearing in the Woods
On Top of Concord Hill
Across the Rolling River
Little City by the Lake
A Little House of Their Own

Laura Years (all HBDJ)
Little House in the Big Woods
LH on the Prairie
Farmer Boy
On the Banks of Plum Creek
On the Shores of Silver Lake (no DJ :( )
The Long Winter
These Happy Golden Years (would like to find a nicer copy)
The First Four Years
I also have the first five novels in a huge hardback with color photos.

Rose Years (all HB DJ)
LH on Rocky Ridge
Little Farm in the Ozarks
In the Land of the Big Apple
On the Other Side of the Hill
Little Town in the Ozarks
New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (would like to find a nicer copy)
On the Banks of the Bayou
Bachelor Girl

For other books I have:
The World of LH
Laura by Zochert
a reading guide plan for a classroom
the Cobblestone magazine featuring Laura
I Remember Laura (hb dj)
Little House in the Ozarks (hb dj)
Little House Cookbook (hb dj)
On the Way Home (hb dj)
West from Home (hb dj)
Rose Wilder Lane: Her Story (hb dj)
Young Pioneers (Hb dj)
LH Sampler
Old Town in Green Groves (hb dj)
Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography (hb dj)
Laura Ingals Wilder by William Anderson (hb dj)
The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder, a Pioneer Girl (hb)
LIW Country

I'd love to get a few more books... such as Dear Laura and The Little House Reader. I'd also like to get the last three extra series books in hardback.

I'm checking the sites someone listed to see if they have what I need. :)

I think it's a shame that they're dumbing down the extra series books. It makes me very angry. mad I first read the first two Little House books when I was six years old. How much younger do they expect kids to be to read the books?

book - Little House Library - Page 4 PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : book - Little House Library - Page 4 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:27 pm

LIWnut wrote:
ChristinaAL wrote:
LIWnut wrote:
Got a new book yesterday, Mary Ingalls On Her Own. It is a fictional account of what Mary's first days and months may have been like at the Iowa Blind College. It was very well written, in Laura's style. Although we don't know how her life may have played out, this book was written from accounts of life back then in the school's archives.
It was a good book.

That sounds like an interesting book, Marilyn. Who is the author? I'll have to look for it!

Mary Ingalls On Her Own by Elizabeth Kimmel Willard

Marilyn, would you like to review this book for my Laura's Little Houses blog?

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : book - Little House Library - Page 4 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:44 pm

bethandmanly wrote:

Sure, I can do that for you. It was a good book. I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days, ok?

book - Little House Library - Page 4 MarilynKeeper book - Little House Library - Page 4 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:35 am

LIWnut wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:

Sure, I can do that for you. It was a good book. I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days, ok?

Works for me man.

Back to top Go down
Tigru
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 4:57 pm

I'm getting jealous seeing all those books! In Dutch are only the first 10 books available... But we can buy here in Holland some other books in English...

So I only got

1. Het Kleine Huis in het Grote Bos - The Little House in the Big Woods (Little House in the Big Woods)
2. Het Kleine Huis op de Prairie - The Little House on the Prairie (Little House on the Prairie)
3. Het Kleine Huis aan de Rivier - The Little House on the River (On the Banks of Plum Creek)
4. De Grote Hoeve The Big Farmstead (Farmer Boy)
5. Het Kleine Huis aan het Zilvermeer - The Little House on the Silver Lake (On the Shores of Silver Lake)
6. De Lange Winter - The Long Winter (The Long Winter)
7. Stad op de Prairie - Town on the Prairie (Little Town on the Prairie)
8. Een huis voor Laura - A House for Laura (There Happy Golden Years)
9. De Vier Prairiejaren - The Four Prairieyears (The First Four Years)
10. Onderweg - On the way (On the Way Home)

Translate it first literally...

I also got a film edition from Little House on the Prairie in English and just recently I bought Laura's Album. That one is really beautifull!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kleinehuis.nl
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 6:24 pm

I got a new book in the mail today that I found on ebay. It is a stated 1st Edition of Old Home Town. Can't wait to read it. Unfortunatly, at the moment I am in the middle of the Love Comes Softly Series so Rose will have to wait awhile.

book - Little House Library - Page 4 MarilynKeeper book - Little House Library - Page 4 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : book - Little House Library - Page 4 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Congrats Marilyn Tell us how it is once you have read it

book - Little House Library - Page 4 Jacobk10book - Little House Library - Page 4 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi Marilyn! So is it a book written by Rose?

I just got Love Comes Softly through Paperback Swap. IMO it's her best and will become a classic.

book - Little House Library - Page 4 Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Holly, yes it is a book written by Rose. From what I hear, it is a fiction story written in a town similar to De Smet. Rose also wrote a book call Young Pioneers, which I have also. I haven't read it yet, maybe soon.
I just love Janette Oke. I met her once at our church camp. I live in Canada East and she is in Canada West in the same church denomination. The books about Clark and Marty are the best, I agree with you.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
book - Little House Library - Page 4 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 pm

That's great, Marilyn! I'm glad for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 9:09 pm

I'm excited for you too, Marilyn. :woohooo:
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm

LIWnut wrote:
I got a new book in the mail today that I found on ebay. It is a stated 1st Edition of Old Home Town. Can't wait to read it. Unfortunatly, at the moment I am in the middle of the Love Comes Softly Series so Rose will have to wait awhile.

I want this one by Rose too. You'll have to tell me how it is. Have fun reading it!

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 am

Marilyn, from what I gather, RWL books are not easy to come by! Our library doesn't have any and Paperback Swap doesn't either. But I know I've seen them in libraries before. I'd like to put one on my wish list at PaperBack Swap but I don't know which one is best. Could you suggest one?

How wonderful that you were able to meet Janette! I've read all of her older books and some of the newer ones. Her "real" life has encouraged me because she and her grown children have moved around a lot just like I have. Sometimes, that's just the way things work out. Even in her books, the parents and some of the children end up living so far from each other and they go many YEARS without seeing each other and the grandchildren! I remind myself that my situation could be worse; no phones, planes, e mail, digital cameras....

I'm wondering if Love Comes Softly was her best book because there was no dead line on it for her to meet. Even though I enjoyed the other books, they all needed to be put out on a certain schedule. I'm not meaning to sound critical, just curious about such things. :think:

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 am

Holly, if you go to amazon.com or half.com you can often find many. Especially if you search by title. Some sellers don't list the author, so the titles wouldn't appear if you search by author. (You might want to search by "Rose Wilder" if you do search by author..... Some people don't put the "Lane" in the description) A lot of her books aren't very hard to find. At least, not online. I keep my eyes open at used bookstores, too. Then when I find them, if I already have a copy, I pass it on to someone who can give it a good home. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am

And if you just wanted to borrow it from the library you can check the interlibrary loan system if your area has one. None of my local libraries had Rose's books, but I was able to borrow them from other libraries in Massachusetts. Only downside is they can't be renewed, so you have to finish them right away.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks for tips, girls.

Savannah, I'll try PS again with the name Wilder only.

Our Interlibrary loan system now costs $3.00 a book! I don't mean to sound cheap but it would have to be a book I KNOW I would like to pay to borrow it. grinsmiley

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 am

Yikes! That would get costly, as much as I use my interlibrary loan! You don't sound cheap at all, Holly. I completely agree.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : book - Little House Library - Page 4 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Oh I Saw the Book Old Home Town in the gift shop in walnut Grove forgot the Price though and i bought Young Pioneers on a Yard Sale But i have't read it yet
Have You Seen the Movie Young Pioneers Marilyn? My Mom Bought it after Searching for a Good Deal for a LONG time we borrow Young Pioneers once in mexico so we new we LOVED it now she bought it on Ebay for $14 and It's a VHS i know it sounds expensive but the Movie is worth it she needs the Young Pioneers Christmas Yet but we have't seen that one yet so i'm not sure if it would be good

book - Little House Library - Page 4 Jacobk10book - Little House Library - Page 4 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for the links, Marilyn. Would those 2 books be your favorites? If not... Okay, everyone, out of all the RWL books you've read, which one would be your favorite?

Ooops! Is this what "they" call hijacking?

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 pm

Holly, I haven't read either one of them. I started to read Young Pioneers but got sidetracked. It is fiction but from what I remember, it sounded a lot like Laura and Almanzo's first days of marriage, with different names for the characters.
Jacob, I have never seen the movies. I didn't realize that they had been made into movies. I'll have to look for them.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:36 pm

I've read "Let the Hurricane Roar" and "Free Land". I much preferred Hurricane because it has that optimism that I so enjoyed in Laura's books. Free Land was too realistic, meaning it portrayed the hardships that the pioneers faced, but David Beaton and his wife are unhappy and suffering most of the time.

I have reviews of both books at my blog http://lauralittlehouseontheprairie.blogspot.com/ If you put Rose Wilder Lane in the search box or go down to my labels and click on her name you'll get to read more of my thoughts on each.

And Marilyn, Blanche Hanalis, who is credited as being responsible for adapting the Little House books for Michael Landon's show is also credited as the writer of the Young Pioneer movies.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks girls! I read a little bit of one of her books... It seemed to be about the grasshopper plague. The man in the book was angry and cussing and I thought, Hmmmm I think I'll stick to Laura's books. grinsmiley Maybe that was Free Land.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 am

Yeah, I wasn't as impressed, overall, with RWL's writing style. I haven't collected her books, because I didn't really care for them. BUT, I buy them at used book stores (UBSs grinsmiley ) and yard sales, because I know that there are others who do want them.

(And, quite honestly, I wouldn't pay $3.00 to read one. Whistle But, that's just me. )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little House Library   book - Little House Library - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Little House Library
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next