Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paper or Plastic?

Go down 
+7
Melissa
RoseRed
flatbroke
HarrisonCrosby4387
LIWnut
Rhonda
Carol
11 posters

What kind of bags does your grocery store have?
Paper
Paper or Plastic? Vote_lcap0%Paper or Plastic? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Plastic
Paper or Plastic? Vote_lcap63%Paper or Plastic? Vote_rcap
 63% [ 5 ]
Both
Paper or Plastic? Vote_lcap37%Paper or Plastic? Vote_rcap
 37% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Happy010

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 2:00 pm

Paper or Plastic? Dro0083l

I don't know how it is in your grocery store but it seems that several stores here are only offering plastic bags now. I tried to use paper as much as I could but I notice that stores are getting rid of the paper bags. Which is really better to use? Well, here are some interesting facts taken from the papernorplastic.com website.

Paper or Plastic? Cut_trees
According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), the United States in 1997 alone used 955,000 tons of paper bags. That means approximately 14.8 million trees had to be cut down.

Paper or Plastic? Oil_barrels
According to the EPA, 11 barrels of oil are saved when one ton of plastic bags are reused or recycled. One ton is equivalent to approximately 132,000 plastic bags. And according to the ELC (Environmental Literacy Council), it is estimated that somewhere between 500 billion to one trillion plastic bags are consumed each year throughout the world. Can you imagine how many barrels of oil can be saved?

Paper or Plastic? Waterdepartment
According to the San Francisco Department of the Environment, San Francisco shoppers consume about 50 million bags each year. An environmental study also shows that the city spends $8.5 million each year to dispose or remove bags from streets and storm drains.

Paper or Plastic? Seaturtle
According to the EPA, ELC, The Ocean Conservancy and many other agencies, plastic bags pose a threat to marine life. Sea turtles and whales have mistaken plastic bags for natural prey like jellyfish and squid. Ingesting plastic bags can cause blockage to the digestive tract which leads to starvation. In 2002, a whale washed up the coast of Normandy had 800 grams of plastic elements, including plastic bags, in its stomach.

==================

I would sometimes take the old plastic bags which were still in good condition to the store and reuse them... but I might buy me one of those bags that are mention in the website. :sillySmiley:

Paper or Plastic? Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Purple2

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Our stores only have the plastic bags, but the Wal*Mart has a campaign going with all the area schools to recycle them. The schools are collecting bags and the one to get the most, gets a big money grant to their school. They announced the winner for this year a month ago, and the schools are already collecting for next year................a lot of people carry canvas bags for groceries, but I don't have enough canvas bags to carry my stuff, so I will donate my bags back to the elementary school in my area................
Paper or Plastic? 15_2_138

Paper or Plastic? Rhonda10Paper or Plastic? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Cloud910

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 2:49 pm

Our stores have plastic. But there are some that don't give bags out, they sell them. I never buy them. I recycle ones that I already have. If they don't want to pay to advertize their store, I'm not paying to do it!

Paper or Plastic? MarilynKeeper Paper or Plastic? Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Happy011

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2007 5:21 pm

It's more sturdy with both. Our stores here don't like to give paper bags, you actually have to ask for them. I think that is so stupid.

That's nice what your stores do Rhonda. :CoolSign:

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Party010

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Rhonda wrote:
Our stores only have the plastic bags, but the Wal*Mart has a campaign going with all the area schools to recycle them. The schools are collecting bags and the one to get the most, gets a big money grant to their school. They announced the winner for this year a month ago, and the schools are already collecting for next year................a lot of people carry canvas bags for groceries, but I don't have enough canvas bags to carry my stuff, so I will donate my bags back to the elementary school in my area................
Paper or Plastic? 15_2_138

What she said.....
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

Number of posts : 372

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 4:40 pm

I use paper.

At the end of the day...despite all the controversy surrounding "paper vs. plastic"...paper comes from a renewable resource.

We just need to remember to "renew" that resource :)

You remain responsible.. Forever...
For what you have tamed.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Melissa

Number of posts : 561

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptySat Jul 07, 2007 10:00 pm

Neither! We bring cloth sacks with us to the supermarket/stores and just wash and reuse them all the time. If only everyone did the same imagine how many trees would be saved and animals lives spared (due to their ingestion of plastic objects).

Paper or Plastic? MelissaKeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptySun Jul 08, 2007 2:00 am

Usually plastic, but if it's there are a lot of heavy things all being put in one bag, I'll use paper b/c I think it's a little sturdier.

Paper or Plastic? ChristinaKeeper2 Paper or Plastic? 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Xmassm4

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyWed Jul 11, 2007 3:55 pm

My store offers both. They do have a new "Easy Scan" system in place, and when I signed up I received a huge cloth bag that attaches to the cart. I love it! I can fit the majority of my groceries in it. So at most, I use 1 or 2 plastic bags per trip.
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Happy010

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptySun May 29, 2011 2:54 am

None; they're banned in South Australia; we have to use reusable cloth ones like these.

Paper or Plastic? BNW10

Paper or Plastic? Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Paper or Plastic? Headac10

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 pm

We have to pay $5 cents for plastic bags. Or we have to buy and re-use cloth bags

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paper or Plastic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper or Plastic?   Paper or Plastic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper or Plastic?
Page 1 of 1