Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

End credits with Laura

Go down 
+9
Savannah
Teresa
Carol
JW
Amy
Lori
Rob
bethandmanly
Joe
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Innoce10

laura - End credits with Laura Empty
PostSubject: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 pm

When I was a child watching the show I always thought it funny that Laura was pretending to be an airplane as she was running down the hill. Only later did I realize that she wasn't a prescient future-seer but just a kid pretending to be a bird.
Anyone else think that or is this just more confirmation that I'm a loon?

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

laura - End credits with Laura Pbucket
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:22 pm

No, other people thought that too. I think Melissa Gilbert actually addressed that at some point because enough people mentioned it. I honestly didn't give it any thought. See how observant I am. LOL!

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:08 am

Wasn't there a story that Michael Landon, or someone, sat down with Melissa after filming that opening sequence and asked her exactly WHAT she was trying to imitate? And when she said a bird, they decided to keep the opening as it was.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am

Oh, maybe. I really don't remember, I just know that it's come up before.

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 pm

I believe they wanted to reshoot because they thought Melissa was imitating an airplane. Michael asked her if she was a bird or an airplane, and she said bird since she wanted to be done because there were a lot of bees around.

laura - End credits with Laura Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 6:57 pm

Oh that's right! I remember Melissa saying something about bees.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm

silent-partner wrote:
When I was a child watching the show I always thought it funny that Laura was pretending to be an airplane as she was running down the hill. Only later did I realize that she wasn't a prescient future-seer but just a kid pretending to be a bird.
Anyone else think that or is this just more confirmation that I'm a loon?

You're not alone...I definitely thought "airplane" when she did that and not "bird". LOL!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Happy011

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm

I never thought of that she was trying to be a Air Plane i heard on Melissa Gilbert Say Something about it on her Interview but before that i never thought of it

laura - End credits with Laura Jacobk10laura - End credits with Laura Jacob210
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:27 pm

JW wrote:
I never thought of that she was trying to be a Air Plane i heard on Melissa Gilbert Say Something about it on her Interview but before that i never thought of it

I'm glad it's not just me then. We can be unobservant together, Jacob.

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Happy010

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:10 am

It would have helped if she would have flapped here "wings" a little Laughing

laura - End credits with Laura Horses10
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:16 am

I guess I never thought about it either. I just thought she was running down the hill being goofy. I didn't think airplane or bird.

laura - End credits with Laura TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
laura - End credits with Laura Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 am

bethandmanly wrote:
JW wrote:

I didn't think that she was trying to be anything. laura - End credits with Laura 56673 I just thought that she was running downhill with her arms stretched out. So I guess I join the "Not Observant Club", too.

I remember her saying something about there being bees all over the place when they were filming that, though.....And right after they filmed it, Michael asked her if she had been pretending to be a bird or a plane when she was doing that, because one of the set assistants pointed out that it looked like she was pretending to be a plane. He told her that if she was being a plane, they'd have to re-film it, because planes weren't around when Laura was little....and Melissa said that she thought about those bees and, "I told him I was a bird". So who knows. laura - End credits with Laura 687159
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : laura - End credits with Laura Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Savannah wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
JW wrote:

I didn't think that she was trying to be anything. laura - End credits with Laura 56673 I just thought that she was running downhill with her arms stretched out. So I guess I join the "Not Observant Club", too.

Add me to the list!!!!

laura - End credits with Laura MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 pm

When I was a kid, I just thought she was being silly and clowning around and didn't really think of her trying to be either a bird or an airplane. But I do remember reading here or elsewhere what others have already mentioned. Another thing I remember reading somewhere is that they had to reshoot it several times because Melissa kept running too fast and running past the camera. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the leap at the end was a kind of celebration, like, "Yeah! I finally did it right!" I guess running down that hill was more difficult than it looked. I guess that's evident from watching the opening credits with Carrie falling flat on her face. I believe it was Sidney Greenbush who took the tumble, BTW.

laura - End credits with Laura JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
CoriSCapnSkip
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 am

Just joined this board (rejoined the group after a long absence) so coming in late, but you are not alone. As a kid I made the selfsame remark and was surprised they had used the footage, until my mom pointed out that "birds have always been around." Mom can be pretty sharp sometimes. Melissa/Laura was obviously imitating a soaring/gliding bird more than a flapping one, and there are plenty such to be seen on the prairie. Bliss
Back to top Go down
Emeritus22
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: End Credits    laura - End credits with Laura EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 6:15 pm

I believe Melissa was being an airplane and full of it when she said "bird". She just didn't want to do it again. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: End credits with Laura   laura - End credits with Laura Empty

Back to top Go down

End credits with Laura
Page 1 of 1