Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Little House Sites Have You Seen?

Go down 
+10
JW
Tiffanylm
Vanesa
Rhonda
Gin
HarrisonCrosby4387
LIWnut
Rob
bethandmanly
MissOleson
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am

There's not much to do there, but I'm glad I went. There wasn't much in that area of Kansas except large farms. It seemed like you could drive for miles without seeing a house, which was different from Ohio. It makes you feel kind of lonely, so I can imagine how Ma must have felt having left her family to come to that area when even fewer people lived there. I had always wondered when reading Little House on the Prairie how Ma was able to help with the logs for the cabin. But after visiting the Kansas site, I could see that the trees in that area are really small in diameter as compared to those in Ohio so she could have easily helped.

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 am

That's interesting Lori. I've driven through Kansas and loved the rolling hills. I didn't find it boring, but I'm sure it was different than the Big Woods. I'm sure just survival took up most of Ma's time. There wouldn't have been time to think too much about it. Well, maybe when those grasshoppers came....... bawling

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 2:13 pm

I got lost while looking for the home in Kansas. It was a little ridiculous. I don't know if I am just stupid, but I couldn't find my way there! Eventually I called the location for directions from where we were. The woman felt so bad - it was almost funny - because I was so far from the site. I don't know how I ever managed to drive so far from where I needed to be! Ooops

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Gin wrote:
That's interesting Lori. I've driven through Kansas and loved the rolling hills. I didn't find it boring, but I'm sure it was different than the Big Woods. I'm sure just survival took up most of Ma's time. There wouldn't have been time to think too much about it. Well, maybe when those grasshoppers came....... bawling

I think that we sees things differently than peple from back then. Laura , for example, didn't feel lonely in Kansas. She was hooked by the endless prairie. I can easily relate to her, since the region that surrounds big city of Buenos Aires (where I live and was born) is those of the Pampas, that is a prairie land too. There are really big farms and you can't see any houses from the car. Yo feels REALLY alone, but far from being boring, I find it quite exciting. It feels WILD, and living in a big city of more of 13 millions of people I like to be in a wild, lonely place! greenS I admit that I like much more other parts of my country where you can find high mountains and lakes, and snow (Patagonia) or other regions with beatiful rivers and a lot of trees (littoral one) or places with beachs and cold wind and beatiful hills close t the sea...But Pampa (prairie), it's great too, and makes me feel really happy when I can visit it.

Hey, Gin...I remember that the grassophers come when the Ingallses were living at Plum Creek. I may be wrong but I think they were no longer living in Kansas.. scratchead

Vanesa.

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
I Love Dean
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
I Love Dean

Number of posts : 329
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:12 am

Yes Vanesa the grasshopper plague was while they were living in Walnut Grove. Laura talked about them lying so thick in Plum creek you could have walked across them. Can you imagine??

I've been very fortunate, within the past two years I have visited Walnut Grove, DeSmet, Burr Oak Iowa, Mansfield Missouri and Independence Kansas. Embarrassing enough living here in Wisconsin, I have yet to see Pepin. ShyGirl

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Dd4
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I Love Dean wrote:
Embarrassing enough living here in Wisconsin, I have yet to see Pepin. ShyGirl
That is how I felt about it. Excluding Malone, I saw everything else first. That was a little ridiculous! Smile There were the few places that I went to around where I live, and then I went up north to the gravesites of Charles' parents. And THEN I eventually went to Pepin! I don't really know why it took me so long! scratchead

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 pm

I Love Dean wrote:
I've been very fortunate, within the past two years I have visited Walnut Grove, DeSmet, Burr Oak Iowa, Mansfield Missouri and Independence Kansas. Embarrassing enough living here in Wisconsin, I have yet to see Pepin. ShyGirl
And I was fortunate to have seen them all with you. But I've been to Pepin as well. All of these sites, Lorrie and I travelled with a real Ingalls, a relative of Laura. We kinda got the royal treatment. It was so much fun.

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 MarilynKeeper House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 7:25 pm

LIWnut wrote:
I Love Dean wrote:
And I was fortunate to have seen them all with you. But I've been to Pepin as well. All of these sites, Lorrie and I travelled with a real Ingalls, a relative of Laura. We kinda got the royal treatment. It was so much fun.

"I'm feeling the jealousies again"

LOL

Who was the real Ingalls? That must have been a real privilege!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Lorrie and I have a friend who is related to Laura. Her grandfather was Laura's first cousin. Her great grandfather was Hiram, Charles' brother. And yes, it is a real privilege to know her and travel to Laura's homes with her. We have tons of fun.

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 MarilynKeeper House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 pm

LIWnut wrote:
Lorrie and I have a friend who is related to Laura. Her grandfather was Laura's first cousin. Her great grandfather was Hiram, Charles' brother. And yes, it is a real privilege to know her and travel to Laura's homes with her. We have tons of fun.

ts ts ts will have to meet her IF we come to the USA...
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Well, travelling thourough the "Ingalls paths" with an Ingalls relative is certainly a privilege! Yes, I'm pretty jealous of you! Ooops

Vanesa. greenS

House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Little House Sites Have You Seen?   House - What Little House Sites Have You Seen? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Little House Sites Have You Seen?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2