HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

“Mister, that's an awfully boring tattoo on your arm."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker

Number of posts : 8657
Mood :

PostSubject: “Mister, that's an awfully boring tattoo on your arm."   Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Today, my boss to me to a Rotary lunch and they had this speaker. His name is Edward Boersma. He talked about a book that he wrote, called "Courage Born of Faith" He was born in the 1930s... in the Netherlands. He was around 10 yrs old during WWII and his parents helped a lot of people during the war by hiding them (Remember Anne Frank). His parents are gone now but he wrote the book because he wanted to tell his story and his parents' story. It was very interesting. I bought his book at the end of the presentation and had him sign it. Looking forward to reading it. reader

My first experience in meeting someone who was in a concentration camp was during 7th grade when we read a book called "The Cage"
This lady came to the class and we saw the tattoo on her arm and I just remember making a big impression on me. Later in life (about 3 years ago) I met a man who despised Jews and blamed the problems of the world on the Jews, said the Holocaust was a story. Needless to say I got upset with him.

Anyway, what experiences have you had regarding this topic?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myworldthroughthelens.smugmug.com/
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva

Number of posts : 7230
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: “Mister, that's an awfully boring tattoo on your arm."   Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 am

My stepmother's grandparents were in concentration camps. They both lived to be over 100. I guess if that kind of stuff doesn't kill you, not much will.

Other than that, I can't say I've really had much experience with anyone. I loved the movie Schindler's List. It was tough to watch, but it's amazing what Schindler did.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ccmalandrinos.com/

“Mister, that's an awfully boring tattoo on your arm."
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1