Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Erin

Go down 
+9
pamh36
Honeybee
Teresa
Rhonda
Vanesa
alexczarn
Rob
Savannah
Lori
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am

Please pray for Erin as she starts school on Tuesday. She is going to new school this year after being homeschooled since 4th grade. She will be in 10th grade, and the work will be tough for her. Ninth grade didn't go as well as I had hoped so I kind of got burned out with the homeschooling and really wanted her to go to school this year. We heard about a small Christian school that several have told us they think would be good for her so that is where she will be going. We had some testing done on her in the spring, and although we didn't find out too much new information, we found out that she is only in the 2nd percentile for processing and 3rd percentile for visual memory. Despite that she does test at grade level which seemed to really surprise the psychologist. But being low in those two areas certainly make school hard for her, especially history and science where you need to memorize a lot of facts. Please pray that she will be able to adjust to schedule, do the work, and be accepted by the other kids.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Erin Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Erin Happy010

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 am

I'll be praying for her. You might look into some books/videos through the library that offer tips on improving memorization skills. Mnemonic techniques might help her out. I'm really impressed that she tested at grade level despite having such difficulties in processing and visual memorization! That's quite an achievement for her and a powerful statement about your teaching skills, Lori. Erin 39447
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Erin Goodsi10

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am

Prayers going out for Erin, Lori.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Thank you, Rob and Savannah. Savannah, I think the curriculum we used should get the credit instead of me. She was tested in 4 areas, and she was right a grade level in one area and above in two. Reading comprehension was her lowest, but still within the acceptable range. I did find some games online for visual memory that she has tried. The doctor gave some tips so hopefully those will work. She thought the lectures should be recorded so Erin could listen to them later. They said at the school that they were going to try video streaming some of the classes so if they do, Erin can watch the class again without having to take a recorder to class. She really doesn't want to do that since she thinks the kids will wonder why she is doing it. I really do need to check out the library. I've gotten used to just using the internet that I forgot about it since I don't like the library here like I did in Bowling Green.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:13 pm

All the best for Erin.

Erin Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Erin Bokmal10

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Praying for Erin. Starting school could be hard for children, specially is they are not used to it. But don't worry. Things will turn OK for Erin. Thumbsup

Vanesa.

Erin Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Erin Purple2

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm

My sister needed the "hands on" kind of teaching.....she didn't realize this, nor my parents until she was 40 and went back to college.....she carried a small recorder with her and it helped because she could pay attention and watch what was being put on the board and being explained, then go home and listen more closely to what had been said......I would make sure her teachers know what is going on, they could put her up front and she could record what what being said, (or have the teacher hit the record button when he starts) and she could have it after class....There area laways ways to get around things such as this and when a teacher knows what is going on, they can watch the other kids to make sure no teasing is going on......Good Luck to Erin! Thumbsup

Erin Rhonda10Erin Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Lori, Erin will be in my prayers. Let us know how she likes her first day of school.

Erin TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I'll being praying for Erin. I hope she does well in a Christian School.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 pm

I'll be praying for Erin.

Erin PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Thank you, everyone. Rhonda, we had a meeting with the school, and they are supposed to let the teachers know. Sitting in the front row was one of the doctor's suggestions so they will definitely put her there. That shouldn't be hard since there are only 8 or 9 in her class.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:23 am

Rhonda wrote:
My sister needed the "hands on" kind of teaching.....she didn't realize this, nor my parents until she was 40 and went back to college.....she carried a small recorder with her and it helped because she could pay attention and watch what was being put on the board and being explained, then go home and listen more closely to what had been said......I would make sure her teachers know what is going on, they could put her up front and she could record what what being said, (or have the teacher hit the record button when he starts) and she could have it after class....There area laways ways to get around things such as this and when a teacher knows what is going on, they can watch the other kids to make sure no teasing is going on......Good Luck to Erin! Thumbsup

What a great advice, Rhonda! You always have the right advice to every situation. Thumbsup

Vanesa.

Erin Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Erin Love-s10

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 am

Lori, I can imagine how nervous you are. I will be praying that Erin adjusts well and makes friends easily. I'm sure you would love to be a little fly on the wall tomorrow! I know that feeling! Erin 771460 Does she know anyone there yet?

You know, this reminds me, I befriended a 'new girl' in 10th grade. She came from another state and I just sensed that she was alone and needed someone to cling onto. She became one of my best friends. Really, all you need to survive high school is just that ONE friend, you know? More are nice, of course, and she did make more friendships as time went on, but as long as Erin finds one friend to connect with soon, she'll do just fine. Erin 185146 Is she involved in sports? Do they have a choir or anything she can join? That would help too---sometimes it's the extra-curricular stuff that help form bonds more easily.

My immediate thought was Rhonda's, when I read you were worried about the recorder, that maybe if it was the teacher's responsibility to handle the recorder, it wouldn't be as noticeable. I know I'd do anything to help a kid out like that, if I were a teacher.

Hope all goes well Lori....keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 2:58 pm

I'll be praying for Erin. Kids tend to adjust better than we do, so I hope she does well.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm

I was thinking about her all day. She made it through the day just fine. She liked the kids and had several girls ask her to sit with them. No homework so that was great other than she was supposed to divide up a binder for literature but she left the paper in her locker. Fortunately she has a study hall before the class so she can label her dividers during that. We looked on the school website to see if we could email the teacher, but apparently they have a different teacher this year and haven't updated the site yet. I told to get the email and phone number of some girl so in case she forgets something again (which is bound to happen) she can call for the assignment or whatever. She did remember to bring home the paper that needs to be returned tomorrow so she can go on a retreat on Thursday. Two days of school and two days of retreat. Not a bad first week.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Amy, no she's not athletic but she'd like to be. I told her we would wait and see how this year goes academically before she tries any sports. She is going to be in choir though.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Erin Goodsi10

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Glad to hear things went well, Lori, except for the one glitch. Erin 70708
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm so glad that Erin had a good first day. That's great that several girls asked Erin to sit with them. The social piece is so HUGE, especially in high school. That had to have made Erin feel so much more at ease. Thanks for the update, Lori!

Erin TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Happy to hear all went well for the most part! Whew! And great that she'll be in choir! Thumbsup I'll bet you'll be able to sleep much easier tonight. Wink
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:53 pm

That's great, Erin did well in school, today. The girls ask her to sit with them. Thumbsup

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 am

Day 2 went well too. Now she is off to her retreat and will return tomorrow. I'm sure next week will have plenty of homework.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Erin Princesrank
Savannah

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Erin 6472 I'm so glad for her. It's so nice that some of the girls made her feel welcome. That's such a big deal - at any age, really - to have someone make you feel at home when you're walking into an unfamiliar situation.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Savannah wrote:
Erin 6472 I'm so glad for her. It's so nice that some of the girls made her feel welcome. That's such a big deal - at any age, really - to have someone make you feel at home when you're walking into an unfamiliar situation.

SO true. I'm relieved to hear things are still going well for her, Lori! I hope the retreat goes well too...that should reinforce newfound friendships too! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 am

She came home knowing a lot more kids, so now she has several more Facebook friends. She couldn't wait to go to school on Monday.

Erin Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Erin Princesrank
Savannah

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Lori wrote:
She couldn't wait to go to school on Monday.

Erin 6472 I'm SO glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know, Lori!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Erin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erin   Erin Empty

Back to top Go down

Erin
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next