HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

"JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8656
Mood :

PostSubject: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:01 am

“JOURNEY IN THE SPRING”

Charles' father, Lansford Ingalls, doesn't want to live after his wife dies. Charles brings his father to Walnut Grove to help him out. When Laura's horse gets hurt, she blames her grandpa. Lansford leaves because he feels really bad. Once Laura realizes that her grandpa wasn't to blame for the accident, she looks for Lansford and convinces him to come back home.

(Posted by dannyboy211)

This is one of my favorite episodes, although I prefer part 2 over part 1. I love the relationship Laura has with her grandfather. Here is where we see Bunny die bawling It's so sad when Laura hears the gunshot from far away...
I also love the part where she goes and looks for her grandpa at the train station. Great episode.

Last edited by Carol on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 am

This one is another of my favorites. I like all of the Bunny episodes. The scene where Laura pauses when she hears the gun shot is one of my favorites -- Laura expresses the perfect emotions for the moment (a mix of sadness and anger) without saying a word. Melissa Gilbert really had a knack for portraying the emotions called for in a scene, even when not speaking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7227
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 am

I love this episode, though I have a tough time with Bunny dying. It's also different to see Charles in a role as a son, not the father. Michael did an excellent job with this.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler

Number of posts : 895
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 pm

So, I was watching this today. I said it before, and I will say it again. How could Michael Landon not have been nominated for this performance? The moment when he reads that his mother has died, and his reaction to the news, is so heartbreaking and pitiful. He is almost child-like in response and it kills me to watch that everytime. As far as I am concerned, those few seconds that he has there is one the best performances in TV history. Very good episode and great performance by ML!

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 5178
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:42 pm

MissOleson wrote:
So, I was watching this today. I said it before, and I will say it again. How could Michael Landon not have been nominated for this performance? The moment when he reads that his mother has died, and his reaction to the news, is so heartbreaking and pitiful. He is almost child-like in response and it kills me to watch that everytime. As far as I am concerned, those few seconds that he has there is one the best performances in TV history. Very good episode and great performance by ML!

I agree. He did a great acting job there. I do not watch this epie more often just for his reaction to the news of his mother's death brokes my heart t pieces every single time I reach this part. bawling

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jacintapichimahuida.obolog.com
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler

Number of posts : 895
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Vanesa wrote:
MissOleson wrote:

I agree. He did a great acting job there. I do not watch this epie more often just for his reaction to the news of his mother's death brokes my heart t pieces every single time I reach this part. bawling

Vanesa.
I know. Isn't it terrible? It was a while since I watched this episode. Then I watched the DVD of it. I even replayed it because I thought his small performance there was so good. So when it was on yesterday I made my mother watch it, too, because I wanted her to see what I had been talking about. I will admit to having gotten teary-eyed again. Then when I looked at my mother, she had tears, too.
Watch the first 50 seconds and you will see what we are talking about.

bawling

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37837
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:58 am

This was like a bitter-sweet esp.touching.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buttercup
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 3349
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 pm

So sad to see Charles, hearing his mother passing away. I like part 2 better in this episode.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 37837
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:55 pm

This is a sad one.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1014

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I thought Charles did a touching job with expressing his sadness over his mother's death and his feelings for his father. What I didn't like, (and there were many dark moments in LHOP) was the father trying to burn himself alive in his home....a bit upsetting to watch, an awful way to die and not a legacy to leave your family.

Michael seemed to have a fascination with being blind and fire. So many homes and barns burned over the years but this was upsetting to me because he wanted to kill himself and didn't care about his children enough or grandchildren. Hard to understand as a child.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner

Number of posts : 1234
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Michael and Melissa did outstanding work in the episode. Charles should have made sure Laura was far away enough to where she couldn't hear him shoot Bunny. Michael Landon should have won an emmy for his great acting performances. It's sad he never won any awards for his outstanding acting. He played emotions well. I will always admire him and the shows he did. There will never be anyone like him. His daughter Jennifer inherited his acting genes. She's a great actress. Awesome that she won 3 daytime emmys for the role she played on As The World Turns. I miss that daytime drama.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I just watched this episode and I will never forgive Michael Landon for writing Bunny out of the series like this. Why does Bunny have to be severely hurt in an tragic accident and have to be killed? Especially after that big emotional race between Laura and Nellie a few episodes before. Why couldn't there just be a black horse on the Ingalls' farm forever?

At least it didn't happen in the books. Bunny went with Mr Hanson along with the mustangs.
It's an eye squirter allright, I can't even watch the scene with Bunny, I fast forward it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"

Number of posts : 7914
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I just watched this episode yesterday. There were parts that I didn't like as much, like when the grandma died, and when Bunny died, but overall I thought it was a good episode. Like other posters have mentioned, I thought that the acting was very good in this episode, especially from Charles and Laura. When Charles read the letter from his dad that said his mom had died, his acting was about as real as it can get.

Part 2 was definitely my favorite of the two parts. I enjoyed the part where Isaiah sat down in the tree and talked to Laura... and where she said she was going to go tell grandpa sorry. But my favorite part of all was the ending when Laura had gone and found her grandpa at the train station. I love how she uses the same tactics that the grandpa had used on Charles in the earlier flashback to get him to come home with here. She really thought that whole acting of going to run away to Boston up on the fly! I also loved the part where Charles and Isaiah found Laura and grandpa walking home.... perfect ending!

"That would be a fate worse than death." - Sara Stanley - Road to Avonlea

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"   Today at 7:30 am

Back to top Go down

"JOURNEY IN THE SPRING"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1