Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Little House costuming

Go down 
+6
Krissy
Honeybee
bethandmanly
Rhonda
Savannah
Amy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Little House costuming Love-s10

Little House costuming Empty
PostSubject: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I stumbled across this blog when I was searching for my LH avatar. It's an interesting article about vintage costuming, featuring Caroline, so I figured I'd share! (It's neat for Sound of music fans too. Wink ).

http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=127
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Little House costuming Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Little House costuming Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 pm

I love that! Did you see the Anne of Green Gables-inspired costume?

Little House costuming Edwardian-outfit

And re The Sound of Music, I actually have a dress almost exactly like this next one - only mine is in shades of lavender:
Little House costuming Marias-blue-chiffon-dress-sound-of-music

Thanks for the site, Amy!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Little House costuming Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:51 pm

How cool is that? I know KG had many outfits to wear and of course the pioneer women didn't have but a few....but that was fun reading and the pics were cool too.... Thumbsup

Little House costuming Rhonda10Little House costuming Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Savannah wrote:
I love that! Did you see the Anne of Green Gables-inspired costume?

Little House costuming Edwardian-outfit

I was born in the wrong era....... thud

Little House costuming Rhonda10Little House costuming Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Rhonda wrote:

I was born in the wrong era....... Little House costuming 184143

Little House costuming 440956 Except, perhaps, during heatwaves? Beautiful, though, isn't it? I'd love some Edwardian costumes - well, even just one. But I haven't had the time to make one.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Little House costuming Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:30 am

These are really beautiful.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:09 am

I love the dresses. Thanks for the site. I read it.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Rhonda wrote:
I was born in the wrong era.......thud

You and me both Rhonda. Wink But yep, I'm with Savannah....I DO like my central air. batEyes

I LOVE that dress, Savannah. (And the hydrangea bush backdrop. Smile) And the Julie Andrews 'similar' dress that you have is so classic...do you wear it? I'll bet the lavendar is beautiful on you!!

Glad everyone enjoyed the link! It really is pretty neat!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Little House costuming Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 pm

very pretty...........

yeah,during that heat wave how did women do it.with wearing long skirts/

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Amy wrote:
I LOVE that dress, Savannah. (And the hydrangea bush backdrop. Little House costuming 811339)

Isn't that hydrangea gorgeous? If I had more space, I'd love to plant some hydrangeas and hibiscus, too. And I may just buy a pattern for a vintage dress something like that. We have old fashioned days at church once in a while, and that would be fun to have.

Amy wrote:
And the Julie Andrews 'similar' dress that you have is so classic...do you wear it? I'll bet the lavendar is beautiful on you!!

Little House costuming 688644 Thank you! And yes, I do wear it. (It's funny, one of the ladies at church calls me "Laurel" when I wear it. She said that I remind her of a character in one of her favorite books {or movie?} in that dress. Little House costuming 440956 ) When I made mine, though, I added a white crocheted lace collar, and a small mother of pearl button. The belt is also a little more narrow, but not a lot. If I can find the pattern, I'll show you the picture on the cover. It's such a cool pattern!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Here it is, Amy!:

Little House costuming S9360

I made the one on the left.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Loved the site and the dresses. I wish I culd have one of these vintage paterns to make me a beatiful pioneer dress. But my favorite ones are the Belle.Epoque dresses (Anne of Green Gables) ...they are soooo romantic! Love Cloud 9

Vanesa.

Little House costuming Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Ah, that's lovely! yes I am so envious that you can sew, Savanah!! My mom tried to teach me...I made a few things in my early 20's, when Brendan was little, for him and for me. But then I stopped and totally got out of it. Nowadays patterns and material are so darn expensive, you might as well buy the clothing! Yikes But vintage clothing would be fun to make.....if I knew how! Wink

Krissy, I really do wonder how women managed back then, with the labor they did, out in the hot sun, not allowed to bare any skin. It kind of makes me ashamed to even complain about the heat. We are so spoiled!

Vanesa, those are my favorite too. Thumbsup I'm with Savannah...I just love the Edwardian period. If I could go back in time, I think that would have been the era. Love
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : Little House costuming Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:03 am

Yes they are lovely pictures, Amy.. Thanks!!!!! grinsmiley

Leaves Little House costuming RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 11:01 pm

This woman recently posted that she now owns the white dress that Caroline wore in the episode, "At the End of the Rainbow," where Laura and a friend think they have found gold. You can read about it at http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=2774

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:02 am

That dress was so pretty, you could use it as a wedding dress. Thanks for sharing.

I remember reading that interview with Mr. McCray and it was sad to hear about the fire, he had wanted to keep everything safe. He did save the figurine and it seems the violin, Laura's dress, Mr Edward's hat/boots, Doc Bakers bag, were saved or kept by the actors. I don't think they realized at the time, how popular those things would be later or maybe more actors would have taken things.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
This woman recently posted that she now owns the white dress that Caroline wore in the episode, "At the End of the Rainbow," where Laura and a friend think they have found gold. You can read about it at http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog/?p=2774

So, these costumes were SOLD...Interesting! I don't have the inmpression that the people who was writiing and directing the show back then were aware of how truly popular it should become thourough decades to follow...all these items are now little jewels.

Vanesa. Smile

Little House costuming Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 am

I'm not sure the rules about costumes, but if Mr. Landon or whomever was in charge, said, "Take what you want" and the sentiment for some w asn't there years later, I think they would be surprised what some fans would pay to have "Pas' hat or pipe" "Laura's good dress" or the star from "Christmas at Plum Creek".
I'm shocked what people pay for things now on Ebay, auctions, etc. I don't doubt some bids would be high.

I remember YEARS ago, watching General Hospital and a charity had an auction for props. My boss at the time told me about it although we were a coast apart and I "paper-bidded" on a jacket by actor John Reilly on the show which he was shot in. I got it and it wasn't over 60.00 at the time..I think it wasn't as well advertised or everyone was bidding on "Luke and Laura" stuff. I laughed when it came with "fake blood" and a tiny hole where he was "shot". It was a great cloth bomber style jacket and when I finally washed it (husband insisted) he wore it for many years.
A similar idea might have raised a lot of money back then.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Karen wore pretty dresses on the show. Melissa G wore pretty dresses on the show as well.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Little House costuming Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 am

love the anne of green gables one.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little House costuming   Little House costuming Empty

Back to top Go down

Little House costuming
Page 1 of 1