Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Store Bought

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Store Bought Bokmal10

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 6:01 am

Interesting article about the word 'boughten'...........

Column: Little grammar question on the prairie

by Jordan Fischer · April 7, 2015

QUESTION: “My sister and I are working on hand-stitching Laura Ingalls Wilder quilts. We are also both reading all the Little House on the Prairie books to get into the whole pioneer frame of mind.

I was surprised to come across the word ‘boughten,’ which Laura uses to describe anything that is store-bought. I looked it up and it is actually a word! (Even though I see my spell-checker doesn’t agree.)

Dictionary.com states that it is a Northern and North Midland U.S. nonstandard word.

I am from Illinois and we never used that word. It’s always been “store-bought” when describing items that were not hand-made.

Do people still use this word today or is it now out of fashion, (as the Little House books were published between 1932 and 1943)? Was it out of fashion even back then yet written into the books as it was a word she may have used as a child and the books are written from her childhood days? Or was it a perfectly acceptable word to use at the time of publishing? (Or now, too, for that matter)? It just sounds so weird and incorrect.” – (Becky Kelly)

ANSWER: This is a really interesting question, Becky, and I love the “Little House on the Prairie” books, so I’m excited to have received it.

The earliest recorded use of “boughten” I could find was 1738. Several sources identify it as a Midwestern word – and it does have that sort of feel to it – but I suspect a better description would be a “homesteader” word.

While the “Little House” books first began publishing in the early 1930s, the first few books were set during Laura Ingalls Wilder’s childhood in the 1860s in what was essentially the undeveloped wilderness of Wisconsin and Kansas (and later Minnesota). Wisconsin had only been a state at that point for about 20 years (it was entered into the Union in 1848), and Kansas’ statehood was in its infancy (it was admitted into the Union in 1861).
All of that is to say that the books take place in parts of the country were language often took an older and more stratified form. Homesteaders often lived far away from one another, keeping contact and exchange of language to a minimum. Access to formal education wasn’t assured, nor was it necessarily a priority. And finally, many of the homesteaders themselves were from an earlier era: Laura’s father Charles Ingalls was born in 1836, and her paternal grandparents (both of whom appear in at least the first book), were born in 1810 and 1812.

I also have a feeling, admittedly unsubstantiated by my research, that the word “boughten” carried a special meaning in places where almost everything was homemade out of necessity. If I recall the books correctly, the Ingalls had glass window panes they had purchased from a store that they carried around everywhere with them like a treasure. I imagine they probably were, being nearly irreplaceable in the prairie of 1870s Kansas.

What it boils down to is that, no, people were probably not saying “boughten” very often by the 1930s when the books were published, but Laura very likely did hear it often growing up on the prairie. And I’m OK with that. To me, it seems like a very quintessentially Midwestern word.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Store Bought Love-s10

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 2:42 pm

Well isn't THAT interesting?! scratchead  That is actually a 'pet-peeve' word for me---one of those where I'll hear people say it from time to time and think how silly---they don't know that's not a word!  Guess the joke's on me!  I guess I personally would consider it 'out of fashion' as the article questions, but I suppose it's 'acceptable' after all!  Who knew?! greenS

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Store Bought Bokmal10

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 6:46 am

peeve - definition

/piːv/ verb

1. (transitive) to irritate; vex; annoy

noun

2. something that irritates; vexation: it was a pet peeve of his

I know EXACTLY what you mean Amy!

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : Store Bought Mornincoffee

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptySun May 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Cool that you are so into little house.

i am to into little house on the prerier. and laura. i love laura has she writes letters like me and read to..
did she wrote diary to? i don't know.

has anyone a photo of lauras letters? and do anyone know if she keept a diary?
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Store Bought Purple2

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Laura's books would pretty much be her diary, although many things were changed that might've been more than small children reading her books could handle. In later years, Laura wrote Pioneer Girl; which gave more insight into her life. In more recent years Pamela Smith Hill wrote Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography; which people say is more gritty than they like but still a good background.

As far as letters, William Anderson wrote a book, "Letters to and from Laura Ingalls Wilder" which contained letters that children had written to Mrs. Wilder when she got famous for her books and the return letters she wrote back to them. I was honored to sit in attendance at the Grand Opening of the new Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Mansfield, Missouri and listen to Mr. Anderson read some of these letters from his book.

Store Bought Img_0210
William Anderson reading from his book "Letters to and from Laura Ingalls Wilder"
Store Bought Img_0211
Pamela Smith Hill talking about her book Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography
Store Bought Img_0213
Sign at the entrance to Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Mansfield, Missouri
Store Bought Img_0212
LIW Museum on Grand Opening Day

Store Bought Rhonda10Store Bought Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
maria1
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 276
Mood : Store Bought Mornincoffee

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 4:49 am

thank you so much. i will try look for the books. i am from sweden. maby i will find them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Store Bought Empty
PostSubject: Re: Store Bought   Store Bought Empty

Back to top Go down

Store Bought
Page 1 of 1