Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What's your view on School Uniforms?

Go down 
+12
Amy
HarrisonCrosby4387
Rhonda
Savannah
LM
bethandmanly
Lily
ChristinaAL
Melissa
pamh36
RoseRed
Carol
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What do you think of School Uniforms?
I support it
What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_lcap41%What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_rcap
 41% [ 9 ]
I'm against it
What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_lcap14%What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
It doesn't matter
What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_lcap45%What's your view on School Uniforms? Vote_rcap
 45% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Happy010

What's your view on School Uniforms? Empty
PostSubject: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm

WHAT IS YOUR POINT OF VIEW ON SCHOOL UNIFORMS? ARE YOU FOR IT OR AGAINST IT?

What's your view on School Uniforms? SchoolUniforms

===============

I actually LIKE school uniforms. I liked wearing them from kindergarden to 2nd grade.
I think it sort of sets your mind that you are dressed for school where you will be learning.

I think it takes the pressure of what you are going to wear to school.... for people who don't have a lot of money, they don't have to worry that their clothes will be less than the other kids.

I'm for it Thumbsup

What's your view on School Uniforms? Horses10
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 2:16 pm

I used to be against it because I thought it discouraged individuality.

But over time I realized that there are so very many ways to be an individual that school uniforms don't take away from that.

And you can always wear whatever you want anywhere else.

I think school uniforms are good because it sets everyone as an equal right from the start and kids are more likely to make friends based on personality and likeabliity vs. based on what someone is wearing.

Kids often mistake someone for being "cool" based on their clothing and that is a huge mistake.
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm neither for or against. I never wore uniforms to school and don't ever remember there being any big issue over what people wore to school. My kids don't wear uniforms to their schools and buying clothes for them has never been an issue. I have a strict budget and we always find things they like within the budget.

On one hand, people who do not have a lot of money have to buy school uniforms, as well as clothes for everyday, so that may be a little tight. I'm not sure about that.

If it were an issue of what people wore to school, I could certainly see how dressing everyone similarly would help to alleviate that problem.

Our district has put to a vote before about bringing in uniforms to the dristrict. It didn't pass. I didn't vote because it would not bother me if my kids had to wear uniforms to school. I didn't feel strongly about the issue one way of the other. I'm sure they (my kids) wouldn't like it at first, but would get used to it in time.

What's your view on School Uniforms? PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 3:49 pm

When there are no school uniforms, there are certain girls who spend hours trying to find just 'the right' outfit, guys also tend to dress a certain way, for what? For popularity, to belong to a certain group.. and this is more so in elementary & middle school. My friend tends to have morning battles w/ her daughter over what she will wear... and a cousin of mine maxes out her mom's credit card to match her clothes w/ her rich friends.

People can still be very different even if they wear uniforms... the clothes don't make you who you are... do you want to be an individual and stand out? Do so by your character, your personality, the things you say & do are more important than showing off the latest trend.

When I was little & had to wear a school uniform, I just accepted it as part of the school rules... and left it at that... Anyway, here is a pic of me in one of my 3 uniforms I wore grinsmiley
What's your view on School Uniforms? Carol111

Pam, that's great that your kids respect your budget.... some kids out there... are the opposite...

Back to top Go down
Melissa
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Melissa

Number of posts : 561

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Honestly, I could care less about school uniforms. I see it's good and bad points, but when it comes down to it i don't think what children wear to school is such a big issue.

What's your view on School Uniforms? MelissaKeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm

I went with "neither" b/c that's really how I feel right now. I see a lot of benefits in wearing school uniforms (I wore them from K - 12 also Carol! grinsmiley), but it's really not an issue for me right at this time, which is why I went with that option.

What's your view on School Uniforms? ChristinaKeeper2 What's your view on School Uniforms? 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
What's your view on School Uniforms? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm for the uniforms. I remember a few years back, there was a trend of kids wearing pajamas pants to school, it was the most ridiculous thing I've ever saw, thought it was trashy. I've also seen some girls dress what I thought was too sexy for school. There have to be some guildlines as far as when you're in school which is a place for learning, not a night spot.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyTue May 22, 2007 10:57 pm

It doesn't matter to me. I went to Catholic school for 8 years and wearing a uniform never bothered me, but I honestly don't think forcing kids to wear a uniform is going to have all the positive results they think it will. Are you going to be able to concentrate on studying when you're too busy squirming in your chair because your clothes are uncomfortable? And for kids who don't like school to begin with, it is going to give them just another reason to hate it.

In theory, it works because the peer pressure is eliminated in some form. But wealthier children are still going to have nicer backpacks, lunch boxes, shoes, and school supplies than their not as fortunate peers. And not every child from an affluent family goes to private school.

I think if parents don't make a big deal out of the clothes their children wear, then their kids won't. If parents make it out to be unimportant, their children won't be as affected by the need to fit in by owning the latest fashions.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

Number of posts : 812
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Party010

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 3:01 am

bethandmanly wrote:
It doesn't matter to me. I went to Catholic school for 8 years and wearing a uniform never bothered me, but I honestly don't think forcing kids to wear a uniform is going to have all the positive results they think it will. Are you going to be able to concentrate on studying when you're too busy squirming in your chair because your clothes are uncomfortable? And for kids who don't like school to begin with, it is going to give them just another reason to hate it.

In theory, it works because the peer pressure is eliminated in some form. But wealthier children are still going to have nicer backpacks, lunch boxes, shoes, and school supplies than their not as fortunate peers. And not every child from an affluent family goes to private school.

I think if parents don't make a big deal out of the clothes their children wear, then their kids won't. If parents make it out to be unimportant, their children won't be as affected by the need to fit in by owning the latest fashions.

I agree with so much of what you said.

I really don't like the idea of uniforms in public schools. What bothers me about that, is many kids in public school don't have the means to get new school uniforms when needed. Private schools...you have your more wealthy families, and they expect to pay $$$ for as many uniforms they'd like, including all the various styles (shorts, skirts, pullovers, etc.)
There are children who rely on hand-me-downs from family and friends, and most times they're not in a school that requires uniforms.
I work with an after-school/summer program, and there are kids there from at least five different schools. Only one of those schools require uniforms. I've seen kids come in with half a uniform...the top, but not the matching pants. One little boy has often worn ragged jeans as his uniform pants, and another little girls has only about three pieces to make a uniform and they're faded and have holes in them. Her grandmother said it was much easier on them when the child could wear her cousin's hand-me-downs to school.

As for being uncomfortable in uniforms and not wanting to be in school because of it; yes I can see that, too.

There's also the issue of how a child with a tattered uniform would be picked on for that, in the way someone might pick on another child for not having expensive jeans. It goes either way. I've seen it many times.

You're right about parents not needing to make a big deal out of the fashions. That's where most of the biggest problems come from because the parents are buying the clothes, and some are even setting the trends for the kids as babies. When they've outgrown the high priced baby clothes, the parents don't want to shop for anything less than Hilfiger, Timberland's, Baby Phat, etc, because they probably feel they'll let the child down, and also won't hold whatever status they think they might have with these brands. A former co-worker spent over $60.00 for a pair of shoes for her one year old son. He was out of them within 2 months. She says she wants him to always dress as nicely as that. She'll go broke and set a bad example at the same time. No I've paid more than $50.00 for sneakers for myself, but I'm not growing anymore, and I don't mind paying for a bit more for something that I know will last for a really long time. I had a pair of Nike's that lasted over 5 years, and I wore them several days a week, throughout each season. So they were well worth the price.

Like I said, private school w/ uniforms, okay...that works for them. But public schools should end it. I agree that the kids should be more mindful of how they dress and remember they're still kids.

What's your view on School Uniforms? LMKeeper

dreamNwish Photo Art & Gifts - http://www.zazzle.com/dreamnwish_photo_art

"If you can't be good, be good at it."
Back to top Go down
http://hisbadgeherbadgefanfiction.bravehost.com/index.html

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 8:06 am

I went with no.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 12:27 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
It doesn't matter to me. I went to Catholic school for 8 years and wearing a uniform never bothered me, but I honestly don't think forcing kids to wear a uniform is going to have all the positive results they think it will.

Well no, I'm not for forcing the kids to wear uniforms. It's cool if the kids don't mind... and accept it as the dress code for the school.

I don't understand why money would be the problem though... maybe I'm going to sound naive here... but I'm just talking from experience ....
My mom would buy me 3 sets of uniforms... 3 skirts & 5 blouses...plus the required uniform for physical education. That is a whole lot less than what she would spend in buying me regular clothes for the entire school year....

I knew some poor kids (I'm talking about El Salvador poor) who only had 2 sets... and they would wear it and wash... they seemed to do fine...

But like I said, I guess some kids don't like wearing the uniform because it's either ugly to them or they just don't like it...

I really liked wearing uniforms...., the three different ones I wore to the different schools were all cute, so I liked it grinsmiley then, when I went to public school here in the U.S., I wore regular clothes, which was okay... but I would not have minded it all if uniforms would have been required. My mom said it cost more to buy regular clothes for the whole year, she would have preferred uniforms too.

Here is a youtube video I found of some uniforms used in Korea grinsmiley

School Uniform Collection

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Carol wrote:
I don't understand why money would be the problem though... maybe I'm going to sound naive here... but I'm just talking from experience ....
My mom would buy me 3 sets of uniforms... 3 skirts & 5 blouses...plus the required uniform for physical education. That is a whole lot less than what she would spend in buying me regular clothes for the entire school year....

I knew some poor kids (I'm talking about El Salvador poor) who only had 2 sets... and they would wear it and wash... they seemed to do fine...

I think the money thing could come down to this, each school might have a different uniform--at least that's the way it works with private schools--and if that's the case it could get costly. There is one school here which has Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Grade 1; three schools for Grade 2 through Grade 6; a school for Grades 7 & 8; and one regional high school that is shared with a neighboring town. Now, if a family has kids that will be in different schools at the same time--like my girls will be--then you have to buy more uniforms. And hand-me downs might not work right away. Then take into account that you will also need to have play clothes for your kids so that they don't destroy their uniforms after school.

I can't think of any child who would willing choose a uniform over regular clothes...especially if they had been wearing regular clothes to school prior to that. I think it's just a hard transition for everyone to make.

If it happened here, would it affect my family too much, probably not. But I do know, that my sisters and I went to a school where uniforms were required, and my parents struggled with the cost of clothing--especially because my middle sister didn't have the same body shape as me and my older sister. So, hand me downs weren't an option for her for uniforms or regular clothes.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
What's your view on School Uniforms? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 1:02 pm

I don't have a problem with school uniforms, and think that they can have a positive affect. But I can see the problem with money, too. A lot of people with a lower income go yard saling or to Goodwill for clothes for their children. Especially since children grow so quickly! To have to come up with the money for uniforms could be a hardship for them.

Last edited by on Wed May 23, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 1:04 pm

The whole point in school is to prepare a child for a future career.

We teach them that punctuality is important, working hard, being fair, getting along with peers and teachers (bosses in the future) etc etc.

It makes sense that they would dress a certain way (functionality and professionalism) when they go to work.

I doubt very many people dress the same way they would dress on the weekends...at work.

It sort of just sets the stage for future habits.

Whenever kids do something inappropriate, I hear parents saying "you wouldnt do that at school would you?"
But it amazes me what these same parents allow their children to wear to school.
They should take school seriously, and wearing baggy pants in which all can see your crack...is not taking it seriously.
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 1:06 pm

Savannah wrote:
I don't have a problem with school uniforms, and think that they can have a positive affect. But I can see the problem with money, too. A lot of people with a lower income go yard saling or to Goodwill for clothes for their children. Especially since children grow so quickly! To have to come up with the money for uniforms could be a hardship for them.

Most schools that require uniforms have a form a parent can fill out requesting reduced cost or even free uniform based on their income...the same way they have reduced lunch tickets.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
What's your view on School Uniforms? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I absolutely agree that there needs to be a dress code in the schools. Some of the things I've seen them wearing to school!! It's disrespectful of themselves, and they don't even seem to realize it. I always wonder where the parents' brains are when I see little tiny girls wearing clothes that look like they're trying to show as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 3:09 pm

RoseRed, is right about the uniforms… hopefully all the schools have that option to offer reduced price or free uniforms to low income families. For those that have to buy them, let’s say that they are expensive… well they may be at first, but remember, that is what they will wear throughout the entire school year… so in the long run, you DO end up saving money I believe. Thumbsup

In school… people who dress the same tend to hang out together. For example, there are the people who are called ‘preppies’ because of how nice they dress, there are the poor people, there are the kids who dress in baggy clothes, the kids who dress like tramps lol, the kids who dress normal and the kids who dress all in black, w/ dark lipstick, thick spike chains, etc…
I don’t think that a jock will hang out w/ a group of emo kids dressed the way he is. So in a way, kids tend to avoid talking to certain kids by the way they are dressed. So, wearing a uniform would force student to get to know each other by who they really are as a person.

Kids these days are very influenced by the media and tend to imitate their favorite movie stars, celebrities, etc… In all my public school years, I have seen a lot of clothes that are not appropriate for school… things like shirts promoting drugs, suicide, satanic stuff, shirts promoting alcohol & violence.

Even little girls in elementary start wearing innapropriate clothing. I know some girls who leave their home wearing something and change in the bathroom when they get to school. I'm talking about 10 year old girls wearing something similar to what a streethooker would wear. It's not good. School is the place for education, not a place to show your latest fashion. There are plenty of times when you can do that after school.

Here are some pics of how some kids go dressed to school. Huh?

What's your view on School Uniforms? Goth_Fashion_Statement

What's your view on School Uniforms? Bluebloodhoodie

What's your view on School Uniforms? Nn_mank_baggy_061024.300w

What's your view on School Uniforms? MS13Membersjpg

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Purple2

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Kids dressed like that would not be allowed in our school. We have a dress code and they make the kids stick to it. If you come to school with something offensive on the front of your shirt, they make you turn it wrong side out or go home and change, no mohawks, no crazy colors in the hair, no piercings, except for ears, no tattoos.......and if your pants are baggy and hang down, (sagging) the coach will get a rope and tie them up for you! :haha:

Kids dressed like you have in the picture above, have no pride in themselves whatsoever. No

What's your view on School Uniforms? Rhonda10What's your view on School Uniforms? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 4:10 pm

I really, really hate that boxer hanging out of the pants look.

lol

ugh
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 5:02 pm

Rhonda wrote:
.....and if your pants are baggy and hang down, (sagging) the coach will get a rope and tie them up for you! :haha:

I would love to see that! Laughing

RoseRed wrote:
I really, really hate that boxer hanging out of the pants look. lol ugh

I hate it also. I saw a kid working at Target with his pants down like that... he wasn't showing his boxers but his shirt looked pretty long... the kid couldn't even walk right! mad

Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : What's your view on School Uniforms? Happy011

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyWed May 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I doesn't really matter to me. I didn't mind wearing them when I was in grade school. It is better than having to figure out what to wear. I wear scrubs a lot to work. It's a lot easier.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyThu May 24, 2007 6:04 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Carol wrote:

------

I think the money thing could come down to this, each school might have a different uniform--at least that's the way it works with private schools--and if that's the case it could get costly. There is one school here which has Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Grade 1; three schools for Grade 2 through Grade 6; a school for Grades 7 & 8; and one regional high school that is shared with a neighboring town. Now, if a family has kids that will be in different schools at the same time--like my girls will be--then you have to buy more uniforms. And hand-me downs might not work right away. Then take into account that you will also need to have play clothes for your kids so that they don't destroy their uniforms after school.

I can't think of any child who would willing choose a uniform over regular clothes...especially if they had been wearing regular clothes to school prior to that. I think it's just a hard transition for everyone to make.

Yeess! Carol. I don't think I could have said it any better! Thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyThu May 24, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm just saying... if 2nd & 3rd world countries can afford to have uniforms in school (a lot of the countries do), then I'm sure America can afford to have it.... Like Rose said, I'm sure there are programs where low income families can get reduced or free uniforms.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyThu May 24, 2007 7:36 pm

I see the good in the uniforms. I had a lot of friends who had a hard time having all the "cool" clothes and got picked on and if uniforms happened it might have been eaiser. I know the uniforms are not cheap, but they are cheaper than some of the "cool" clothes. I was always an outside the box kid and wore clothes that I like that were never really cool and I got picked on, but I did not matter to me. I liked my weird stuff. I think the uniforms take some of the problems like inapproprated clothing out of schools and it makes everyone equal in what they have. So I think in that case they are good. And as for making people lose who they are... remember people are who they are because of their personality not what they wear.
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? EmptyMon May 28, 2007 2:54 am

:fyi: Before I'm accused of being "preachy", soapbox just know that it's not my intent. I just get started on an interesting topic and like to express myself. When I find people who are willing to have deep discussions on various topics I like, I go for it. So accuse yourselves of being interesting. Thumbsup

Here we go......

I've never heard of any free or reduced priced uniforms here. But that doesn't mean it's not so...I don't know everything. It'd be great it such a thing exsists now, or will in the near future. happy1

And as for 2nd and 3rd world countries having people to afford uniforms, some are donated by out of country sponsers. I've seen many documentaries where a lot of kids have only one uniform that they wash and wear every day. That wouldn't work well here in the states. It'd be called a form of neglect and the parents would be penalized for it.
I feel so bad for those kids in other countries who can't attend school w/o a uniform. So unfair. Here, we have kids ditching school and throwing away the best thing ever...education.

As for the "cool" clothes not being affordable; that's when the parents need to be parents and tell the kids "You'll get what I can afford! End of story!"

One of my students came to the after-school program in a really nice uniform skirt last week. It looked to be one of the very expensive types, with pleats, and decorative zippers on one side. Very cute. When I, and the other counselors commented on the skirt to the child, two other kids in tattered uniforms looked as if we'd hurt their feelings. We didn't mean anything of the sort, but it gives a great example of how no matter what you wear, there's always someone with a better looking brand/style of what you have.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your view on School Uniforms?   What's your view on School Uniforms? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your view on School Uniforms?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next